Running a show truck

Hi all,

I’m currently looking at buying an old unit for restoration/tidy up and entering it into shows etc. I’ve got an idea of what it will cost for the buying and painting of the truck but as for insurance, road tax etc not a clue. I’ve heard I can insure it on restricted use as a motor home and this way in turn I would pay basic car road tax. Is this true? Anyone out there already in on the show scene with trucks that could help me?

Thanks

pretty sure you can get cheaper tax i think that you have to keep fifth wheel covered so as to prove you are not using the unit

I’m not sure on the correct classes for retaxing but its worth looking at how cheap the tax will come down just for taxing at a lower weight.

There are companies out there who do insurance policies for classic trucks. I’d suggest the NFU [national farmers union] they have a department for such things.

euroscot wrote;

I’m currently looking at buying an old unit for restoration/tidy up and entering it into shows etc. I’ve got an idea of what it will cost for the buying and painting of the truck but as for insurance, road tax etc not a clue. I’ve heard I can insure it on restricted use as a motor home and this way in turn I would pay basic car road tax. Is this true? Anyone out there already in on the show scene with trucks that could help me?

As for taxing it mate if your just going to use it private, shows etc i think you get a V85 form from DVLA, don’t no how much the tax is though.

ps The 4x2 unit i used to have, i plated at 31 ton and that was only £160 a year,so make sure it aint more than that :slight_smile:

A subject that has been debated many times on here. As an owner of such a vehicle, I believe I may be qualified to speak.

The vehicle would be taxed as private HGV, which I believe is similar in cost to PLG (Car tax). If your vehicle is old enough (pre 1973) it would qualify for Historic Class and would be free.

There are many insurers to choose from, most of which will cost less than you would for a private car. Get Classic & Vintage Commercials or Heritage Commercials magazines - insurers advertise in these publications regularly.

If you are buying a tractor unit, you don’t need to have the fifth wheel covered or removed if you have the correct class of licence.

Killsville, you have PM.

A major expense which doesn’t appear to have been mentioned thus far is that of storage.

If you want your pride & joy to remain in a presentable condition, you will need covered, secure storage. Thats a subject worthy of it’s own debate.

mechanic77:
Killsville, you have PM.

Got It!

Check your Inbox! :wink:

storage is not a problem, I could easily find a shed up here to store it in, there everywhere.

All you need to do is change the good type on the V5 from trade HGV to private HGV. The tax is £165 ish a year. You can still pull a trailer whether it be loaded or empty, it’s just not for hire or reward. The truck goes through a normal HGV MOT every year also. If you speak with NFU Mutual they will sort out some insurance for you. My F10 costs around £100 per year.
The only next big bill is getting into show condition. Which trust me cost lots of time and a bit of money depending how practical you are with spanner and how good your mechanical knowledge is.
I’m just re-painting the chassis on mine at the minute and in order to get a good jobs done the best way is to do it yourself, otherwise your paying someone else to undo nuts and bolts.

Hope this helps a little.

Yeah that does help, thanks. With regards to painting etc, think I’ll get someone to do all that for me as I don’t have the facilitys or knowledge to do so. My dad is a time served HGV mechanic so basic maintenance shouldn’t be a problem either, I have a few friends that own small fleets with garages so thats also handy. I was quoted £2200 for the chassis shot blasted, painted and cab also painted, which I think is quited reasonable for the extent of the job. I never knew the insurance and road tax could be so cheap, does age and licence held time effect the cost of insurance?? Reason being I’m only 21.

Can you advise me on how the law relates to using the tachograph when running the truck as described by F10 Globetrotter?

I think the tacho laws would still apply

I’ve heard I can insure it on restricted use as a motor home and this way in turn I would pay basic car road tax. Is this true

If you register the vehicle as Private then you only pay ordinary ‘car’ road tax. . You only tax them as LGV when they are used for carrying goods - hire and reward.

No tachos are needed in a private vehicle either.