Plated Weights and Trailers

Ladies & Gentlemen.

Your assistance please. It’s stupid question time.

I’m looking at doing some sub-contract work for DHL/Morrisons. We have two tri-axle units plated at 44 tonnes.

The work is ambient goods, using DHL’s trailers. Some of which will no-doubt be two-axle trailers.

One of my drivers is adamant that you can only pull a tri-axle trailer with a tri-axle unit plated at 44 tonnes.

I disagree. Obviously we can’t run at 44 tonnes with a two-axle trailer. It’ll be 40.

I got a half-baked answer from the RHA, so thought I’d ask the experts!

Please somebody tell me I’m right! I can I pull two-axled trailers, can’t I?!!!

I get confused with this as well
unit plated at 44 tonnes & trailer plated at 30 tonnes :confused: :confused: :confused:

ROG:
unit plated at 44 tonnes & trailer plated at 30 tonnes :confused: :confused: :confused:

:unamused: :unamused:

The tractor unit is “responsible” for the weight of the whole rig.
The trailer is only “responsible” for itself and the load.

As far as I understand it,you can run a 3 axle tractor with any number of axles on your trailer,but your permitted gross weight reduces accordingly.
Check your road tax tables,it tells you the max weights for different tractor/trailer combinations in your tax band.(as long as your trailer is plated for the weight of course).Unless I’ve been doing it wrong all these years…

Simon:

ROG:

So you would have to know the unladen weights of both the unit and the trailer if you put it onto a weighbridge to see if it was legal :question: :confused:

It’s a RFL thing isn’t it?
You’re allowed to pull a Tandem trailer on air at 40T and 38T on steel, but you have to be taxed accordingly.
Just cheched at 44t you’re in band E £1200 that allows you up to 38T, if you want to go to 40T you need to go to band G £1350 I think

The answer is simple - you can pull any trailer with any unit subject to a number of conditions.

To answer your specific question, if you have a 3 axle unit plated at 44 tons and taxed in band E, then you can run up to 44t gross with a suitable 3 axle trailer or 38t gross with a suitable 2 axle trailer without the need to do anything regarding the plating or taxing of the unit.

Paul

ROG:

That simply means that the maximum permitted weight of the trailer and the load on it is 30 tonnes, and that the maximum permitted weight of that lot plus the tractor unit is 44 tonnes.

Of course, to throw a spanner in those works, if your trailer is plated at 30t then It isn’t going to be a tri axle one, and therefore you can’t run at 44t gross anyway. Assuming it’s a tandem trailer and your 3 axle unit is taxed in band E it means you can run at 38t gross.

Paul

repton:

ROG:

That simply means that the maximum permitted weight of the trailer and the load on it is 30 tonnes, and that the maximum permitted weight of that lot plus the tractor unit is 44 tonnes.

Of course, to throw a spanner in those works, if your trailer is plated at 30t then It isn’t going to be a tri axle one, and therefore you can’t run at 44t gross anyway. Assuming it’s a tandem trailer and your 3 axle unit is taxed in band E it means you can run at 38t gross.

Paul

Got all that- thanks BUT I would still need to know the unladen weight of the unit and each trailer, or combination of both, if I was asked “how much weight can we put on there driver” - am I correct :question:

Simon:

:unamused: :unamused: @ me.

In an attempt at brevity, it seems I was a bit too brief and missed out a couple of words.

Should have said.

The trailer is only “responsible” for itself and its share of the load.

I rather expected you to be able to fill them in yourself though.

And, yes, of course you have to have a good idea of the tare of your complete truck. Mine weighs 15.25 tonnes, with 3/4 of a tank of diesel.

ROG:

repton:

ROG:

Paul

Got all that- thanks BUT I would still need to know the unladen weight of the unit and each trailer, or combination of both, if I was asked “how much weight can we put on there driver” - am I correct :question:

True, but you can always take it over a weighbridge there are loads of em, you’d probably be able to carry about 24t on a 3 & 2 at 38t at a very rough rule of thumb.

not sure where we’re going with this, seems a lot of confussion which is basically brought about by daft taxation classes that make no sense, basicaly if you’ve got a 6x2 unit on air you tax it in band E = £1200 (without rpc), you can then pull any trailer you like regardless if that trailer only gives you a gvw of 40 or 38t but run a 4x2 and your obliged to pay the higher rate unless you down plate to a lower weight, at least thats the way i’ve always understood it.

ROG:

but dosn’t that go for any trailer/ unit combination no matter what setup? i’ve pulled flats that were a ton or more difference in terms of a tare weight, i’ve also had units that were the best part of a ton different i.e EC11 - FH12, if in doubt weigh it and cover your back, i reckon.