44t question!

OK ,
am putting my hands up and agoing to admit am stupid!
My unit it is a 6x2 platted at 44t, and road taxted as such ,
NOW,
the problem is the trailer we asked for a 44t trailer(tri axel) , but its just came back from "plating " saying its 38 for use in UK , design 40!
cant get any nswwers of BOALLOY as they went down the tubes a few weeks ago!!!
i have been told by other drivers who are also running 44t with the same set up that the trailer is plated at 38/39/40 so it can carry this weight ITSELF!!!, so i am LEGAL, or am i ILLEGAL? if running 44t ?

all help would be appriciated

38t is gross weight for trailer i.e trailer plus load although obviously it’ll never see that weight as that would give you a gvw of about 46t with a unit, so yes it’s legal at 44t gross.

As Paul said, your legal.
Somewhere on the plating cert it should state the max weight that can be carried on the trailer axles, and max weight that can be imposed on the pin, which should all add up to the 38tonne plated weight.

THANKS guys,
Just had it in my mind that it should say on the plate , 44T ,(even if it sayed combination weight) but im a lot more happy now,
much rather look stupid on here than be stupid and fined at a VOSPA check!

Fallmonk:
Just had it in my mind that it should say on the plate , 44T ,(even if it sayed combination weight) but im a lot more happy now

Nope, as others have already said, the 38t is the weight of the trailer so unless you have a 6x2 unit that weighs less than 6 tons (which you won’t, even the very lightest are over 7 tons with fuel and driver), then you’re perfectly legal up to 44t gross.

Paul