Gross weights. advice please

One of our drivers was sent for a reload.

He had a daf CF85.430 3axle with center lift.The trailer was a tandem box,but the tyres were bigger than usual super singles,and are plated at 9000kg per axle.
The plate on the trailer said maximum gross was 34000kg.

He was supposed to load 21840kg in the trailer.
This plus the tractor and trailer came to around 36000kg.
Is this legal ,as the plate for the trailer said 34000kg gross.

I went in for a load and because ive got a downrated tractor to 34000kg i couldnt pick the load up.

Any advive please

Cheers
Tony b

as the plate for the trailer said 34000kg gross.

Says it all really :stuck_out_tongue:

A 5 axle combination is allowed to operate at 40 tons gross vehicle weight. The 34 ton plate on the trailer is the maximum design weight for the trailer, this means that provided your taxed to operate at 40 tons, and assuming that your tractor weighs in at more than 6 tons, then as long as you dont exceed 40 ton gross you wont have exceeded the design weight for your trailer. In my understanding anyway :wink: IF your trailer weighs approx 7 ton unladen and the tractor weighs approx 8 ton unladen, then you could load 25 tons on to your trailer, I dont know what the correct unladen weights are for your outfit but i reckon i’m not to far a drift. would pay you to get a tare at one point :wink:

eddie snax:
A 5 axle combination is allowed to operate at 40 tons gross vehicle weight.

Providing that:

a)It’s been certified at that weight,
b)It’s been taxed to run at that weight and with that number of axles at that weight.

Just saying that a 5 axle rig can run at 40 tonnes max weight is completely irrelevent if it’s not got a plating certificate or tax disc for 40 tonnes.

eddie snax:
this means that provided your taxed to operate at 40 tons,:

This would be the sentence that you didnt notice Conor,
It would only get taxed at that weight if it was plated to run at that weight, which answers both a) and b) in your post :wink:
Which means that i didnt just say that a 5 axle rig can run at 40 tons, :wink:

eddie snax:
It would only get taxed at that weight if it was plated to run at that weight,

Not necessarily. I know of one haulier in Hull who had 4x2 Scannies plated for 38 tonnes taxed as 26 tonnes because they were on a contract moving empty metal drums on a single axle trailer. Saved them a fortune in VED.

Conor:

eddie snax:
It would only get taxed at that weight if it was plated to run at that weight,

Not necessarily. I know of one haulier in Hull who had 4x2 Scannies plated for 38 tonnes taxed as 26 tonnes because they were on a contract moving empty metal drums on a single axle trailer. Saved them a fortune in VED.

Agreed, but as i understand it to tax below the design or max uk weight, (where the design weight exceeds the max uk weight), you have to get the plating cert" changed to the required taxing weight, this can only be done at a VOSA test station, though the design weight on the scania you mentioned had not changed, the plated weight had. I think ! so if tonyb’s rig was taxed to run at 40tons, easy enough to look in the window to check, then it would be plated for that :wink:
though i’m more than ready to be corrected if i’ve got the wrong end of the stick :wink:

tonyb…:

As others have said…

If the trailer is plated at 34000kg gross then unless it weighs more than 12160kg empty (which is highly unlikely) then there’s no problem with that as long as all the other legal requirements are met (i.e. plated weight of the unit, taxed weight of the unit, number of axles on the ground, the individual axle weights and the weight on the pin). The MGW for the trailer doesn’t include the weight of the unit.

Paul

as a rule, just fill the trailer up till its tyres are looking about a quarter flat, that aught to do it! :wink:

the firm i sub off run loads of tandem axle trailers and load them with 25t.
it’s very unclear with the road tax issue, i’m taxed at 44t so you’d think that would cover you for anything but the confussion lies in the fact that tax @ 40t is in a higher band and therefore more expensive! so does that mean if i pull a tandem axle trailer i’ve got the wrong tax?

paul b:
the firm i sub off run loads of tandem axle trailers and load them with 25t.
it’s very unclear with the road tax issue, i’m taxed at 44t so you’d think that would cover you for anything but the confussion lies in the fact that tax @ 40t is in a higher band and therefore more expensive! so does that mean if i pull a tandem axle trailer i’ve got the wrong tax?

The thing is you’re -not- taxed “at 44t” you’re taxed (I assume) in tax band E (1200quid a year). This allows your 44t plated 3 axle unit to run up to a gross weight of 44t with a 3 axle semitrailer, or 38t with a 2 axle semitrailer, or 36t with a single axle semitrailer (with the usual caveat of not overloading any individual axle too of course).

So, if they’re putting 25t onto a tandem axle trailer, you’re alright as long as your unit and trailer tare at 13t or less which I would guess with a flat they do.

See http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/taxation.htm for full details of the various bands and costs.

Paul

Thanks for the replys.

A bit of a mixed bag or results.But i suppose its like alot of things in our industry,we dont know its wrong until they get the big law book out.

Our office staff said it was ok.But because it was plated to 34000kg on the trailer,thats why the questions started.

Cheers
Tony b

tonyb…:
One of our drivers was sent for a reload.

He had a daf CF85.430 3axle with center lift.The trailer was a tandem box,but the tyres were bigger than usual super singles,and are plated at 9000kg per axle.
The plate on the trailer said maximum gross was 34000kg.

I went in for a load and because ive got a downrated tractor to 34000kg i couldnt pick the load up.

Any advive please
stick to the axle weights because if any where that is where they will do you ,
9 ton per axle plus 10 1/2 on the pin is 28 1/2 ton minus aprox 6 ton for the trailer leaves 22 1/2 ton , your mate grossed out at a train weight 36 ton with the unit and trailer so he should have been alright ,
the plate weight of 34 t was for the trailer not train weight , if you put 34 ton on a tandem axle you will get done
stick to the axle weight ,
I pull irish trailers and have the arguement almost every day they expect you to put the full 34 ton on there

Cheers
Tony b

you put 34t on anything and you’ll get done both on axle and gross weights :open_mouth:
with my 6x2 pulling a tri on air, i’ll get a max payload of 29.5t but wouldn’t even consider loading that, unless it was something that filled the entire lengh of the trailer!