Anybody know the weight limit of

A 3 axle unit and a single axle 10m trailer combo.

I’ve done a bit of looking around for C&U regs and there seems to be 3 different calculations

1, maximum gross weight of a 3 axle unit - 26,000 kgs

• maximum gross weight of single axle trailer - 11,500 kgs = 37,500 kgs

2, multiply the distance between the foremost and rearmost axles in metres by the maximum permitted factor in kilograms this being 6,000 kgs for a tractor unit

3, Atriculated vehicles with 4 axle combination 36,000 kgs (or if a 2 axle unit and 2 axle combo 38,000)

I think it’s probably the last one but if anybody knows better let me know

check the plate on the trailer that should tell you though i would think it would only be a max of 32 ton probably less

shows my lack of knowledge on this because I always thought that the MAX weight was down to the number of total axles -

2 axles = 18 tonnes
3 axles = 26 tonnes
4 axles = 32 tonnes
5 axles = 38 tonnes
6 axles = 44 tonnes

That’s what I always thought but that was probably from a MMTM :blush:

ROG:
shows my lack of knowledge on this because I always thought that the MAX weight was down to the number of total axles -

2 axles = 18 tonnes
3 axles = 26 tonnes
4 axles = 32 tonnes
5 axles = 38 tonnes
6 axles = 44 tonnes

Wouldn’t that be 40 tonnes for 5 axles?

Assuming it’s taxed in band E (the normal 44tons on 6 axles band) then in theory you can run up to 36000kg but I would doubt you could do that in practice within the permitted gross and axle weights of the unit and trailer unless it was something pretty special.

What I mean by that is that most 3 axle units are plated for a MGW of something in the region of 23500kg, so even if your trailer allows the maximum permitted axle weight of 11500kg that limits you to 35000kg. In practice the trailer axle isn’t likely to be plated above 10000kg and the trailer pin at 12000kg which would limit you to about 30500kg assuming your tractor unit weighs about 8500kg. If the trailer axle was a normal super single axle plated at 8000kg then you’re limited to about 28500kg (with the same 8500kg tractor unit).

So to conclude - there is no simple answer. A copy of the trailers plating certificate and knowing the weight of the tractor unit would enable one to be given though.

Paul

Jonah 1:

ROG:

2 axles = 18 tonnes
3 axles = 26 tonnes
4 axles = 32 tonnes
5 axles = 38 tonnes
6 axles = 44 tonnes

Woulden’t that be 40 tonnes for 5 axles?

Hi Jonah 1, I was thinking exactly the same thing…

I can clearly remember driving an Air Products liquid CO2 tanker that was a 2+3 and it was defo plated for 40t.

IMHO, the limiting factor (in practice) might be the authorised load on the single trailer axle before you hit the permitted weight for the whole vehicle when coupled.

You’ll have to forgive ROG for being … errr… a bit of a ROG :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :grimacing:

I’ll just have to weight (weight - wait geddit?) until the trailer turns up.

I just thought if anybody was running one I’d find out before