Max weight of single axle unit with tri axle trailer

[as above…im having a memory block

Whats it say on the plate ■■?

also depends who much road tax has been paid.

Single axle unit? One of these?

About 100 kilos I’d guess.

The mods have got some tidying up to do when they get back. They leave us alone for five minutes and look at the mess you’ve made in here and the New & Wannabe Drivers forum. Clarkyboy you are a naughty boy, get to your room.

assume you mean 4x2 unit single axle on rear or unit max weight would be 40ton if plated and taxed for that. ours are downplatted to 38 ton to save tax we only carry light loads. it all depends on unit plated weight. some are down rated to 26ton or less maximum train weight.

Im not in the unit.one of our lads just foned and asked me…i told him to look on the plate…sorry mods my fone seems to have gone mad…scf…you really do crack me up with some of your posts

I can only find one with a tandem axle trailer :stuck_out_tongue:

No one can answer this question without checking the ministry plate, but the maximum allowed in the UK would be 40 tonne

40,000 kg

Harry Monk:
40,000 kg

…or 10 Vanessa Feltzs.

Not enough information. Some tractor units are just over 6 tonnes, some are over 7.5 tonnes. Trailers can be vastly different in weight. I’ve pulled old tri axle curtainsiders on solid suspension that’ve weight 17 tonnes alone, I’ve pulled lightweight ones that weigh 13 tonnes. I’ve pulled a double decker and empty weighed 21 tonnes combined unit and trailer and likewise reefers. I’ve pulled road barrels which have weighed as little as 7 tonnes for 14t combined weight, likewise with a flatbed on.

clarkyboy:
[as above…im having a memory block

:open_mouth: Never seen a Unit with just one axle

Conor:
Not enough information. Some tractor units are just over 6 tonnes, some are over 7.5 tonnes. Trailers can be vastly different in weight. I’ve pulled old tri axle curtainsiders on solid suspension that’ve weight 17 tonnes alone, I’ve pulled lightweight ones that weigh 13 tonnes. I’ve pulled a double decker and empty weighed 21 tonnes combined unit and trailer and likewise reefers. I’ve pulled road barrels which have weighed as little as 7 tonnes for 14t combined weight, likewise with a flatbed on.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with OP question

Regards,
Nick.

SmashedCrabFace:

Harry Monk:
40,000 kg

…or 10 Vanessa Feltzs.

i always thought it was 8.

charliebear:

SmashedCrabFace:

Harry Monk:
40,000 kg

…or 10 Vanessa Feltzs.

i always thought it was 8.

It varies depending on the time of year, humidity, temperature etc.

SmashedCrabFace:

Harry Monk:
40,000 kg

…or 1 Vanessa Feltz.

Fixed that for you - no need to thank me it’s OK :sunglasses:

I used to have a 3 axle FH12 that was plated at 44000kg and was taxed to run at that weight on 5 or 6 axles.
Tax was double the rate for just 6 axles but we used to have tandem axle rear steer bulk blowers with 10t axles.

would this be the same as a 2+3 or just coz unit was plated at 44t with 3 axles

toowise:
I used to have a 3 axle FH12 that was plated at 44000kg and was taxed to run at that weight on 5 or 6 axles.
Tax was double the rate for just 6 axles but we used to have tandem axle rear steer bulk blowers with 10t axles.

would this be the same as a 2+3 or just coz unit was plated at 44t with 3 axles

Sorry toowise, but you weren’t taxed or legal to run at 44000kg with a tandem trailer, you would only have been allowed 40 tonnes when pulling that trailer regardless of what the unit was plated at. The tax rate for 40 tonnes on 5 axles is more than for 44 tonnes on 6. The tax rate for 40 tonnes is the same for 2+3 as for 3+2. Back in 38 tonne days 3+2 was slightly cheaper than 2+3, but 3+3 was a fraction of the price.

The answer is 38 ton with a max height of 14’6" provided all wheels are standard diameter.
40 became legal later and required another axle on the tractor unit.
44 tone I believ required every axle on both tractor and trailer to have full air suspension.