Gross Vehicle Weight Question

While working at Tesco the other night I was asked to take out a tandem axle trailer to one of the smaller stores. On going over the weighbridge I saw that the gross weight was 34280KG. As one of the axles was within 20kg of max I thought I’d check the VOSA trailer plate. On the plate it said

Max Gross weight: 33000KG
Axle weights: 9000KG
Pin Weight 15000KG

On raising the issue with the office clerks that I was overweight, I was informed that a tandem axle trailer + a 4x2 tractor can be up to 35000KG ( which sounded way to convenient). I did the delivery, but I’m wondering if I’ve been shafted?
Should I always go by the weight on the trailer certificate?
I see all the tri-axle trailers gross weights say 38000KG, on the certificates.

Thanks.

Was your gross on weighbridge trailer only or tractor and trailer

The weight on the trailer plate is for the trailer, the gross weight on the weighbridge would have been for the entire vehicle.

Here’s a list of allowable vehicle weights

there are separate GVWs for the vehicle and trailer as well as a GTW for the entire lot
there are also max weights for each axle on the lot

As long as none of those is exceeded then its legal

I bet the weight you had was for the lot in which case its the GTW you should be looking at

Thanks for the replies. Helped to clear the confusion

SteveWalsh:
Was your gross on weighbridge trailer only or tractor and trailer

Yes it was for tractor and trailer

tachograph:
The weight on the trailer plate is for the trailer, the gross weight on the weighbridge would have been for the entire vehicle.

Thanks for the link. I’ll print that off and keep it with me.

tachograph:

thanks for this info