Pin weight

Just wondered if anyone could help out with explaining axle weights.

I checked on a Gov website and got info that said on your tag you can have 7.1t and on your front axle you can have 7.5t and drive axle can be 11.5t (10.5t if you’re over 40t)

Now the weight plates on our trailers have a maximum pin weight of 15t , does this mean that the tag axle and drive axle together cannot be over 15t?

Please excuse my ignorance, And thank for any advice

Short answer mate, if you’re running 6X2 or 6X4 you’ll never have to worry about it.

Drempels:
Short answer mate, if you’re running 6X2 or 6X4 you’ll never have to worry about it.

Ditto

Yeah ok but I would really like to know the definitive answer as to the correct axle weighs

Darb:
Yeah ok but I would really like to know the definitive answer as to the correct axle weighs

Okay, read the manufacturer’s plate fitted to the vehicle or trailer. It will give you both the permissable maximum weight for each axle (and the vehicle) in the UK (if originally built for the UK market) and the technically permissable weight.

These are part of the type approval process and as such, will give you the definitive answer you desire.

Edited for clarity.

Not too sure where you’re seeing the maximum pin weight, but the weights given on the government website are ‘typical’, and will vary with the unit. Our Volvos have front axle weights of 7100kg or 7500kg depending on the tyres, newer ones are coming in rated at 8000kg. Mid-lift axles are 7100kg but the mini tag axles are 4100kg. I seem to recall the Scanias we had, the drive axle was only 10,500kg.

You want to be referring to the plate in the unit and the one on the trailer.

A trailer may have a gross of 39t, 8t on each of the 3 axles and 15t on the pin.

So if jacked it up under the pin you can’t have more than 15t.

But you’ll never have a trailer at anywhere near 39t as that’s only leaving 5t for a unit, my V2 FH with tipping gear is 9100kg, so you can move the centre of mass of the load forward or backwards and still be within the axle and pin max weight.

The max axle weights of the unit are just that, so the weight of the back end of the unit and whatever the pin weight is on the trailer

Think of the tractor unit as being a rigid. The trailer pin weight is the payload. So looking at a Stralis Plating certificate its maximum GVW is given as 25600kg. If the trailer kingpin imposes 15000kg then that means that the unit solo could weigh as much as 10600kg solo.

Plus The front steer will be lighter when loaded .

cav551:
Think of the tractor unit as being a rigid. The trailer pin weight is the payload. So looking at a Stralis Plating certificate its maximum GVW is given as 25600kg. If the trailer kingpin imposes 15000kg then that means that the unit solo could weigh as much as 10600kg solo.

i think this is the best answer that has been posted regarding this matter - this has made it quite clear to even a divot like myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Available at: zeppelinit.com

Hope you have a great day

Darb:
Just wondered if anyone could help out with explaining axle weights.

I checked on a Gov website and got info that said on your tag you can have 7.1t and on your front axle you can have 7.5t and drive axle can be 11.5t (10.5t if you’re over 40t)

Now the weight plates on our trailers have a maximum pin weight of 15t , does this mean that the tag axle and drive axle together cannot be over 15t?

Please excuse my ignorance, And thank for any advice

Pin weight is how the weight of the trailer and load is distributed. Remember, the lift, drive and steer axle have to carry the weight of the tractor unit too.