Max weight Q

Might sound like a daft question,

What’s the max max weight allowed over 5 axles, I always thought it was 38 ton?

Just overheard a driver and transport clerk discussing him taking a double decker (tri axle) out with a 4x2 unit (they are normally too heavy for the 4x2 units and have to be pulled with the 6x2’s). He said as long as it’s not over 40t it would be fine? I thought regardless of max axle weights it had to be max 38 for 5 axles and 44 for 6?

That’s going on the assumption that it’s not overweight on the unit! Am I right or am I wrong?

40 on 5axles

worcestershire.gov.uk/cms/p … eights.pdf

If I remember correctly, it’s 40 tonnes on five axles if the trailer is on air suspension and 38 tonnes if it’s on steel springs.

off topic slightly you’d b ok with this :wink: :wink:
legeros.com/ralwake/photos/weblo … hp?id=3290

Most 4x2 units are plated to 40T - mine are. Obviously that is only with a 3 axle trailer. You can go to 44T with a 6x2 as I’m sure you know.

A lot of deckers are not that heavy TBH - but carry bulky loads. Our 4.8m twin deck race trailers are as big as big gets, but if we tare in at more than 23-24T its a fat day. zoom-zoom! :laughing:

Ah thanks for that, just me being a novice getting confused. The deckers in work can be over 40t total weight if there’s lots of frozen/heavy stuff. I had one about a month ago that was just over 41.

Am I right in thinking that the 4x2 unit can’t go over 18t on its axles when pulling said decker?

I believe our 4 X 2 Axors and Actros’ are designed for 44 tonne,even though some are down plated to 28 tonnes for running on light work.The rest are rated at 38 tonnes for tri axle single or double decker use.
I know there are some differences in MGW’s in Europe,but I have seen 4 axle trailers in Belgium,maybe this is what they are designed for?

The reason a lot of 4x2’s are played at 38 tonne & not 40 tonne is the road tax is a fair bit higher for that extra 2 tonne which usually isn’t that useful.

Tarrman:
Am I right in thinking that the 4x2 unit can’t go over 18t on its axles when pulling said decker?

I think so mate. But in any case, 7100 on the front and 11500 on the back being 18600 total, I’d be saying, “no, put it on a 6 legger,” if it was getting that close. It may only be 7000kg on the front when you’re just rolling over the weighbridge, but if you slam on on the motorway, the load on the tyres has got to go way past that surely?

Also, given the state of the weighbridge, I wouldn’t get that close to the axle weight limits to be honest. Tesco Widnes are due for a big slap on the wrists for the weighbridge on the next H+S audit apparently.

Max weight on 5 axles is 40t plus 1 tonne or 5% whichever is the least allowance plus 150 kilos per axle to allow for the accuracy of the axle weighbridge.Total on 5 axles 41T 750 kilos.
6 axles 44t plus 1 tonne plus 900kilos total 45t 900k.This was how, many years ago Dukes Transport got away with an overloading charge in the magistrates court and I still have the press cutting
if any of you are in deep wotsit sometime.Get in touch.