Slightly embarrassing weight question!

As many of you have seen I’m now the proud driver of a 6 wheel unit. Only thing is I have no idea what the weight limits are on the two back axles of the unit having been a 4x2 man for a fair few years. Looked online but it was very confusing. As you can imagine i need to know with the fridge work im doing. What’s the verdict chaps?

I think it’s 12 on the twin and 7 on the lift, but i’m sure someone in the know will deffo know. :smiley:

it will state the axle weights on the plating certificate

for a 6x2, it is normally approx 10 on the drive ,7 midlift ,8 front

As said before, its on the plate, illegal not to have one in the cab im pretty sure.

The iveco unit I drive is 7.5 front, 6.7 lift and 11.5 on the drive.

Alcpone:
As said before, its on the plate, illegal not to have one in the cab im pretty sure.

The iveco unit I drive is 7.5 front, 6.7 lift and 11.5 on the drive.

But being a brand new unit, there is a grace period whilst the plate is issued. (IIRC its something like 6 weeks)

UK hauliers are allowed to operate at a higher weight limit than is generally the case in the rest of Europe. The government calculated that permitting 44 tonnes on six axles is less damaging to roads than the 40 tonnes on five axles authorised under EC96/53.

To operate at 44 tonnes both the tractor and trailer must have three axles, none of which should exceed 10,500kg and all of which must have Road Friendly Suspension. The distance between the coupling centre and the centre of the rearmost axle of the semi-trailer must be at least 8m.

Yes but you dont always run at full MGW, so if the plate says 11.5t it must be legal.

Very likely be 11.5 on the drive, even though, as above, max actually allowed on it on 6 axles is 10.5.
However I think if you happened to pull a tandem running at 40T at any time, then you could go upto the 11.5

Switch I didnt think the Irish were that fussed about the weight!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

Keep filling it up until the doors wont shut then you`ll know its loaded :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Luke, why have you got a 6 wheeler? seems a bit pointless in europe means less payload and less fueltank space?

We’re fussed about everything now. We have 6 wheelers because between Ireland and europe is the UK and we were forever heavy on the pin, both ways.

switchlogic:
We’re fussed about everything now. We have 6 wheelers because between Ireland and europe is the UK and we were forever heavy on the pin, both ways.

Hiya Luke,if i remember correctly 44tonne scania 6x2 was 7.100_6.00_10.00.I know it was a lot less than my present MAN.I enjoyed your recent videos,especially where your about to leave a lay bye in Southern Ireland for the ferry and you cant recall where you are.I seem to spend a lot of time in that state these days.As some body else posted,and affter having had Scania V bombers i would be gutted if it was taken off me for 440.Especially if that 440 didnt have a gear lever.Still,your happy with it and thats all that counts.Looking forward to more posts from you. Regards P.S I suspect you are wise enough not to take these weights as gospel