Photo Licence

Hi Everyone,
I need to renew my photo licence and have to send my old one to Swansea. I am concerned that I will not have possesion of original licences for forth coming trip to Europe. Any advise/experience welcome. Thanks JT

IIRC you don’t have to return your original as you have the option that allows you to claim it as ‘lost’.

make sure you take a photo copy of licence before sending it of to dvla

Take a photo copy of the licence and also of the completed renewal form and take them with you. That’s what I did on any occasion I had to send my licence off for an address change or renewal and it was never an issue when over the water. We aren’t the only country where people have to renew their licence so it’s not a unique occurrence.

If your passport is less than 5 years old, then do it on line. DVLA will import your photo and signature from the Passport Office. I have just done mine.

I’m not sure if you can do it for renewals, but for a change of address you can renew your licence online here direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Mo … /DG_066944 and you don’t have to send them the old one until you receive the new one.

Although i renewed my photo licence and also 5 yrs medical for hgv entitlement at the beginning of the year, it only took around 5 days(working days) to receive my new one, that surprised me too, apart from having to request the correct app form D2 i think for the medical part of it it was straightforward , sent app and postal order (fee) recorded (to sign for) had licence back during the following week

Harry Monk:
I’m not sure if you can do it for renewals, but for a change of address you can renew your licence online here direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Mo … /DG_066944 and you don’t have to send them the old one until you receive the new one.

As I said, I did both mine and the wife’s licence, as they were about to run out after 10 years. All done on line BUT the passport must be less than 5 years old