PDCPC - some facts & queries now sorted

Here are just some facts & queries about the PDCPC (Periodic (ongoing) Driver Certificate of Professional Competence) that have now been sorted out.

By now, most of us will know that anyone who has any type of LGV catagory licence will have to do 35 hours of this attendance training by 10 Sept 2014 so the licence can be used for a job. (not doing it will not mean loss of licence)

DQC (Driver Qualification Card) will not be issued until the 35 hours has been completed and the driver does not have to produce one for the first 5 years.2009 to Sept 2014

Once the full 35 hours has been completed at any time before 10 Sept 2014 the DQC will be issued and the expiry date on the DQC will be 10 Sept 2019 .

If all of the 35 hours is not completed by the DQC expiry date or, in the first instance, by 10 Sept 2014, then any training already done is lost and the whole lot of the 35 hours must be started again and completed before a DQC is issued.

This next bit may seem daft but it is OK under the regulations -
If a driver does 35 hours in the week before the DQC expiry date and then does 35 hours in the week after the DQC expiry date then they would have almost a 10 year gap before having to do another 35 hours :exclamation:
Example -
35 hours done in the week prior to 10 Sept 2014 gets a DQC with expiry date of 10 Sept 2019.
35 hours done in the week after10 Sept 2014 gets a DQC with expiry date of 10 Sept 2024 when the 2019 DQC expires.
The next 35 hours could be done in the week prior to Sept 2024.
So almost a 10 year gap in training from 2014 to 2024 :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

COST
Some prices are coming through from providers but they are subject to slight changes and inflation etc so I suggest that they are taken as an approximate realistic guide.

FROM ONE MAJOR PROVIDER there will of course be others.

Most of these listed below are +VAT for 7 Hours of Periodic Training.

Major Provider A
Groups of 1-11 Drivers £125 each driver
Groups of 12-20 Drivers £1,150 each group

Major Provider B
Groups of 1-6 Drivers £160 each driver
Groups of 7-11 Drivers £152 each driver
Groups of 12-16 Drivers £144 each driver or Groups of 12-16 Drivers £1,405 each group.

Watch out for hidden costs such as the upload cost to the database - ask if the price is all inclusive.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
OTHER BITS
A recent PCV pass candidate who had a C1 by grandfather rights recieved their DQC with 2 different DCPC dates on it.
2013 for PCV and 2014 for LGV
The reason for this is that they may not wish to drive PCV for the period 2103 to 2014 and therefore do not have to complete the PDCPC till 2014 whereon the DQC will show an expiry date of 2019 and will cover both PCV & LGV.
If the PDCPC is completed by 2013 then the DQC will show an expiry date of 2018 and this covers both PCV & LGV.
This weird 2 date thing will only happen in the above situation during the first few years.

A C1 licence holder will not need modules 2 & 4 of the IDCPC if they wish to go for C.
A C1 licence holder will need modules 2 & 4 of the IDCPC if they wish to go for D.
Those going for C+E only have to do the on road test - same as now.

A newbie with B licence gained after 97 who wants to do LGV & PCV will have to do all the 4 IDCPC (Initial Driver CPC) modules in BOTH catagories.

Thanx Rog thats as clear as mud… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Daylight robbery. :unamused: How can they justify that money ? One bloke waffling on for 35 hours.

Thats made the decision for me…I WON’T be doing it, I am getting out of driving

Semtex:
Thats made the decision for me…I WON’T be doing it, I am getting out of driving

if you stay with baileys they will get it for you they are getting it all sorted at the mo

Apparantly, after talking to a man-in-the-know, a lot of largish hauliers are going to register their premises for approval and then have one of the staff approval trained to deliver this PDCPC.

The room size will be the key to how many can be trained in one go to a maximum of 20 drivers.

LUCKY THEM as they will get paid for doing it and it will probably be done on a Saturday or split between Friday PM and Saturday AM.
That paid time will be classed as other work.

If the driver is not being paid to sit a course then it is not clased as other work so that might help a few - a bit.
I’m not sure if that is true if the company is paying for the course but not the drivers time - ask coffeeholic or tachograph or geebee45.

A lot of providers will be doing PDCPC courses on Saturdays but places are likely to be booked up quickly.

Well thats me done with part time driving come 2014

My licence is up for renewal in 2014 so I doubt I’ll be bothering either. Getting a bit sick of having to jump through all the hoops just to do a bloody days work.

Conor:
My licence is up for renewal in 2014 so I doubt I’ll be bothering either. Getting a bit sick of having to jump through all the hoops just to do a bloody days work.

Not doing the PDCPC will not affect your licence only your right to use it for a paid job so maybe it’s worth doing the medical to hold onto it just in case… :question: :bulb: :question:

i dont think im gonna do it unless i have a job where i have to pay for it, because agency rates etc will not go up even though we are mor equalified and i will be demanding more money when i getit if i do and am still with an agency.

Conor:

Thats why I’m getting out of driving PRONTO

gogzy:
i dont think im gonna do it unless i have a job where i have to pay for it, because agency rates etc will not go up even though we are mor equalified and i will be demanding more money when i getit if i do and am still with an agency.

I’m a little surprised that agencies have not used this opportunity as a way of retaining drivers - do a year with us and you get 7 hours of PDCPC FREE :bulb:

ROG:

gogzy:

I’m a little surprised that agencies have not used this opportunity as a way of retaining drivers - do a year with us and you get 7 hours of PDCPC FREE :bulb:

hahahahaha agencies actually helping us? and pigs can fly

plus if they did do a year with them they would want a year of 5 days a week every week and they would make sure nobody got it.

waste of time. im gonna be away by 2014 hopefulyl anyway, prob go to austrailia or canada, been offered a place with a friend when she moves to aussie with her rents.