DQC upgrade

Hello everyone. It’s my first post so be polite please. I am not definitely sure is this the right section of the forum to give this question. I have had my DQC for HGV/LGV vehicles for nearly three years. I had to pass my initial Module 4 so no grandfathers rights. Now I am about to go through CPC Module 4 for PCV’s. The question is: if I will pass my Module 4 for PCV, do I need to send my DQC anywhere for upgrade (should it be separately or with my licence when adding category D) or will I get DQC for PCV and DQC for lorries can be held on separate ticket? Sorry for making it long and sorry for my English- I am a foreign bird. Hope someone has the knowledge in this matter to share. Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

When you have passed your Mod 4 and your driving test you will receive a card showing both categories. They will expire together 5 years from the date of issue. During the 5 year period you need to complete 35 hours of periodic training. This training can be in either category as it automatically counts for both when both licences are held.

Hope this helps and all the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Many thanks for explaining Mr Pete. I have done only 7 hours of periodic training from passing my initial qualification for Heavy Goods Vehicles. Good to know that PCV initial qualification will renew my lorry CPC- otherwise I would have to do another 4 modules of periodic training within 2 years to retain my qualification and it 's easier to keep it up to date if they will have same expiry date. As it is quite new requirement (CPC) some things are still unclear. That’s why it’s good have experts on forum like this one. :slight_smile: Thanks.

From my last conversation with the DVSA DCPC hotline people I seem to remember that if a driver already has a LGV DQC then passing PCV gets a new DQC issued automatically with both expiry dates the same as the current LGV one on the DQC

Have things changed ?

I believe the new one is dated 5 years on - but I stand to be corrected and there seems to be some inconsistencies in the system. I have the problem that I don’t see a lot of folks once everything is passed.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
I believe the new one is dated 5 years on - but I stand to be corrected and there seems to be some inconsistencies in the system. I have the problem that I don’t see a lot of folks once everything is passed.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

There are various rules on this depending on what the driver already has or does not have

For each case its best to call the hotline on 0191 201 8112 and ask them

If I remember I will call them tomorrow … then post answer on here

I could well be in error for this one as 35 hours of periodic have not yet been done and that can make the difference

dave.L:
Many thanks for explaining Mr Pete. I have done only 7 hours of periodic training from passing my initial qualification for Heavy Goods Vehicles. Good to know that PCV initial qualification will renew my lorry CPC- otherwise I would have to do another 4 modules of periodic training within 2 years to retain my qualification and it 's easier to keep it up to date if they will have same expiry date. As it is quite new requirement (CPC) some things are still unclear. That’s why it’s good have experts on forum like this one. :slight_smile: Thanks.

Which ever way is works out the 35 hours for the LGV will still need to be completed by the current DQC expiry date to keep the LGV current

You may find that adding PCV your new DQC will do this
LGV on DQC = current expiry date so need to complete 35 hours within next 2 years
PCV on DQC = expiry date 5 years from now
Completing 35 hours periodic will then put both LGV & PCV expiring 5 years from the PCV expiry date

Thank you for all your answers. Passed Mod 4 today but the biggest test is still to come. I am rather curious than worried in regards of what effect it will have on my current DQC. Once I passed all the tests I will share some info. Thank you.

You may find that adding PCV your new DQC will do this
LGV on DQC = current expiry date so need to complete 35 hours within next 2 years
PCV on DQC = expiry date 5 years from now
Completing 35 hours periodic will then put both LGV & PCV expiring 5 years from the PCV expiry date

THAT is what will happen in your case = confirmed by DVSA DCPC hotline

The example they stated over the phone was -
LGV initials 2 and 4 passed in 2011 so DQC expiry for LGV is 2016
PCV initials 2 and 4 passed in 2015 so new DQC issued with expiry - LGV 2016 + PCV 2020
Complete all 35 hours periodic so new DQC issued with both LGV + PCV expiring in 2025
The 35 hours would need to be completed by 2016 to keep the LGV current

Yes, that definitely makes sens. Really appreciate your efforts. Hope it can helps other drivers as well. At least courses like HIAB or ADR give you some hours of periodic training so it might be the way to go. Thanks again :sunglasses:

My educated guess is;

New DQC will arrive with D and C and expiry will be 5 years for both now MOD 4 for cat D has been passed. Then go and do 4 days periodic and get another new card valid five years from the end of the last new card.

I could be very wrong. There does seem to be inconsistencies at DVSA

Ahhh - I hadn’t seen Rog’s detailed reply :open_mouth:

Guess I was wrong then.

dave.L:
… At least courses like HIAB or ADR give you some hours of periodic training so it might be the way to go…

Dave,

Courses like HIAB and ADR (and some others) can get you some periodic DCPC hours, but this depends on whether the provider has registered their course with JAUPT for DCPC in addition to registering with the ‘normal’ awarding body.

I’m only mentioning this because many people think that the award of periodic DCPC hours is automatic, but it isn’t.

You’ll only know for sure if you ask the provider the right question(s) at the time of making the booking :smiley:

Cheers Dieseldave, yes I have noticed some training schools offer this as an option and you have to pay extra for your hours upload :unamused:

THAT is what will happen in your case = confirmed by DVSA DCPC hotline

The example they stated over the phone was -
LGV initials 2 and 4 passed in 2011 so DQC expiry for LGV is 2016
PCV initials 2 and 4 passed in 2015 so new DQC issued with expiry - LGV 2016 + PCV 2020
Complete all 35 hours periodic so new DQC issued with both LGV + PCV expiring in 2025
The 35 hours would need to be completed by 2016 to keep the LGV current
[/quote]
Hi, finally (passed my PCV in mid-May and received new DQC) can confirm that this is how it was worked out on my new DQC :sunglasses: