Passed C (and now passed C+E)

Hi all.
Not much of a poster on the forums but have been reading them for ages lol.

Well I passed my C licence in Belfast on 16th March.

I booked my training with David Kinnear Driver Training in Belfast and I highly recommend him.

Day 1 Friday 11th 8am

Met David close to where he does his reversing training and keeps his trucks. There was another guy training at the same time as me but that didn’t bother me. He took us straight out on the road as the area was quiet and the roads are big. We both had a drive of about 6 miles each round carriageways and large roundabouts. Then we both did a small route round a small town just to see what we were like in traffic.
David then said that we were good enough to go straight in Belfast and start training the routes.
We got some breakfast they went on our way.
I took us down into Belfast which was about 10 miles then we swapped and the other guy did the first route which lasted about 1hr 20mins then we swapped again and I did the same route in around the same time. Swapped again and the other guy took us back to where he parks the lorry.

Day 2 Saturday 12th 8am

Met David and the other guy in the same place.
We went straight into Belfast with the other guy driving. Swapped when we got to Belfast and I did the first route. I felt a lot more comfortable driving the truck today.
Route over and we got some breakfast.
Other guys turn now then swapped and I did another route then swapped again and he did the same route.
I then took the lorry back up the hills to where he keeps it and day over.

Day 3 Monday 14th 8am

Starting with the reversing. David explained everything and the other guy went first. We walked beside the truck with David instructing him while he was reversing. He did 3 reverse exercises then we swapped and I had a go. We did 6 more each and off to Belfast. We both completed 2 routes each and back up the road to park the truck.

Day 4 Tuesday 15th 8am

Straight down to Belfast and completed 3 routes each.
Back up to where he parks the truck and we did some more reversing and emergency stops.
Day Over

Day 5 (test day) Wed 16th 8am

Met David outside the test centre and took the truck for a 20 min drive then back to the test centre.
Test at 08.50.
Extremely nervous now but I just said to myself just drive the ■■■■ truck and stop thinking to much.
Anyway I drove very well but still got 13 minors. Apparently that’s a normal scorecard for that examiner.
Very happy I passed :smiley:
Had a coffee with David and went home and posted my licence.

Costs:
Medical £30
Test Fee £66
Training £595

Well that’s my tale and I hope it helps some others out there who are going for their licence.
If you are in N.Ireland you should give David a call. He may be old but he knows his stuff to get you through the test.

I will do another wee report on the C+E licence when I have done it.

:smiley: :smiley:

congratulations. You make it sound easy.

Hope I have the same luck.

congratulations :slight_smile:

Well done on passing - does not matter how many minors you get - a pass is a pass regardless - I am certain that if different instructors marked the same candidate in the same test the range of minors would would quite wide . I also passed with David Kinnear ( second attempt ) - I was very weak on the range change on the first test - the examiner started talking to me early in the test which caused me to lose concentration and I selected low range instead of high . Good luck in your C & E

So have you had any C work N.I Express?

Well done on the pass mate :slight_smile:

Congratulations on the pass

dont be shy keep posting :wink:

jx

WicKed

I have a full time job with the Garden Centre Group Trading , so not looking for any Class C work. Good luck if you are looking and it was good of you to do a write up on David Kinnear - liked your picture - brought back memories of my Cat C training .

Ahh ok mate.
Thanks for the congrats all :smiley:

Well I did my 5 days of C+E training starting from Friday 15th and PASSED on Wednesday the 20th.
I actually found the big truck a lot better to drive and definitely enjoyed it more lol.
Another big thank you to David Kinnear for the great training and great training vehicles. Proper 45ft box trailer and none of this wagon and drag stuff I see people training in all over Belfast :smiley:

I got 9 minors on the test but that was my own fault for not checking blind spots. I realized I had missed the blind spots about halfway into the test drive. The test was at 3pm but I think if I had it first thing in the morning I would have got less minors.
Good luck to anyone else taking their test and remember don’t be nervous or stress out when you are taking it. Think of the examiner as just a sat nav telling you where to go and drive as you have been taught. One of the examiners was telling me most people fail because of nerves or driving too slow.

Now to find some work lol

Congratulations on another pass :smiley:

Good luck with the job hunt

Jen x

WicKeD:
Well I did my 5 days of C+E training starting from Friday 15th and PASSED on Wednesday the 20th.

Hi WicKeD,

:grimacing: CONGRATULATIONS on passing your “C” and “C+E” tests. :smiley:
:smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks for your recommendation, but David Kinnear is already on the TN list of recommended LGV training providers. :smiley:

It’s good to have a second opinion though. :wink:

Thanks Dave. Yeah I saw him on the list on this site and that’s why I rang him :laughing: That and the fact that he uses a proper artic. :sunglasses:

Simon

Well done on the pass , a good result to pass at first attempt . Good luck in the job hunt - that is probably more difficult than passing the test .

I booked my C+E with David there but due to difficultl getting off work I wont be doing my test until 11th July but atleast the training is booked!! After having an assesment drive with David I reccomended him to a friend who is starting his cat C training with him this Saturday so hopefully it’ll go well for him! Wicked ive sent you a pm with loadsa questions to pick your bran about c+e training lol

Well still no HGV work for me yet. Everyone wants 2 years experience, even the agencys. I just have some 7.5T night work with Royal Mail at the minute through an agency. Appointment with another agency on monday and I think I will have to open a can of bullsheet. lol