P&O Ferrymasters

Anyone done any traction work for P&O from either Hull or Midldesbrough? I know the money isn’t going to be fantastic but I need something to tide me over for a couple of weeks as my usual source of work has all but dried up. P&O claim to have loads of work - “we can start you tomorrow if you can get the insurance sorted out”.

Feel free to reply by PM if you have something to say that you would rather not in public.

TIA,
Paul

A few years back worked part time for a guy who had 3 on their all the time - with us part timers he was running 7 days a week.

They used to have a good weekend job empty to Glasgow drop the empty and pick up a light (4 tonne) loaded trl and back to Hull - we had to use 2 drivers as you could not do the round trip in one hit.

He seemed happy with the work and the only comment he made was some time if you weekly mileage was getting high P&O used to cut back on his distance work.

Job seemed straight forward for what I did which was trailer swaps ready for his lads on a Monday to get of…

tbh paul i dont know anyone who has a bad word to say about them, some sitting about on the dock at teesport if the boats due in and you are waiting for a trailer but apart from that its all pretty straightforward, i cant see your insurance being a problem either as they shouldnt require anything above the norm, plus you will get paid on time in 30 days, PO containers pay you after 7 days but i dont know how you get on there as its ran from belgium

can you not get on that grain job thats running into teesport, its been on for a week or 2 now but i dont know whos running it

Probably want UK CMR. No doubt they’ll let you know. :wink:

chaversdad:
i cant see your insurance being a problem either as they shouldnt require anything above the norm

They want CMR (which I have got), BIFA (which I have never heard of) and 25k trailer cover (only got 15k at the moment). Interestingly they ask what level of goods liability you have but nowhere on the pack they emailed me can I see where they stipulate what the minimum they will accept it. I currently have £1300/tonne up to a maximum of £39k in any one claim.

chaversdad:
can you not get on that grain job thats running into teesport, its been on for a week or 2 now but i dont know whos running it

Didn’t know there was anything running up that way. Who’s wagons are doing it?

As it happens I have got some work now from one of my regulars that will keep me busy today and half of tomorrow so that’s a start at least. Goole to Great Yarmouth today to get me started…

Paul

repton:
Didn’t know there was anything running up that way. Who’s wagons are doing it?

Think it’s for Frontier but I know last week they were tipping somewhere on Teesport on the quayside and they were putting it on with a crane. Then when it started to rain they were taking it round into A V Dawsons store.

repton:
Anyone done any traction work for P&O from either Hull or Midldesbrough? I know the money isn’t going to be fantastic but I need something to tide me over for a couple of weeks as my usual source of work has all but dried up. P&O claim to have loads of work - “we can start you tomorrow if you can get the insurance sorted out”.

Feel free to reply by PM if you have something to say that you would rather not in public.

TIA,
Paul

:open_mouth:

Rob K:

repton:
my usual source of work has all but dried up.

:open_mouth:

Not on a permanent basis, they had an “technical issue” at the mine that keeps most of the bulk hauliers in the teesside area in work at this time of year and so nothing has been mined for a couple of weeks now and until it’s fixed and they’re mining again there is a lot less work than normal to go round.

That said it’s not all bad as I have been given enough work now to keep me going until sometime on Thursday and if what I’ve been told is right they’ll be up and running again next week.

Paul

xfmatt:
Think it’s for Frontier but I know last week they were tipping somewhere on Teesport on the quayside and they were putting it on with a crane. Then when it started to rain they were taking it round into A V Dawsons store.

Probably got another boat in at Dawsons Wharf then, that’s where they seem to be loading them of late.

Ta,
Paul

repton:
They want CMR (which I have got), BIFA (which I have never heard of) and 25k trailer cover (only got 15k at the moment). Interestingly they ask what level of goods liability you have but nowhere on the pack they emailed me can I see where they stipulate what the minimum they will accept it. I currently have £1300/tonne up to a maximum of £39k in any one claim.

Paul

BIFA is another set of terms and conditions similar to RHA conditions of Carriage.
You may remember Special Drawing Rights from your CPC.

BIFA 2.00 SDR’s per kilo
CMR 8.33 SDR’s per kilo

glad you found something anyway

Paul if you have a work with your broker they should be able to sort things for you for not much different for what you are paying now. Most of the traction firms require a pretty standard cover ie 25-30k trailer uk GIT to CMR plus 5mil public liability cover.

one of the container companys i do a bit for had some strange requests on there insurance requirements so i just faxed them all to my broker and he filled them in and sent them on, turns out i had the necessary limits already it just wasnt clear on my schedule

If you do anything for POFM be aware you will need a large collection of bulbs & lenses for a variety of trailers and a set of palm coupling adapters.
Newest Schmitz trailers have lights. Slightly older Krone krap (as I call them) have Rubolites. Much older high cube IMEGS have square lenses. (Round rubolites will fit, ok in daylight, but would show some white at night).

Not sure how they work the strap situation now they’re 100% subbied.