P&O FERRYMASTERS

have just given 73 drivers 30 days notice, closing down all depots on the west coast and only having teeside, hull and ipswich as depot’s

another big firm down the drain !!

Yes, that did come to my attention after the postman had been this morning.

Coincidental you should post just now as i very nearly PM’d you about it within the last 30 mins!

thought you wud have known jonathon, there was a big meeting in ipswich yesterday and today tim who works in the office said to my dad about how he felt after being told he was gettin made redundant, it was the 1st he knew until he got home and there was a recorded delievry waitin 4 him,

its a shame like that its goin to close down but its been on the cards for a while, there wil be alot of subbie work now like, but there still wil be 30 or so P&O drivers on the east coat i think coz i heard there was 100 something drivers in total like

i actually havnt seen the letter like, what does it actually say ?

ipswich goddard road closed last year. down to 10 ? motors based at orwell crossing truckstop and offices now in the old eon buliding in wherstead shared with other people.

Do they still have a depot at Larne port in NI :question:
Used to be quite a few Merc Actros based there although “Nummy Transport” from Newry Co.Down seem to pull alot of P+O trailers on traction now,along with a gentleman O/D Gardner Murdock in his MP1 Actros. :sunglasses:

mark h:
i actually havnt seen the letter like, what does it actually say ?

What all TEN pages of it■■?

Retain 11 trucks at Hull, 11 at Teesport, 5 at Ipswich,

So, fleet reduction from from 134 in 2008 to just 27 in 2010.

Sad times indeed. :frowning:

That Friday morning to Sunday evening away running out of Fleetwood was absolutely ideal for me, i enjoyed it very much & earnt some fair money.

very sad news indeed,my friend called me yesterday morning to tell me he had got his letter fom p&o :cry: did a week on there for a agency last year and it was on the cards then…i knew they were not going to take on 70 drivers as stated by some people…oh well all the best to the drivers at this very time,good luck to you all and your familys…

there is another drivers meetin at 7am tommoro so wil lt u no jonathon wa was said etc

Big Truck:
Do they still have a depot at Larne port in NI :question:
Used to be quite a few Merc Actros based there although “Nummy Transport” from Newry Co.Down seem to pull alot of P+O trailers on traction now,along with a gentleman O/D Gardner Murdock in his MP1 Actros. :sunglasses:

I see Kernohan truck’s pullin for p&o aswell,also a haulier called Thompson.

am on for goggins (ireland) and they r pulling them aswell

Quite some time ago now, maybe a year or more, soon after Fleetwood packed up, he asked me to put my rates to him that i’d be looking for, self employed. I did.

Never heard anymore, think i gave him a heart attack. :laughing:

haha sounds abar right that, my dad was looking into gettin his own motor an pulling the trailers for them but went against it,

the office attitude went down hill, a driver from stoke depot died the other week dropped dead by his truck major heart attack and my dad was in leeds bout 5pm on a friday and he rang to say he was leaving back for seaforth and all the office was interested in was when the truck wil be back and here is ya job for monday, no mention of the driver, my dad only found out when he got to the weigh bridge in the dock !!

Hiya…not been on this site for a very long time (hello Luci and Rikki :wink:). Was just taking a quick look on here to see if there were any HGV jobs being advertised on the site and came across this post about P&O Ferrymasters. My hubby works for P&O and is one of the unlucky drivers who got a recorded delivery letter last week. He’s based in Risley and will probably be out of a job within the month. Can’t remember all the sites that are being closed now (he’s taken the letter to work with him this week) but Risley and Liverpool are definately shutting. I know some of the sites down south are staying open for now but from the details I can remember in the letter, there is about half of the staff at those depots being made redundant. Hubby is devastated (as I’m sure all of the other redundant workers are) as this was the best HGV job he had ever had in his life (he’s worked for some real cowboys in the past). We’ve been here many times before in the past but he’s always managed to find other work but at 62 years old and in todays gloomy climate I think he’s going to find it really hard to get another job :frowning:

sad times sally, although the way my dad was telling me it had been on the cards for a while with more sub-contractors getting the work etc etc,

he has since got a start for a firm which he starts the monday after being laid off in 4 weeks time so good luck to him !!

it wil be sad for all the drivers as there is loads of the drivers as said, but P&O are still kepping all the trailers and all the work so there wil be jobs out there for other firms pulling P&O trailers

good luck to your chap 4 the future

mark h:
he has since got a start for a firm which he starts the monday after being laid off in 4 weeks time so good luck to him !!

Oh nice one Mark…good luck to him :smiley:

So does your Dad’s new employer need another driver then !!! hehehehe :grimacing: He’s very well used but comes with plenty of experience, very reliable and the most important thing…a sense of humour !! (you need that in this job :unamused: ) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

cant say he does sorry, apparently the employer has got a list of people who want jobs but he knows my dad so thats sort of how he jumped the queue !