Owner driving actros

ANYBODY ON HERE DRIVER & OWN MERC ACTROS?PM ME PLS.THANKS :laughing:

uve had plenty of replies mate :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

andy must be thinking about getting one.

THANKYOU ALL to all your replys and advice,iā€™ve been a tad busy this week and not managed to reply to all,so anyway i have ended up purchasing this ere merc.now bearing in mind i already run a magnum (56plate) bought from new 480dxi auto,i didnā€™t think driving an auto lorry could get any better/smootherā€¦well how wrong was i :open_mouth: :question: this ere 2550 mega on an 05ā€™plate just drives/sounds so smooth,iā€™m still in disbelief :exclamation: :exclamation: the very 1st thing i did when going to view said motor was check the oilā€¦where the friggs the dip-stickā€¦ :blush: :blush:(i know now)ā€¦anyway much more to learn before it goes into work on 2nd feb. :wink: :laughing:

So where is the oil & water thingy-ma-jigsā– ā– ?

Good luck with your new truck Andy,i hope it makeā€™s you plenty of Ā£Ā£Ā£Ā£Ā£ ,in the right handā€™s Mercedes truckā€™s are unbeatable.

edd7:
So where is the oil & water thingy-ma-jigsā– ā– ?

ITā€™S A COMPUTER THING ON DASH (FOR THE OIL) AND I THINK THE WATERā€™S ON THE NEARSIDE UNDER GRILLEā€¦I REALLY AM AN AMATEUR WITH REGARDS TO MERCS :blush: :exclamation:

ellies dad:
Good luck with your new truck Andy,i hope it makeā€™s you plenty of Ā£Ā£Ā£Ā£Ā£ ,in the right handā€™s Mercedes truckā€™s are unbeatable.

CHEERā€™S Eā€™D,BETCHA WAITING FOR THE ā€œBACKLASH COMMENTSā€ NOWā€¦ :wink: :laughing:

everything u need to know about oil levels and even the washer bottle level is all on the computer!!

what made u get rid of the magnum??!!

Yes you can call the oil level up on the dash display (even with it running!) & it will tell you either OK or how many litres it requires.
However if you havenā€™t bothered to check & it gets low (but still driveable) it will advise you.
Canā€™t call washer bottle level up but will advise when getting low.

It will also advise you when engine service due, general service due, brake linings check (axle by axle), diff oil change due, etc. etc. usually starts warnings about 3000 kms before due IIRC.

If you try to start it too quickly when at security etc. you might miss & will get an orange MR code up & it wonā€™t start. If this happens, turn key right back (may have to remove, not sure) wait 10 seconds & MR code will go out.

It may have a ā€œhill start assistā€ switch on the dash. Very useful. Switch that on: when you come to a standstill it will hold the brakes on for about 30 seconds (warning beep before it releases them) or until you start to move forward.

If turning sharpish enough to cause trailer tyre drag just where you want to be accelerating, would advise to knock it into manual change beforehand otherwise it will change down just when you donā€™t want it to & because of the drag will almost come to a standstill when it disconnects the drive.

Feel free to PM me if thereā€™s anything else.

are you changing trucks or is the merc an extra one ?

hi denis,this is an additional tractor/trailer/crane mate.i been off the magnum since end of november due to an accident (twisted ligaments in foot/shin,very painful!) i stood the magnum for 2 weeks,then found meself a good driver to run it for me,only problem to me was the fact the driver wouldnā€™t work for me unless i took him on permanent (canā€™t blame him),so now iā€™m just about fit for work again.ideally i was jusy going to get meself a job driving for someone else,but alasā€¦thereā€™s no bloody jobs about.anyway i been offered this actros/trailer/crane at an unbelievable bargain price,and a contract,so i thought what the hell iā€™ll give it a goā€¦so iā€™m now learning all about actrosā€™s etc.

I had a 03 plate V8 480 for a short while in 2006. the torque of the engine is something you have to see to believe. It would pull right down to 800 RPM and still recover without fuss.

I was running with a CF 430 daf from southport to doncaster at the same weight. although I couldnt pass him on windy hill I was only pulling at 1150 RPM and 2 gears higher than the daf.

it did 7.5 mpg on full weight tipper work and 10.5 on mixed weight tautliner work.

only got rid of it cause I hated the big payments.

The 500 is probably better again. enjoy!

this post is useless without pics :laughing: :laughing:

andy bilton:
,so i thought what the hell iā€™ll give it a goā€¦so iā€™m now learning all about actrosā€™s etc.

why not :laughing: Good Luck with it Andy :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Andy, another very useful gadget:

Get it upto whatever speed you donā€™t want to exceed, press the end of the right stalk & it wonā€™t go any faster. Very useful when youā€™ve enough to be looking at with route direction signs, traffic, etc. etc.

The hill hold lasts closer to 3 seconds not 30. If your stopped in traffic(could happen) hit neutral then instead of pulling the handbrake keep tapping the accelarator,the hill hold will stay engaged.

Another thing on engine oil,this is where you need to be carefullā€¦if it asks for 5 litres give it 4ā€¦and do not mix the types of oil as the truck is set for a certain viscousity grade,mixing grades will confuse it.

You can change this on the oil menu if you want to use a different grade after a service say.

Plenty of electrics on the Actros,they are all a help when understood. Mercedes call this ā€œTelligentā€.

Swapped to an MP2 last september, what a diifference :open_mouth: been like a dog with 2 dicks ever since :smiling_imp:
My only dislike is when the auto box changes down and engages the engine brake when it starts to overspeed when the cruise con is on, which is something the old MP1 didnā€™t do, otherwise :sunglasses: and I need to something about that peep peep horn
:blush:

spose going german is a step up from french still u mite mak that final big step one day and go dutch ,hope it all works out for u ,u driving the merc or renualt when you come back?