New Merc Actros

Evening all,

Been told today that I’ll be getting my new lorry on Tuesday next week - a new Merc Actros. Has anybody got any experience of these, and can give any tips / reviews etc on them. With the new contract I’ll be working on, I’ll be doing a couple of nights away each week, so any recommendations on kit specific to them (rather than general overnight gear) is much appreciated.

Thanks
Gary

Driven one of ours a few times (almost brand new)

Pulls well and new auto box is better than before.
Not as comfy as the old one but not as bad as the Axor.
Sound system crap. It has excellent input options and controls, but what comes out of the speakers is crap.
Comes with sat nav, DVD as standard.
Suspension seems good, handles well without too much roll.
Nice layout and feels very spacious.
No ignition key - sort of notebook type electronic thingy you post in a slot, then a button to stop/start.

Quite impressive - certainly looks the dog’s danglies.

had a seat in 1 today and yeah it nice inside

gardun:

Pulls well and new auto box is better than before.
Not as comfy as the old one but not as bad as the Axor.
Sound system crap. It has excellent input options and controls, but what comes out of the speakers is crap.
Comes with sat nav, DVD as standard.
No ignition key - sort of notebook type electronic thingy you post in a slot, then a button to stop/start.

be nice if they put abit more thought into the speakers.
nice truck, nice stereo, and 2 bits of blotting paper as speakers :unamused:
couple of the m.a.n.s at our place have the big subwoofer speaker, but its too bassy. (i know, never happy)

I drive 1 daily. They come in many specs and options.

You can’t check the water level, there’s no guage and the reservoir is black, so the only way to check it is to top it up. 4 weeks old and it reported ‘low coolant level’ on a Monday morning when I got in.
They burn through Ad Blue like it’s going out of fashion, if you do run out :blush: it’ll be fine until you turn the engine off, if you then restart without adding ad blue, you’ll run on restricted power AND without an automatic box - double punishment to make sure you don’t do it again…

I think newer trailers are going to have single electrical sockets? The reason I say this is because the truck came with a 1 into 2 (like Premiums et al use) and also a 1 to 1 that looks similar to an ABS lead but has many more pins and replaces the 1 into 2 lead which currently runs trailer electrics.
Also, there’s nowhere to store all the leads if you’re running bob-tail, there’s a blank for each of the air lines, then there’s 2 abs style blanks, that’s it.

The electrical leads on the unit side have ‘anti tamper’ devices fitted to prevent them from being stolen, this is a pain in the arse after an abs lead got broken, new abs lead sourced but couldn’t be fitted due to this - even though the old one was removed with moderate effort, so they’re still nickable but not replaceable without tools (torq key (think it was a 25…) and 10mm spanner / long socket)

Seat doesn’t go very far back, I’m a pretty tiny bloke at 5’8 with 29" inside leg and I have the seat all the way back.

Bed has a recline function - I think this is standard - which is nice when you’re messing on the lappy or whatever on the bunk.

2 power sockets on passenger side, 1 12v and 1 24v, the 24v is permanent live and the 12v on a switch. Another 24v under the stereo is ignition powered and the ciggy lighter is ignition powered - don’t know the voltage on that though.

gardun:

Pulls well and new auto box is better than before. Doesn’t pull as well as the old 1, green band is 200rpm higher at the start, autobox MUCH worse than our 61 plates
Not as comfy as the old one but not as bad as the Axor. MUCH comfier than our old ones, but noisier and the engine seems to work harder in normal running
Sound system crap. It has excellent input options and controls, but what comes out of the speakers is crap. Agreed 100%, the speakers are absolute ■■■■■
Comes with sat nav, DVD as standard. Neither of these is standard, none in mine, although it looks like a sat nav type stereo, it has no sat nav or dvd function, but does include bluetooth
No ignition key - sort of notebook type electronic thingy you post in a slot, then a button to stop/start.a soft touch on the button for the ignition, oil check is on the display

Overall I don’t complain about it, but it’s certainly not the truck it should have been, and that’s disappointing from a previous Actros fan who thought they just needed to sort the damned cup holder - which they have by the way.

I can’t think of anything else to add, but I should be able to answer any questions.

It’s a wagon with wheels, one of which steers it. It has an engine, that will do the job, lights for when it’s dark or ■■■■■ weather and if it rains it will keep you dry. It won’t be as comfy as home but will be better than kipping in a Transit. Some drivers will hate it, some will love it and some will dress theirs up with toys 'cos they’ve nowt better to spend money on!

The above applies to all tractors whatever the badge on the front! As for specifics, I can’t help as the only Mercs I’ve driven have all been ■■■■■■■■■■■■ they were all pretty high mileage to be fair, though not that old (about four years).

Not much help really, but all accurate nevertheless! :laughing:

They’ve got to be better than daf speakers, turn the volume above half way and it’s like a bag of cats having a fight in the speaker. The brakes also screech wherever you go, bloody embarrasing. The only stereo & speaker system in a truck that has been ok is Scania’s.

I had a look around one yesterday and was pretty impressed when comparing it to the MAN I normally ( try to ) drive . The only niggles the driver had were minor really . If your fairly short then the side lockers are pretty much useless as they are so high you can’t reach all the way into them . Overall though , seems like a well specced truck with ooodles of space . I’d swap tomorrow .

chilistrucker:
couple of the m.a.n.s at our place have the big subwoofer speaker, but its too bassy. (i know, never happy)

have you tried altering the bass setting? there might be a separate sub setting

Well, it’s arrived. Only driven it round the yard today, but out and about with it tomorrow. Looking forward to getting to work with it :smiley: :smiley:

From this:

To this:

Not a very good photo, I’ll try again in the light! First job in the morning is to help fit new curtains to my trailer (can’t beat a fresh set of curtains :wink: :wink: ), then the whole lot has got to be logo’ed up. Keep a look out for me, and give me a wave if you see me!

Gary

Is that a new Actros, looks like the old style grill to me, or are they still making them with that grill, what reg is it?

Sapper

^ What he said, ain’t that the last generation Actros?

Oh dear…thats the older MP3 and not the new MP4 he thought it would be :blush: . Bet that’s took the shine of it! Still a nice motor though

Actrosman:
Oh dear…thats the older MP3 and not the new MP4 he thought it would be :blush: . Bet that’s took the shine of it! Still a nice motor though

On the bright side, apparently the only ■■■■ bit is the cup holder! :slight_smile:

It’s a 62 reg, with 199 ks on it, but yes, does seem to be the older model. Not to worry though, it’s got more storage cupboards than the MAN, so at least I won’t have all my toot on the bunk to have to shift around at night. Still not convinced by the auto box, but beggars can’t be choosers!

Gary

scaniason:
It’s a 62 reg, with 199 ks on it, but yes, does seem to be the older model. Not to worry though, it’s got more storage cupboards than the MAN, so at least I won’t have all my toot on the bunk to have to shift around at night. Still not convinced by the auto box, but beggars can’t be choosers!

Gary

They are making both models side by side for a while it seems, seen a few 62 plate older shape ones around.

Aye definitely old version

Silver_Surfer:
They’ve got to be better than daf speakers, turn the volume above half way and it’s like a bag of cats having a fight

ah good, thought it was just mine… was going to ask how to solve this but clearly no point now lol.

Love the look of them new mercs, apprantley there is one turning up at the place i work in a few weeks, well the new year, so hopefully ill have a play some time soon. I am a fan of the actross so i hope it lives up to the standards.

At least it’s a megaspace ! It will be like living in a mansion compared to the terraced house that would be your MAN !

nsmith1180:

Actrosman:

On the bright side, apparently the only [zb] bit is the cup holder! :slight_smile:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: