New Actros

Took a 450bhp gigaspace for a quick blast today, lovely truck! Just a solo tractor unit so can’t really comment on how it pulls but it did drive and ride very nicely. I only hope that Merc have built something more reliable than the outgoing model. If so i reckon it will be a success!

Hope its got better electrics than the f’'king Axor, when they’re not going through bulbs, the computer decides it doesn’t want to give you gears, or the latest the indicators stop working for no apparent reason, had to wait in Glasgow for a Merc spannerman to arrive at 05.00 but he couldn’t figure it out either, eventually the indicators/hazards decided to cooperate again, to be on the safe side he fitted a new relay, as we agreed it was the only thing it could have been. I do like driving the Axor but the electrics are absolute CRAP :imp:

We have had one for a week on tramping. Driver said he preferred his 2009 model. Said if he didn’t know otherwise would have thought he was in a Renault.

I am here: tapatalk.com/map.php?ruswpb

Sorry but seen enough of people getting a large pant feeling for the new actros! Unless they’ve eventually got a decent auto box or put a manual box back in then well I’m soory but I’m oooutt!
I had 59 and 60 plate actros’s and they were pants. In an axor now and i can actually keep the mid lift up now with an empty trailer but gear changes are pants. Did we really have to have automatic boxes in lorries?
I’m sure I’ll be shot down here but I hate them still after 2 years of using them :exclamation:

I shift in the Volvo is fine!

I am here: tapatalk.com/map.php?b4v5hv

Apparently the box is supposed to be better

I Know lots of people wiil have different oppinions on different things but theres not much difference with any of the performances of autos, & I have driven them all except the renault, & my present ride is a 2 peddle Actross 59 plate double shifted 6000000 ks in fact whole fleet now Merc & never heard any prob with elecs or Gearboxes. I am not Mercs biggest fan but they are OK Got a 640k trip to do tonight in a new Mega so will see if it`s an improvement

greek:
I Know lots of people wiil have different oppinions on different things but theres not much difference with any of the performances of autos, & I have driven them all except the renault, & my present ride is a 2 peddle Actross 59 plate double shifted 6000000 ks in fact whole fleet now Merc & never heard any prob with elecs or Gearboxes. I am not Mercs biggest fan but they are OK Got a 640k trip to do tonight in a new Mega so will see if it`s an improvement

In 2x 4.5 hour stints■■? :open_mouth:

What’s wrong with that dew. I regularly do 700+ks in a day and have done the odd 800. And he’s doing it on nights

OVLOV JAY:
What’s wrong with that dew. I regularly do 700+ks in a day and have done the odd 800. And he’s doing it on nights

Sorry, my mistake, I read it as 640,000! Didn’t think he’d mean Kms!

We have one on demo at the mo, I took it for a spin. Very nice but I think I prefer the current one tbh

Aaron

And my normal ride restricted to 52mph dew still manage to do it round about 8hr 40min
Just got in off trip in new mega, not to bad inside quite pleasant colours although bunk a light cream will soon mark, biggest bunk now on bottom which I think is a better set up, bit better shaped seat, although think this one was the basic,overhead lockers not as big as old ones although plenty of storage space, every thing at hand but the mph part of speedo difficult to read in daylight , both stalks for wipers gearchange etc hidden behind spokes of steering wheel.Didnt get read the 320 odd pages of the manual before I got away so just played it by ear :smiley: managed to read a lttle bit while having a break & you dont get to starting up till page 190 :smiley: . Quite a nice drive a lot firmer than the old one not so much nodding & roll on corners though I thought there was more wind noise. It will take quite a while to find out how all the tec bits work but the lane wander I thought was a good addition especialy for us night men, didnt think much of the distance & braking thing was using it on a n a road feet on the floor cruise control & it was good slowing down & keeping a nice distance from the moter in front then speeding up keeping up with traffic, tiil i got behind a small wagon turning left merc kept going I moved a little to the right to move past it then the merc chucked the brakes on, did not like that much so switched it off tried it again on the moterway & it was too much hard work, dont think its a good idea for our congested roads cant see many drivers using it. Could go on all night but off to bed, in all a nice looking truck I wouldn`t mind being away in all week but not a great deal of difference to the old one .My critcism would be too much electric gadgetry & you need to be an underaduate to learn all of it, I think manufacturers should remember its drivers that drive trucks not electrics theres no subtitute for the human eye or brain :wink:

Not driven one and I’m not likely too either with my firm but I think they look ugly, prefer the last model

Seen one the other night on the M74 it was pulling a Prestons trailer but seemed to die on the hills i was loaded at 42 ton but restricted to 52 mph and sailed by it on Beattock

streaky:
Sorry but seen enough of people getting a large pant feeling for the new actros! Unless they’ve eventually got a decent auto box or put a manual box back in then well I’m soory but I’m oooutt!
I had 59 and 60 plate actros’s and they were pants. In an axor now and i can actually keep the mid lift up now with an empty trailer but gear changes are pants. Did we really have to have automatic boxes in lorries?
I’m sure I’ll be shot down here but I hate them still after 2 years of using them :exclamation:

Don’t put your ■■■■ down on the front of the trailer then :laughing: :laughing:

This just gone up on Taft’s Facebook page, apparently one of the first 2 in SE England

255414_419402641424819_1557238366_n.jpg

drove the old style actros and hated it so much so i left that job
but i must admit i do like the look of the new shape

pinched this photo off facebook… lomas’s new one

Is’nt it strange how different drivers have different preferances…ive had two previous shape Actros Megaspace cabs and would have loved another. I spent most of last year driving various demonstrators & rental trucks but still prefurred the Merc to any off the others ( with the possible exception of a DAF SSC ).Ive now got a new Volvo FH which to be honest im not that keen on. I certainly dont like it enough to buy one if i were an owner driver. I’m affraid i’m one of the old school who would still prefure a manuel gearbox if possible but have to admit that the Volvo box is one of the better autos ive tried. Anyway, my point being…we all like different motors for different reasons, and lets face it, none of them are actually ‘bad’ are they?.

Yes you’re right, none of them are that bad, I just think the ‘auto’ boxes are awful, If you put it in ‘manual’ then you’re forever looking at a little screen to see what gear you’re in or leave it in auto and you take pot luck at roundabouts and junctions. It just doesn’t seem like progression when you are either revving the nuts out of an engine or looking at the dashboard instead of out of the windscreen.
Yes we no longer use ou left leg but come on it wasn’t hard was it? And at least we knew which bloody gear we were in! :smiling_imp:
Oh balls to it I hate auto boxes! :smiley: