Mercedes Benz Actros

Well, things are still progressing although a phone call to VOSA yesterday reveals that they have messed up my application, but my case worker has promised to re-submit it to the TC with their mistake corrected, whereupon the licence should be granted, possibly next week.

I’ve still got all of my options open, and whatever vehicle I finally choose I’ve learned a lot about various trucks by asking people who have operated them so thanks.

Today I’m asking about Mercedes Benz trucks. The very first truck I drove was a 1628 but that was years ago. Other that that I’ve not had one although someone I know does, and he says it just never goes wrong.

Have a look at this.

usedtrucks.mercedes-benz.co. … le-rx07pnv

Mercedes Benz 2546 Actros LS Megaspace, euro 5. It would seem to be pretty much what I want, so can I ask for the usual reviews, the good, the bad and the ugly? Ta.

I like them reliable and good on fuel.

no a few people running them havnt myself but the 460 actros the best on fuel
i looked at one few months back but went with the magnum and everyone told me the 460 better than a 480 on fuel
and not that much difference on power appartnly

Another quick question, not specifically about MB. Is there a deadline yet for euro 5 to become the minimum standard for the LEZ?

I think 2020

kr79:
I think 2020

Ta, I think I will ask this specific question on the PDF to see if I can get a definitive answer.

I like my merc to live with, but am not impressed with the drive. Very lazy going through the box. It’s pretty bullet proof but un drivable in auto when empty. No prob loaded but empty it starts in 5th and changes to 8th then 12th by 38mph. Having to use manual defeats the object of an auto. It will up shift goin up hill empty too, causing it to drop about 3-4 mph while it sorts itself out. Gearbox ecus are a common fault so maybe mine is on the way out

nice trucks, plenty of space, flat floor is great for ease of access but can be a pain keeping the cab clean

they do not all come with fitted fridge as standard, the cable for the top drawer under the bunk can fail and you can’t get the drawer/fridge (if fitted) open

you will get mixed reviews on fuel usage, and not having driven one for quite a while, i wouldn’t like to comment

Hi Harry I px my Daf xf for a 460 mega space last jan,the best move I’ve ever made ,the truck is a joy to live in so well thought out with more than enough storage space, the flat floor is excellent people comin up with stories bt stuff rollin round the cab floor n stuff gettin caught under pedals are tallk in rubbish, fuel wise I average 7.2 mpg wich considering I’m on brick n block work 18t when empty lot of town driving is v good in my eyes the Daf was only returning 6.7mpg I don’t welly it either n drive it sensibly as I pay the fuel bill, mines a 58 plate and the only prob iv had with it was a sensor on the ad blue system, the gearbox is def up there with the I shift , the only niggle iv got is the adblue tank is to small and won’t last a weeks worth of tramping, the build quality is solid it’s German so would be think the only prob you may have if you buy one is that spar shats are crap so I’d find another dealer if you have any maintance probs, in my opinion one of the best trucks out there

i had a 54 plate 6x2 2546 for a few months, same gearbox as the one in your advert.
The problems i had were: i found it very underpowered for a 460, more like a 400. Anything over 2 ton in the trailer (on tilt work for Norfolk Line) and the middle axle would automaticly drop down, Merc garage said there wasnt any problems as far as their computer said when they plugged it in. :unamused: Gearbox wasnt too bad, but dont do anything quickly or it will just constantly make a clicking noise and you have to try again for a gear and loose the momentum. I found the bed to be comfortable but probably the narrowest bed in a lorry ive slept in.
Apart from that, a nice motor, looks good, drives nice, good mirrors, good driving position, good storage.
Mate of mine has got a 11 reg ‘small’ cab Actros 2546, thou he would rather have a manual, he says its a good bit of kit. (he’s on bulk work, so fully freighted a lot)

The actros mega space is the most unreliable truck I have had the misfortune to own.
On the power shift you ll be putting clutches in at 180,000 kms ,we have had engines let go on trucks with 400,000kms ,gearboxes fail at 500,000kms etc etc the list is endless.
As a truck fo a new start business it will bankrupt you within 18 months.

Please heed my advice and keep well away.

The MP2 is about as bulletproof a truck you’ll ever buy, but I’d go for the fully auto as the semi with the clutch not particulary nice to use :confused: .
Only thing of concern I’ve had with mine in 750,000 kms is the brake calipers seizing, but they’re Haldex components common to other marques.
Dead easy to look after, the service items thrown up by the computer can be reset from the drivers seat.
Top bunk is the best place to sleep, wider and a lot more comfy than the bottom.
A plus point for the truck your looking at is its being sold by a Merc dealer, they tend to keep the best and put the rest out into the trade.

monarch of the highway:
Hi Harry I px my Daf xf for a 460 mega space last jan,the best move I’ve ever made

Stralisnumerouno:
The actros mega space is the most unreliable truck I have had the misfortune to own.

This does just seem to confirm my previously stated view that whatever truck you ask about, one man’s dream is another man’s nightmare.

It has been the same with every truck I have asked about…

Harry Monk:

Stralisnumerouno:

This does just seem to confirm my previously stated view that whatever truck you ask about, one man’s dream is another man’s nightmare.

And thats a damming opinion from someone with an unusual username :wink:

monarch of the highway:
Hi Harry I px my Daf xf for a 460 mega space last jan,the best move I’ve ever made ,the truck is a joy to live in so well thought out with more than enough storage space, the flat floor is excellent people comin up with stories bt stuff rollin round the cab floor n stuff gettin caught under pedals are tallk in rubbish, fuel wise I average 7.2 mpg wich considering I’m on brick n block work 18t when empty lot of town driving is v good in my eyes the Daf was only returning 6.7mpg I don’t welly it either n drive it sensibly as I pay the fuel bill, mines a 58 plate and the only prob iv had with it was a sensor on the ad blue system, the gearbox is def up there with the I shift , the only niggle iv got is the adblue tank is to small and won’t last a weeks worth of tramping, the build quality is solid it’s German so would be think the only prob you may have if you buy one is that spar shats are crap so I’d find another dealer if you have any maintance probs, in my opinion one of the best trucks out there

If that’s the only problem you had with it what makes the dealer crap?

monarch of the highway:
the only prob you may have if you buy one is that spar shats are crap so I’d find another dealer if you have any maintance probs,

Again, this just seems to prove that one man’s meat is another man’s poison, I asked somebody today who has bought six Mercedes-Benz trucks from Sparshatt’s and who previously ran Volvo’s and he said “Sparshatt’s are everything MC Truck and Bus should be but aren’t”.

I have an Actros and am a big fan. They have there problems though,most have a gearbox issue you will need to know your stuff or someone that does to conquer this common problem. Most built after 2007 come with the power shift box,it is known to be no. 2 to volvox I shift. Mine has. 400 k on the clock and does timber haulage on rural roads always fully loaded,runs a timber crane and about an hour empty running every day. The truck was flawless for it’s first 2 years,then it got a recall to replace the dual mass clutch,check this has been done. It wasnt right after,source of problem was booster,not mercs fault the yard driver wasn’t disengaging the pot when shunting in the yard. It did need a gearbox ecu though this cost 1000€ plus labour and loads have done the same. I’m biased of course but they are built to last in my opinion. The key with merc or any brand is a good local dealer,trucks vary in a name only but unhelpful,knowledgeable dealers are what will really matter as all trucks break down.
You should trial a magnum,if the fuel is ok and you can live with the cab they are great value any the most underrated truck out there. Good luck. :slight_smile:

Harry Monk:

monarch of the highway:
the only prob you may have if you buy one is that spar shats are crap so I’d find another dealer if you have any maintance probs,

Again, this just seems to prove that one man’s meat is another man’s poison, I asked somebody today who has bought six Mercedes-Benz trucks from Sparshatt’s and who previously ran Volvo’s and he said “Sparshatt’s are everything MC Truck and Bus should be but aren’t”.

Most of the problems experienced with dealers arise through a lack of communication, too many assumptions are made on both sides, best thing to do is tell them exactly what you want, when you want it and ask if they can do it, be persistent, any hesitation on the dealer front usually means a f**k up is on the horizon.

Even if you are being totally unreasonable and the guy/girl (and always ask for their name!!) on the other end gives you even a partial solution you are onto a winner, as at least they are trying to help and you have a starting point.

Half the problems in the world would disappear if only for decent communication.

Harry Monk:

monarch of the highway:

Ok might of just had a bad Experiance with them main dealer middle of winter and no batteries Instock in either of there depots so I might of over egged it a bit sayin they where crap

Harry Monk:

monarch of the highway:
Hi Harry I px my Daf xf for a 460 mega space last jan,the best move I’ve ever made

Stralisnumerouno:

Totally agree with you on tht one first truck I owned was a Daf xf complete. Nightmare def fri anoon moter so would never recommend one however this is a totally tunnel visioned view as iv friends who run them trouble free,