Ouch that hurts!

I have on many occasions heard many peeps talks about finding it hard to get work with out experience , now that has happened to em, and bloody hurts to say the least!

Well after a break of 6 years i tried to register with an agency to start part time work and then move into full time over the next 2 months. Wouldn’t even take me on the books as I don’t have ‘recent; experience, although I drove for 4 years before my break. Was well disappointed … next move yet to be determined!

keep trying different places…not to be put dwn by the first hurdle

Where are u based people on here might be able to help ?
I know the agency I work for are looking for drivers and they got me work with no experience at all

Jennie x

Know that feeling only to well. 33 phone calls yesterday morning, only three possibles, even then they said “it will be a challenge” starting to wonder whether I should have spent my 2k on a holiday instead!!

Don’t tell them you’ve had a gap otherwise you’re shooting yourself in the foot. If they ask about recent experience tell them about the “mate” you’ve been driving for but make sure you have someone on the end of a phone number to back it up if they want to check. Be creative. Agency scum are easy to fool with BS stories.

thank you all for the support, if one thing i can remember from the days i used drive was the kindness and unity of the trucking community while on the road. Yeah you had a few idiots but in the main drivers looked out for each other and always helped. The idiots were mainly warehosue staff trying to make lfie difficult!

I live in Wolves (apologies to any Mancunians after the jammy result for Wolves this weekend :smiley: )

So if anyone has any leads plz let me know. I rather not BS to the agency but may have to at this rate, particularly as i dotn want to be sent to drive an artic after such a long break. i wanna do few shifts in class 2 first then move onto artics and do refresher in between to polish on reverse.

I note some trainers are offering free training but one stickign point for many of us is getting the experience. I would be great if owner drivers and companies offered a mentoring scheme where you can sit with the driver and maybe do some ‘easy’ driving and in that way build your experience, obviously one wouldnt expect full pay but its better than signing on and waiting for the ‘experience’ badge to fall from the sky!

You could go speak with 1 of your local trainers ask if you can do a day refresher

Why do be thrown in at the deep end :question: as im sure it will all come back like riding a bike

As if you do get a hard job at 1st then the others wont faze you

Pops77:
thank you all for the support, if one thing i can remember from the days i used drive was the kindness and unity of the trucking community while on the road. Yeah you had a few idiots but in the main drivers looked out for each other and always helped. The idiots were mainly warehosue staff trying to make lfie difficult!

I live in Wolves (apologies to any Mancunians after the jammy result for Wolves this weekend :smiley: )

So if anyone has any leads plz let me know. I rather not BS to the agency but may have to at this rate, particularly as i dotn want to be sent to drive an artic after such a long break. i wanna do few shifts in class 2 first then move onto artics and do refresher in between to polish on reverse.

I note some trainers are offering free training but one stickign point for many of us is getting the experience. I would be great if owner drivers and companies offered a mentoring scheme where you can sit with the driver and maybe do some ‘easy’ driving and in that way build your experience, obviously one wouldnt expect full pay but its better than signing on and waiting for the ‘experience’ badge to fall from the sky!

You’ll never get any agency work like that, or it will be some scraps and [zb] jobs that they can’t get anyone else to do. Once you’ve driven an artic you don’t suddenly forget. I’m confident that for someone that’s driven as long as you, you would pick it up again automatically within 30 mins to an hour, and let’s be honest even those of us that drive all week have ‘off’ days when we can’t get the trailer to go where it should. You’re worrying about nothing; stop fretting and just get on with it. :smiley:

Go to yell.com and search for all the agencies in your area. I spoke to one yesterday and was told if I was a newbie class 1 driver, they could still get me immediate work as a lot of the company’s offer training. Give it a go. Perseverance is the key… I hope!! :wink:

Try Best Connection.
Theyve been really helpful with me.