oh deep joy...

4 hours in a 1982 ford cargo 17.5 tonner tomorrow (today), from immingham to uxbridge.

I can hardly wait - lol - a vehicle thats almost as old as the driver !!! (just 3-4 years in it seeing as I dropped in december 78 !!).

:open_mouth: I remember them, I also remember that I hated them cos they’re kak, but I don’t want to put you off. :smiling_imp: :wink:

Ford Cargo… Oh Dear. What were they thinking of?

Nice plastic dash with red piping around it.
The floppiest gearbox linkage EVER.
One cab fits all, 7.5 - 38tonne, same cab!
Kangaroo suspension to check your fillings are secure.

The yanks are still running them in large numbers!

Nothing wrong with Cargo’s, I’m using one on recovery work at the moment, its the spare that no one else drives, but once you get use to them they are not that bad. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS KEEP TELLING YOURSELF THAT UNTIL REALITY GIVES IN.
They are slow, under powered, miles from what you would expect from a modern truck but they are OK.

they sound fantastic if they have the old v8 ■■■■■■■ in them,mind they still arnt quick,but ive never minded driving them,better than a merc 1617.

crikey!

what a shed!

just repatriated from iceland, covered in muck, grime, and a cab full of detritus such as icelandic chocolate box-drinks, pepsi bottles, etc etc.
Gearbox was ummm, interesting. like stirring porridge.
brakes were a bit on-off as well.

vast swathes of the dash were missing, the spare tyre had been exploded at some point and parts of the truck were lashed on with straps and rope.

the bugger slowed to 35 up hills on the M1 and downhill would have run away above 70 I reckon given the rate it was going.

only problem came at the end when the power steering died unexpectedly (didn’t even realise it had any cos it was heavy anyway!) in the middle of parking up and cos the bugger was working against me and I had to avoid hitting a parked lorry I accidentally tore my shoulder ligaments with the effort of pulling it round.

a day at home and the doctors tomorrow then :frowning:

:open_mouth: Maybe I should of put you off them afterall. :confused:

That thing should be in the scrap yard. They were kak when they were new.

Qhunter:
The floppiest gearbox linkage EVER.

Hmm. We’ve got a few of those :frowning: One of them, whilst it is a good enough truck and can cruise quite happily at 70mph all day (7.5t), the gearbox has 3 neutral places. You can slip it into “neutral” and then find it’s still in some gear :frowning: I think it’s been broken somewhere along the line and bodged up as even finding a decent gear without making a racket ouf of the gearbox is a test!