Crikey o'reilly batman! must have been a fair old weight!

I did a run for a large well known shipping and distribution firm yesterday (blue liveries, foreign origins I think) from south humberside, running to bradford to drop, then re-fill near wigan and droylesden for the run back to base. “nice little” v-reg ERF ecs11 10-wheeler with about 650k on the clock, pulling one of those funny looking trailers I don’t remember the name for, with curtain top and uppser sides, metal edges, tiny tail-gate at the back, and wires running through hoops/loops all the way round the edges to keep it all closed… running a load of plasticcy things to a manufacturer/distributer.

the run out must have been a massive weight!

Struggled up the M606 at 30mph, pulling away in low-split 1st on anything but level ground, and generally getting in everyone’s way if they wanted to go anywhere at normal speeds :laughing:

but it struck home how heavy it was and how it makes our job difficult when I had my first sphincter-tightening experience…

turning right into the side-road for my drop, I was static, waiting for the gap to present itself - lorry coming up toward me (an inlcine before the level/plateau I was on) flashed me on, so q little squirt in high 2nd to get the ball rolling, about walking pace, truck’s nose already nearly onto side road and trailer following round nicely, split left unchanged to go for high 3rd, clutch in, and scraaaape, scratch, scrabble, grind, scunchy noises from back of the truck - as the momentum at walking pace of the trailer begins to push the truck round into a jack-knife motion while there’s no drive through the wheels - the noises of course being tyres beginning to go sideways on tarmac! :open_mouth:

fortunately, having little or should I say no experience of this happening, being likely to happen in these circumstances, or what a driver is supposed to do I just got it in gear ASAP and back on the gas to draw the truck forward and make the trailer follow. seems to have been the right thing cos it went where it was supposed to and I’m here now having completed my drop and collections etc relaying the tale :smiley:

but crikey - it was an interesting (in inverted commas!) experience to have, with no idea it could/would, :smiley: - so one more lesson to chalk up in my mental record - very heavy load = extra care on 90-degree turns from standing start …

would that company be Daft Flippin Distribution Service by any chance?#

Just a question, wheres “South Humberside”, unless you mean North East Lincolnshire. Humberside died a death many years ago, apart from the Police and Fire services.

el gordo 78:
I did a run for a large well known shipping and distribution firm yesterday (blue liveries, foreign origins I think) , pulling one of those funny looking trailers I don’t remember the name for, with curtain top and uppser sides, metal edges, tiny tail-gate at the back, and wires running through hoops/loops all the way round the edges to keep it all closed… .

That would be a tilt then :wink: and if the Dead Fish Delivery Service, are as accurate with thier weights as Flaming Mess used to be, then your paper work would bear no relation to what weight you actually had. Happy Days :smiley:

just used to saying “I’m from north lincs”
replied to with “where’s that? anywhere near boston or stamford”
followed up with “nearer grimsby”
which gets “ahh, near scarborough”

lmao

average brits geography is awful (including a surprising amount of truckers I meet, it seems :frowning: ) - so I say humberside :smiley: then they at least know its near that rivery bit that slices in on the weather map :smiley:

and being a yorkshireman by upbringing, I don’t mind naming the area erroneously :laughing: :wink:

here, why do they call them tilts if they don’t tilt?

or do they? :question:

got the firm reet though :smiley:

all good fun eh :stuck_out_tongue:

If anyone asks me where Im from I skirt around the issue :stuck_out_tongue:

East Yorkshire I reply,

Oh Where abouts?

Between York and the Coast

There is no way Im going to say near Hull :smiley: (Im not from Hull, but its the closest fishing village to me)

And if they are from West Yorkshire they think the county town of Yorkshire is Bridlington.

They are known as Comforts!

Me an’t missis as comfort week :smiley:

And aren’t the folks from Lincolnshire known as Yellow Bellies?

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:

a lad in our office is from grimsby and when i mentioned when speaking to a mate at a well known lincoln firm that we had a yellow belly, he was quick to correct me - what you’ve got is a “codhead” said he - made me laught it did! :laughing:

and malc, don’t live in shame, if you’re a hully gully come out and be proud - your mate bob always strenuously denied it too but we knew better! :wink:

jj72:

Wheel Nut:

a lad in our office is from grimsby and when i mentioned when speaking to a mate at a well known lincoln firm that we had a yellow belly, he was quick to correct me - what you’ve got is a “codhead” said he - made me laught it did! :laughing:

and malc, don’t live in shame, if you’re a hully gully come out and be proud - your mate bob always strenuously denied it too but we knew better! :wink:

I am not a codhead or a hully gully, there is a big difference when you live 15 miles away :smiley:

Cheers mate :blush: