Ford Cargo's (request)

Some love them, some hate them. But one thing does ring true. Cargo’s were a very popular vehicle choice when they were new. This is only really from an managers point of view. Mainly because of them being so lightweight. However, I am quite fond of the little things. Mainly the oddities and the tractors. However, I am happy with any. So please, if you have a Cargo pic or 2 that you would not mind sharing, whether it be one you worked on, or a magazine clipping, please post them below. Also, can I ask that you let me know (in your post) if you mind me using them on my Ford Cargo Club website (link in signature).

Thanks

Andy

Geezah:
Some love them, some hate them. But one thing does ring true. Cargo’s were a very popular vehicle choice when they were new. This is only really from an managers point of view. Mainly because of them being so lightweight. However, I am quite fond of the little things. Mainly the oddities and the tractors. However, I am happy with any. So please, if you have a Cargo pic or 2 that you would not mind sharing, whether it be one you worked on, or a magazine clipping, please post them below. Also, can I ask that you let me know (in your post) if you mind me using them on my Ford Cargo Club website (link in signature).

Thanks

Andy

Here’s one to start you off:

PFR 308X, one of four Cargos operated by W. H. Bowker LImited on contract to Keyes Huntsman of Skelmersdale. The others were WFR 121/2Y and CCK 660Y. All operated with trailers on long distance work, until replaced by C-reg Mercedes 814s, pulling the same trailers.

Thank you for that photo. I assume they pulled A-Frames. Can I post this (with credit to you) on my website?

Its interesting to see that all 4 of those Cargo’s only lasted about 8/9 years according to the DVLA before they were off the road for good.

Thanks again

I know they weren’t so well thought of at the end of their life, but the Cargo was a revelation when it came out in the early 80s, the competition of the time consisted of the Leyland Terrier/boxer/Clydesdale, Bedford TK/TL, Dodge Commando, there were more like the Mercs & Fiats, but the rigid market then was almost completely British, compared to them the Cargo was in a different class, Iveco still use the name now, albeit with Euro added to it, so good was its reputation, it almost became a generic term for a 7.5tonner much like the Transit in the van class.

I had the honour of writing about the Cargo for the 25th anniversary of the Truck of the Year & took one of the later ones out for a quick road test, I had just recently covered the launch of the ‘new’ Cargo from Iveco & the old Ford could still hold its head high in such company.

Although saying that, they were a crap tractor unit, when I was on Solstor we had 3 as UK shunters & I took one up to York once, it had an L10-290 ■■■■■■■ with a Twin Splitter, that part was fine, but the brakes were awful & I’m comparing it to the F12 I normally had & Volvos were never known for their good brakes!

Here are a few cuttings Andy :laughing:

Andy,feel free to use these as you wish :laughing:

Cheers Marc.

There is still a six wheeler Cargo tipper operated by a limespreading contractor Wesley Jones, its on an A plate( 1984 ) and he has had it from new. It got a 17 ton payload at 24 ton gross, more than the new lorries at 26 ton gross.If you come into Mid Wales you might meet him on the road.

]

Geezah:
Thank you for that photo. I assume they pulled A-Frames. Can I post this (with credit to you) on my website?

Its interesting to see that all 4 of those Cargo’s only lasted about 8/9 years according to the DVLA before they were off the road for good.

Thanks again

Yes, feel free to post, but please credit to W. H. Bowker Group archive.

They ran with tandem-axle, single-tyred trailers, and which would have been, perhaps about 16’ long. The Cargos were sold without the trailers, and were replaced on the contract directly by the Mercedes LN2s.

240 Gardner:

Geezah:

Thanks again

Yes, feel free to post, but please credit to W. H. Bowker Group archive.

They ran with tandem-axle, single-tyred trailers, and which would have been, perhaps about 16’ long. The Cargos were sold without the trailers, and were replaced on the contract directly by the Mercedes LN2s.

Thank you. I will certainly credit them. Thank you. If you find any more, give me a shout.

Cheers

Sorry I do not have the technical ability to post photos, but I ran a couple of 1615s for several years. Real value for money trucks, very cheap to buy second hand and easy to repair. I had never been very complimentary about Fords, until I needed a lorry at very short notice, a cargo happened to be the first available and away I went. They took me all over Europe and always brought me home. They were not new by any means when I got them and both continued until beaten by rust.

Peter

Peter Coaker:
Sorry I do not have the technical ability to post photos, but I ran a couple of 1615s for several years. Real value for money trucks, very cheap to buy second hand and easy to repair. I had never been very complimentary about Fords, until I needed a lorry at very short notice, a cargo happened to be the first available and away I went. They took me all over Europe and always brought me home. They were not new by any means when I got them and both continued until beaten by rust.

Peter

If you have any pics, you can send them me, I can scan them in and return them to you. Thats if thats ok by you.

Andy

I spent my school holidays & Saturdays travelling around Ireland in Ford Cargo 1314 & later a few higher BHP versions delivering for Kelloggs,the traucks were lease by Federal Express off Dan Ryan truck rentals in Dublin,they had minimum of 10 running in the Kelloggs colours,as soon as I get my scanner working I’ll upload some pics,they’re not great quality though.
See below for an unusual but tidy version;

bugcos:
Saw these last week

Still quite a few kicking round these parts; mainly horse boxes but the occasional farm truck too. One of our local merchants has an “H” reg 811 flatbed still doing daily service.

I’ll try and get a pic if I can.

me and my then brother in law alan worked for this firm martin christian transport of fazeley nr tamworth the trucks were painted in blue hawks colours based at ruddington notts now part of british gypsum.pics of alans truck getting ready for tamworth carnval this was one of them 220 specials

and shep alans cabmut

this is sat in a friends recovery yard not doing much…

Heres the underneath of one - :smiley:

Steve

here’s my Ford Cargo pictures – rusty and shiny

Cargo graveyard in Norfolk -

tidy 4 wheeler at last years Great Dorset

artic beast at Gaydon – the bigger cargoes are much better looker trucks

retired tipper in wildest Herefordshire - visible on Google Earth - a beast!

same tipper

buried - stored-up cab

graveyard again

kidderminster shunter - very shiny, very loud and still powering around kiddy