Ford Cargos

Hi all.

I have always loved the Ford Cargo. More so the Tractor or Drawbar rigs. I wish to set up a site in dedication to these once great motors. But i need your help. Anyone who has pictures of any Ford Cargo, that they dont mind going on a website (with credit) which is free to view. Also any old Cargo drivers with a good story to tell. Also get in touch, In time, my dream is to own a Cargo Tractor (6x2 or 6x4 (did they ever do a 6x4 tractor?) given choice), but with many now cola cans i see this very unlikely.

Please get in touch with any help, and size Cargo pics, from 7.5 tonne to 38 tonne, tatty, new, scapheap, anything. Also any info with locations of the trucks will also be a big help.

Thanks in advance

Team Cargo
(A. Ward and A. Bootles)

A few on here.
images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en … ages&gbv=2

Geezah:
I have always loved the Ford Cargo

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: Horrible things. :laughing:

When I turned 18, the removal company I worked for had a 7.5 ton cargo. I thought I was the bees knees and drove that thing all round Europe with the biggest smile on my face!!!

The fact that it couldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding, the brakes were horrendous and only had a day cab were minor inconveniences!! I thought I was a proper trucker…if only I knew :blush:

Thanks guys. I would love stories of when you drove them (if you did) and piccies too.

2.srv.fotopages.com/2/5073038/Fo … o-4030.jpg
How can you hate a Cargo?

Andy W

A Ford Cargo was the first artic I drove “for real” when I started agency work after about 9 months driving a rigid on general haulage.

It was for “fashion flow” in North London, and should have been a simple job but I’d never even coupled a trailer up before or tried blind-side reversing a box van on a dark and stormy night with yard lights shining straight at me :laughing:

I never got asked back to that job :blush: but after that things got better fast :smiley:

I also couldn’t help wondering if the original poster was being serious! I was a full-time driver from about 85 to 94, and during that period I have to say Cargo’s were pretty much the wagon I least wanted to drive; almost down on a level with the execrable Leyland Roadtrain…

I am being serious. Thats what i like about them. They may have been rubbish in some respects, but they have lasted longer than most trucks of thier day. But hey, when i set up my site, it will be for good and bad tales so feel free to post there. They are, in certain respects, alot like Land Rover Defenders. Slow, unreliable, got pannel gaps you could get a 44 tonner through, but they have a certain appeal that people go for.

Andrew

jdc:
… I thought I was the bees knees and drove that thing all round Europe with the biggest smile on my face!!!

The fact that it couldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding, the brakes were horrendous and only had a day cab were minor inconveniences!! I thought I was a proper trucker…if only I knew :blush:

I know exactly what you mean jdc, I was 19 when i did my first solo “continental” trip…in a flat bed TK Bedford!!! :open_mouth: :laughing:

Thought I was the dogs doodaas, even got my mum to run up some curtains for me!! And trying to sleep on the “bunk” (the parcel shelf bit) when your 6ft 3in was fun…only cos the rest of the cab was full of all my “essential” kit that I needed now I was a “continental” Driver!!! :laughing: :laughing:

No night heater, no power steering, no space to move around in but I was happy to do it. :laughing: :laughing:

there a bloke in uttoxeter opposite the three tuns pub, just of the a50 who has got a 4x2 artic cargo parked in his front garden and drives it for pleasure, dam fool i only drove one once as a favor never again

As a Land Rover owner, i am used to things being a bugger to drive. can you get a picture of the Cargo unit for me sometime?

Thanks

Andy

i should have a pic at home of the artic that cammacks (who i used to work for) had (not sure if they still have it) i will forward it when i get home, best person on here is probably truckerash (try the old time lorries section)

We ended up with a couple of Ford Cango at United Carriers during one of their many aquisitions and takeovers. I did a twice nightly trunk to Boston for Duvets and Pillows. That thing flew after being used to Daf 2100 and Bedford KM drawbars.

I think the truck was awful but it would catch pigeons

> Geezah:
> Hi all.
>
> I have always loved the Ford Cargo. More so the Tractor or Drawbar rigs. I wish to set up a site in dedication to these once great motors. But i need your help. Anyone who has pictures of any Ford Cargo, that they dont mind going on a website (with credit) which is free to view. Also any old Cargo drivers with a good story to tell. Also get in touch, In time, my dream is to own a Cargo Tractor (6x2 or 6x4 (did they ever do a 6x4 tractor?) given choice), but with many now cola cans i see this very unlikely.
>
> Please get in touch with any help, and size Cargo pics, from 7.5 tonne to 38 tonne, tatty, new, scapheap, anything. Also any info with locations of the trucks will also be a big help.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Team Cargo
> (A. Ward and A. Bootles)
> [/quote[/i]
> [/size][/size]
>
> Hi there Geezah
> please have a look at: interwheels.nl/FordCargo/Ford_Cargo.htm
> I now have three Cargo: 2x 4x2 3828 tractor units with full sleeper cab and one rigid 4028 with sleeper cab.
> cheers
> Renay

Leyland_marathon2:
I now have three Cargo: 2x 4x2 3828 tractor units with full sleeper cab and one rigid 4028 with sleeper cab.
cheers
Renay

You are a lucky man Renay. I am struggling to find one for sale in this country. Would love one. Love the tractors.

When my fan site is set up can i use your pics (credited of course)

Andy

a 6x2 cargo with extended rear sleeper used to park on west brom truckstop,had a stepframe low loader,with test weights,n a forklift■■?
stobarts had a few drags n a few 6x2 units,may find some pics on a stobbie site.i had one in sweeper guise while i worked for a plant hire co.
absolute bag o s#### :imp: they also had a d series 7.5 flat,no pwr steering,and this is goin back 7yrs,for someone who had only ever driven with pwr steering…sharp learning curve! :blush: personally hated em,cheap n nasty gaffers motor,very similar to the axor ive got now…the future cargo i reckon :imp:

here was my old cargo that i had that i used for pulling old tractors about for 6years…its gone up north somewhere now…

that i sold to buy this

has anyone seen my old cargo since january this year■■?

i have seen a cargo artic today on the ipswich road at ipswich it was pulling a blue curtainsider i think it may have been a tri axle…it was certainly pulling well up the hill and went flying past me…

Bloody things are everywhere now since this post started.

Lets keep quiet about the ERF EP6 & BMC’s then.

i think its a erf ep6 being used as a shunter/trailer testing near felixstowe docks…i think near the bp garage

What one of these?

I’ve never seen an artic unit before, only a handful of rigids.