Ford Cargos

My very first truck, a C reg 7.5tonner, it was around 3 years old when i got it, i used to deliver eggs around London around 25 drops a day, Iceland and Kwiksave were the most popular places, i did go down to Brighton once a week as well, finishing in Kent, which was a night out across the seats, not comfortable but i enjoyed it! The truck was rented from Collease from Wymondham, a local Iveco Ford dealer. Cant remember if it was an 0811 or an 0813

Did that chin spoiler increase downforce? If so did it reduce your payload?

Cargo; the only truck that made a BMC desirable!

I suppose that, for its time, it was a good truck, and certainly a nicer cab layout than the TK’s and D-series which were standard fare then.

My first experience of one was a nearly-new 7.5 tonner, flatbed delivering crates for Bampton Packaging around the East Midlands; it was one of the very early ones with “mandraulic” steering. Pig to drive 'cos the steering-wheel was much smaller than the D-series, but without PAS it was bloody hard work with a load on; the seat wouldn’t permit you to sit far enough above the wheel to be comfortable. Bampton’s also had an old D-series at the time which was much nicer to drive; I bagged that one when I could!

Other thing I never liked about "little"Fords was that rotten 4-speed box; the 3 lower ratios got you to about 20 mph, then to get it into top fully freighted without going straight back down again, you had to be either going on the level or downhill. The whole change tended to be a pain on Cargos; narrow gate, awkward to get into reverse and the lever dug into your leg once it top; which of course wasn’t too often on the earlier ones as they were seriously underpowered till you got up to the 1718. William Wests had a few of those which I occasionally drove on the Boots’ shopfitting contract, with the extra power and 8-speed range change box they weren’t a bad motor.

One thing I will say in favour of the “old” Cargo"; it was a far better-looking truck than its successor, which IMHO is the ugliest commercial vehicle ever made!

kindle530…that cargo may be a special going by the stickers on it…and its a 811…my old cargo had a 4 speed in it when bought that used to slip out of 3rd when going downhill :open_mouth: until i put a 5 speed box in …

8 wheels…sorry i meant a ec10 erf…

Just thought… the trucks which were “new and revolutionary” when I first started HGV driving are now becoming collectable. :blush:

Is THAT what’s inferred by “senior member”? :laughing:

going through photobucket, and i stumbled across these!! your welcome to use them if they are any good…

this was the one i had a drive in, blimey i still remember it, but i did enjoy it!! i think they may still have it in use, i can find out if you want

hammonds wrecker, again i think its still used

cant help you on this one, the pic was taken at warwick services northbound

alright here is one to thrill you

96 Ford Cargo U/DT 133.769 Open

yes top speed holder

more info here

dlra.org.au/profiles/414.htm

and his latest one

I hope you enjoy
cheers

8wheels:

As far as i remember mate, it didnt make hardly any difference, apart from when a teenage girl ran out in front of me and i knocked her down, the bumper spoiler pushed her rather than me run over her. Really glad it was there after that! Jay, yes you are right, it was an 0811, i remember now, after around a year of driving that i got an F reg 0813, and the difference was amazing! Dont think i got any pics of that though.

kindle530:

8wheels:

As far as i remember mate, it didnt make hardly any difference, apart from when a teenage girl ran out in front of me and i knocked her down, the bumper spoiler pushed her rather than me run over her.

…run over by a C Reg Ford Cargo…what a way to go!!! :laughing: :laughing:

Was a long time ago now, not a nice experience, luckily around 4 other drivers stopped and told the police the girl ran out without looking at the traffic, which she did. I think i smoked around 20 ■■■■ in 15 minutes though, im really glad the truck had the under bumper spoiler on it, would hate to think how events would have turned out, luckily she escaped with a couple of bruises and a few scratches.

Just found this on a post elsewhere on here.

This is one we had on our fleet, sorry but its the only pic left of it in our office
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Just a quick update to say the Ford Cargo Fan Club is now open (early days still though. Any help would be great)

cargofanclub.proboards84.com/index.cgi

Thanks

Andy

Geezah:
Just a quick update to say the Ford Cargo Fan Club is now open (early days still though. Any help would be great)

Success with you FCFC from a dutch FCF.
Cheers
Renay

Can people send any Cargo Pictures to FordCargoClub@aol.co.uk with details such as where it was photographed, reg, and history you know, name of photographer. Anything is fine by me. Scappers or show pieces. Even if you see one as those dredded motorway side adverts (will blur the ad). I want to fill my site with them.

Thanks

Andy

Here’s one I found earlier today at the old Bobbingworth Landfill Site in Essex. It was obviously owned once by C A Blackwell but has been destickered. Dunno if it gets used still as there were some Seal sweepers there but it didn’t look too bad.

you (should) have e mail!!

Thanks Euromat and everyone for the pics.

Can i make a quick request. Anyone that has posted pics on here, can you e-mail me them at fordcargoclub@aol.co.uk and give me some info like Registration (if known), where/when the pic was taken, who owns the Cargo (if its not obvious), and your full name for credit. If you found a pic online can you send me a link to the site to my e-mail where i will try contact the owner to get permission to upload the pic/s.

Thanks

Andy

Geezah:
Thanks Euromat and everyone for the pics.

Can i make a quick request. Anyone that has posted pics on here, can you e-mail me them at fordcargoclub@aol.co.uk and give me some info like Registration (if known), where/when the pic was taken, who owns the Cargo (if its not obvious), and your full name for credit. If you found a pic online can you send me a link to the site to my e-mail where i will try contact the owner to get permission to upload the pic/s.

Thanks

Andy

i cant e mail the originals for some time as i wont be home, can you use the ones in this thread ok? i can probably sort the info you want if need be

yeah, thats fine. Can you find out if the blue tractor is still in use? Would make a great club vehicle if they were giving it away :slight_smile:

Andrew