No wonder people aren't becoming drivers

Approached a company recently about temp driving. I do a bit of freelance work and need a bit more. They were interested and prefer casuals over agency. They wanted to pay £7 an hour for class 1. No holiday pay and on the books only.

Why pay for a license and then earn 40p over minimum wage.

I declined. Real shame

Someone will no doubt take that rate!!! :unamused:

They won’t want agency because they would have to pay them another £3 much better to pay a driver direct

if they want to put you on the books , regardless if your on a zero hours contract or not , they need to pay holiday pay ,and offer a pension , , thats unless your self employed

Here’s the plan.
If someone posts a few details of these rip off merchants, We can all ring them with a whole load of questions, Then tell them where to get off.
They might get the message eventually. They won’t get the message if the majority keep saying yes to these rates.

kinda makes casual at Stobarts highly appealing at £9,50 a hour (mon-fri 0600-1800) least ya get holidays AND a pension and £2.50 an hour on top :slight_smile:

midlifetrucker:
Approached a company recently about temp driving. I do a bit of freelance work and need a bit more. They were interested and prefer casuals over agency. They wanted to pay £7 an hour for class 1. No holiday pay and on the books only.

I declined. Real shame

Not surprised they were interested at £7 an hour… It really is scandalous. Glad you turned them down, the cheeky ■■■■■.

The only thing worse than the rates some companies pay, is the moronic drivers that think that it’s perfectly OK to work for such rates. Declining this sort of money is the only correct answer.

Is it all about money? I don’t think so. Is it more the case that potential new drivers have more education/employment choices these days? Driving was seen as well paid when drivers lived in Council Houses, now they don’t. Who in their right mind at the age of 18 would choose to work in this Dickensian industry?

midlifetrucker:

I declined. Real shame

Is that legal?

redbob:

midlifetrucker:

I declined. Real shame

Is that legal?

nope

nick2008:

redbob:

midlifetrucker:

I declined. Real shame

Is that legal?

nope

+1, PAYE - through the books - must accrue holiday pay from the day you start.

if i hadn’t got my class 1 at 21 years old (23 years ago) there is no way in hell i would be paying the best part of 3 grand today to work all hours god sends for peanuts and no appreciation.

All the while people work for it and agencies it will only get worse

Out of curiosity, what area of the UK is that?

Sainsburys, up the road from me, pay more for shelf stackers and I don’t live in London.

Lincolnshire

Too much work. Too many foreigners I am afraid.

midlifetrucker:

where lincs… :unamused:

Ministry of Defence - Hereford HQ - 22 SAS
MT Driver
Job description
Carry out details as tasked by the details NCO.

• First and last parade vehicles.
  • Fault reporting.
  • Comply with MT Standing Orders.
  • Ensure the vehicles 1001A (work ticket) is filled in correctly.
  • Comply with all Health and Safety requirements.
  • Warn the Line Manager of any perceived hazard promptly for assessment of risk.
  • Ensure that all returns, claims and attendance records are completed on time and recorded on HRMS as required.
  • Ensure all loads and passengers are safely and securely loaded, transported and unloaded.
  • Assist with vehicle and plant servicing and maintenance.
  • Completion of other duties as directed by Line Manager commensurate with grade and task.

Cat D Licence is desirable.

£16,500 :open_mouth: thats £253 take home, live the dream !

midlifetrucker:

:question: :question: :question:

Ntsa. Supply and demand. If you think you’re worth a grand a week become a drug dealer. Some of the dross I encounter on a weekly basis isn’t worth a grand a month. Supply and demand dictates what we’re worth. Do I think I’m worth a grand a week? No. But I was 10 years ago :wink: