An offer I COULD refuse

So almost everyday I am told there is a shortage of drivers, drivers earning big bucks etc etc.

I`ve been with an agency for 6 months and they are excellent. Very fair, pay me on time, minimum 8 hours, enhanced weekend rate etc etc. Very good rates of pay.

They ran out of work last week so I thought I better get a plan B in place to keep the ££ flowing.

Drove 30 miles to register with another agency, did my multi choice tests, done all the paperwork. ID checks etc.

I want night work, class 1, 50 year old flexible don`t mind what I do. So I keep asking mateyboy " what have you got ? "

The bloke is a bit vague and then took me to meet the transport team. I repeat about night work only to be offered " I`ve got days all week next week, minimum 8 hours a day "

" what`s the rate ? "

" £10 per hour "

I bit my lip … £80 per day less paye and ni is circa £67 take home minus approx £6 to run my car to customer.

Came home and watched Minder / Tipping Point / The Chase. :smiley:

Cant help thinking companies are in the ■■■■ of their own making. Im ok for money and feel sorry that some folks may desperately need the £67 per day and be forced to take it … £8.37 per hour take home for taking £100,000 of kit and load down the road that could kill people if not handled properly NO THANKS

I did two days on agency when I left Stobart, thought I would just do a few days a week until I got my first pay slip. £90!!! I was in a class 1 for minimum wage, got home early one day and only received 5 hrs pay less a 45 min break!!! Never again, no wonder they keep constantly texting me. I didn’t bother asking the rate as I was just filling in a couple of days, expected at least a couple of hundred out of it. Just how many people fall for this but then continue.

£10 an hour is never going to make you rich - but TBH it’s reasonable money for a job that sees you sat on your arris most of the day listening to the radio etc.

As the usual answer is go stack shelves, go and do that.

Just don’t make it Tesco or Sainsburys who have both announced major restructures and redundancies this week…

Roymondo:
£10 an hour is never going to make you rich - but TBH it’s reasonable money for a job that sees you sat on your arris most of the day listening to the radio etc.

There is the sitting on your arse all day but still think £15/16eur p/h should be the bare minimum with the level of responsibility shouldered…

AndrewG:

Roymondo:

There is the sitting on your arse all day but still think £15/16eur p/h should be the bare minimum with the level of responsibility shouldered…

Aye. Doctors sit around a lot too. Bit of listening and talking. Write things down too, but only on little scraps of paper, not like books or owt. They can’t be worth as much as us can they?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

It’s people like you that make the situation worse ! :angry:

Franglais:

AndrewG:

Roymondo:

Aye. Doctors sit around a lot too. Bit of listening and talking. Write things down too, but only on little scraps of paper, not like books or owt. They can’t be worth as much as us can they?

Can’t write as neatly as most drivers, either.

AndrewG:

Roymondo:

Roymondo a very typical reply from a Lorry driver "Your time is valuable " ! It does not matter what you are doing or for how long ,At £10 an hour you have a lot of responsibility and risk.
This is why pays so low ,People under value there time and skills.
I agree with Andrew .

Franglais:

AndrewG:

Roymondo:

A radio or TV presenter sits on their ■■■ for just a couple of hours. And yaks a bit… And get paid enough to be able to pay someone else to run their off shore company that pays them minimum wage…

Hmmmmm

dodged600:
So almost everyday I am told there is a shortage of drivers, drivers earning big bucks etc etc.

I`ve been with an agency for 6 months and they are excellent. Very fair, pay me on time, minimum 8 hours, enhanced weekend rate etc etc. Very good rates of pay.

They ran out of work last week so I thought I better get a plan B in place to keep the ££ flowing.

Drove 30 miles to register with another agency, did my multi choice tests, done all the paperwork. ID checks etc.

I want night work, class 1, 50 year old flexible don`t mind what I do. So I keep asking mateyboy " what have you got ? "

The bloke is a bit vague and then took me to meet the transport team. I repeat about night work only to be offered " I`ve got days all week next week, minimum 8 hours a day "

" what`s the rate ? "

" £10 per hour "

I bit my lip … £80 per day less paye and ni is circa £67 take home minus approx £6 to run my car to customer.

Came home and watched Minder / Tipping Point / The Chase. :smiley:

Cant help thinking companies are in the [zb] of their own making. Im ok for money and feel sorry that some folks may desperately need the £67 per day and be forced to take it … £8.37 per hour take home for taking £100,000 of kit and load down the road that could kill people if not handled properly NO THANKS

I would have tbought that £10 per hour is about the going rate . You could just as easily kill someine in your car if not handled properly . Every time a company employs an agency driver the costs have to be be recovered from somewhere . £10 per hour is far from being the lowest pay rate in that type of work.

kcrussell25:

Just don’t make it Tesco or Sainsburys who have both announced major restructures and redundancies this week…

Certainly not a good idea for anyone who thinks that it offers the possibility of progressing to a better paid position within in the company by demonstrating their abilities. It is those very people who have put up with the crap at the lowest level of supervision who are the ones who have been ■■■■ upon.

One can predict that the chief bloodsuckers on the board will be expecting the shareholders to vote them a massive bonus at the end of the year on the back of this rather than showing them the door for their past failures.

One is supposed to know one’s place…sir. Doffs cap and gobs on the floor.

cav551:

kcrussell25:

Certainly not a good idea for anyone who thinks that it offers the possibility of progressing to a better paid position within in the company by demonstrating their abilities. It is those very people who have put up with the crap at the lowest level of supervision who are the ones who have been [zb] upon.

One can predict that the chief bloodsuckers on the board will be expecting the shareholders to vote them a massive bonus at the end of the year on the back of this rather than showing them the door for their past failures.

20 years ago it did. I started on the shop floor and 4 years later was a department manager. I had no desire to deal with the crap that was involved by going higher (as well as lacking the diplomatic skills). However across the last 5-10 years more and more became “our” responsibility rather than the companies without the corresponding increase in pay.

As you the board won’t go without and the increase in pay that the living wage is bringing about has to be paid for, so thanks for your service but here’s a colleague job for half the money take it or out the door. I’m pleased I got out of it last year

kcrussell25:

cav551:

kcrussell25:

Certainly not a good idea for anyone who thinks that it offers the possibility of progressing to a better paid position within in the company by demonstrating their abilities. It is those very people who have put up with the crap at the lowest level of supervision who are the ones who have been [zb] upon.

20 years ago it did. I started on the shop floor and 4 years later was a department manager. I had no desire to deal with the crap that was involved by going higher (as well as lacking the diplomatic skills). However across the last 5-10 years more and more became “our” responsibility rather than the companies without the corresponding increase in pay.

As you the board won’t go without and the increase in pay that the living wage is bringing about has to be paid for, so thanks for your service but here’s a colleague job for half the money take it or out the door. I’m pleased I got out of it last year

KC, am I right in thinking you were once a departmental manager?

Well, I was, and I refused to eat corporate bull s#it and listen to management speak. The arrogance I endured on a daily basis became the catalyst for me training as a driver.

Ironically, that was 20 years ago too!

Butcher:

kcrussell25:

cav551:

kcrussell25:

KC, am I right in thinking you were once a departmental manager?

Well, I was, and I refused to eat corporate bull s#it and listen to management speak. The arrogance I endured on a daily basis became the catalyst for me training as a driver.

Ironically, that was 20 years ago too!

Yes I was the night manager for 15 years which is probably the only reason I lasted so long as I didn’t spend all day with them. I got made redundant last year (was doing cartwheels out the office when they told me)

I had the delivery drivers (who were earning more than me) telling me for years to get my licence but didn’t get round to it for various reasons. Then last year I decided that I couldn’t stand it anymore so started my training. I now earn more money for a lot less stress and hassle. Hours are similar to what I did but now when I finish that’s it. No phone calls or emails to deal with. I get a please and thank you now as well.

Maybe driving isn’t what it was 20 years ago but neither is retail. I expect most other industries aren’t either. I am not saying that I will drive for the rest of my life but I am far happier than I have been for years

Roymondo:

You can do that on benefits though - that’s the problem.

No taxes, freebies galore, rent, poll tax, etc paid. The “Poverty Trap” is now earning between £17k and about £29k. It gets quite acute if you have kids and pass £26k as well.

I reckon the government should stop this £1500 for child minders ■■■■■■■■, and just pay the stay-at home mum that amount instead.

You can always get more money the thing you can’t get more of is time

Think of it as selling your time on earth for £10 per hour rather than your earning £10 per hour