No wonder people aren't becoming drivers

mac12:
They won’t want agency because they would have to pay them another £3 much better to pay a driver direct

My that’s cheap.
Agencies normally charge up to double the hourly rate they pay the driver!

bestbooties:

mac12:
They won’t want agency because they would have to pay them another £3 much better to pay a driver direct

My that’s cheap.

One of the one’s I work for charge 39% so £3.90 per £10 I think most are about the same.

bestbooties:

mac12:

My that’s cheap.

Sorry but that is complete and utter rubbish. And I speak from previous experience as both a TM and a recruitment consultant.

Admittedly I’ve been out of the game for over ten years, but my guess is that margins in the interim period have got smaller rather than bigger in line with business in general. Back when I was doing the job you’d be looking at charging £8.75 to pay £6, and that is gross margin not net; in other words you have to take into account the temp’s NI and holiday pay (although that was less back then) and also factor in all your office running costs. You’d also get less margin percentage-wise not more on overtime rates as very few clients accept the time-and-a-half increase on their charge rates and you have to meet them somewhere.

The rate also depends on how much business you do with them; as with anything else occasional spot hires are more expensive than long-term bookings.

Mac 12 isn’t far off the mark actually at a guess.

Rooster:
Ministry of Defence - Hereford HQ - 22 SAS
MT Driver

£16,500 :open_mouth: thats £253 take home, live the dream !

36hr week, £8.81/hr. And with all the typical public sector perks such as being able to take 6 months a year off sick on full pay and still accruing holiday pay whilst you are off.

And you get to see the boathouse doors…!

can see both arguments,

It seems that generally pay is no better than stacking shelves, the hours can be long/unsociable and you have to stump up 3k to get your licence, then ongoing costs of medicals and CPC, so why would anyone do it.

On the other hand there are companies who pay a decent rate once you’ve ‘served your time’.

I’ve offered to put my son through his training from car to C+E, he shouldn’t have any problems as he’s used to handling various tractor/machinery as well as securing loads. Trying to persuade him away from doing skitter boxes although he does have his livestock in transport tickets.

Well still struggling for a bit of extra work and have approached various local companies and I have to be honest it gets worse. One company I just spoke to wanted £6.70ph for sugar beet work. I can’t believe people are seriously working for that. Its no bloody wonder people are sat on benefits. I got my license 29 years ago and I just find it atrocious.

On a CPC course on Friday and one driver was saying he was on £7.10 ph and he made it up by sitting in a layby for three hours after delivery. I’d rather be at home for that money.

Its all too easy to blame agencies. At the end of the day they are supplying demand. The real culprits are the big companies that have no wish to run their own transport happy to work on a fixed cost to a haulier. In the roofing world they stopped you having subbies and you had to put people on the books if they worked a certain period of time for the same company. How come this hasnt been implemented in the driving world.

Someone has posted on here what does he expect to earn after getting his license. In the current climate I would say save your money mate.

midlifetrucker:
Lincolnshire

Pm the Co please

Im not naming names as I don’t want to bite my own backside. They are doing their job to their shareholders. At the end of the day we have done this to ourselves. The modern world run by accountants fuelled by greed.

An honest days pay for an honest days work. Even the Victorians built hospitals schools and public buildings. Modern day business people build yachts and rich lists. £300k a week for a footballer. £8m bonus for a banker. TV star 25m for a film. Ridiculous.

No money for nhs or schools or social services but always money for an enquiry when something goes wrong.

My son in law puts his neck on the line in Afghan for £20k a year, loses his summer holiday for the bloody Olympics because some company ■■■■■ up and then lives in a disused shopping centre on rations. No extra pay no holiday. No compensation. Seb and the gang did well didn’t they.

Politicians pretty much caught in effect stealing diesel, lots of diesel , they get a smack on wrist.

Progress my ar$e

Rant over. Nurse bring me my tablets

Sidevalve:

bestbooties:

mac12:

My that’s cheap.

Sorry but that is complete and utter rubbish. And I speak from previous experience as both a TM and a recruitment consultant.

Admittedly I’ve been out of the game for over ten years, but my guess is that margins in the interim period have got smaller rather than bigger in line with business in general. Back when I was doing the job you’d be looking at charging £8.75 to pay £6, and that is gross margin not net; in other words you have to take into account the temp’s NI and holiday pay (although that was less back then) and also factor in all your office running costs. You’d also get less margin percentage-wise not more on overtime rates as very few clients accept the time-and-a-half increase on their charge rates and you have to meet them somewhere.

The rate also depends on how much business you do with them; as with anything else occasional spot hires are more expensive than long-term bookings.

I agree, used to run an agency in late nineties and we charged flat rate £9 and payed £7 on some contracts plus £10 dark money per shift, and it was was about £8 / £6 for 8 hours then time and half. We also had to pay NI and holiday payout of that. I would be very surprised if an agency lasted long with 100% mark up, as it is a very cut throat business. Some of my drivers would have been undesirable to mostcompanies, but we usually found a home for them.

Have no complaints about my agency, if they add a few quid to cover their costs, so what, they’re the ones keeping me in shifts. They also fill holes in the companies staffing so they don’t have to carry spare drivers to cover sick/holidays/emergencies and a sort of try before you buy recruiting option.

Took a 6m sabatical last year (thought I’d retired :confused: ) found things getting tight so rang the agency up again and been working pretty much full-time at the same company since. Because of the break I was back down to 9.00/hr but once I’d been in there 12 weeks I was back on parity with the company drivers so 10.25/hr, think the next raise is June :grimacing:

Rooster:
MT Driver
Job description
Carry out details as tasked by the details NCO.

• First and last parade vehicles.
  • Fault reporting.
  • Comply with MT Standing Orders.
  • Ensure the vehicles 1001A (work ticket) is filled in correctly.
  • Comply with all Health and Safety requirements.
  • Warn the Line Manager of any perceived hazard promptly for assessment of risk.
  • Ensure that all returns, claims and attendance records are completed on time and recorded on HRMS as required.
  • Ensure all loads and passengers are safely and securely loaded, transported and unloaded.
  • Assist with vehicle and plant servicing and maintenance.
  • Completion of other duties as directed by Line Manager commensurate with grade and task.

Cat D Licence is desirable.

Yep but they all leaving and becoming pmc,s and earning nearly 3grand a month on a 3 month on 1 month off rotation and depending on what they are doing.

scotstrucker:

Rooster:
MT Driver
Job description
Carry out details as tasked by the details NCO.

• First and last parade vehicles.
  • Fault reporting.
  • Comply with MT Standing Orders.
  • Ensure the vehicles 1001A (work ticket) is filled in correctly.
  • Comply with all Health and Safety requirements.
  • Warn the Line Manager of any perceived hazard promptly for assessment of risk.
  • Ensure that all returns, claims and attendance records are completed on time and recorded on HRMS as required.
  • Ensure all loads and passengers are safely and securely loaded, transported and unloaded.
  • Assist with vehicle and plant servicing and maintenance.
  • Completion of other duties as directed by Line Manager commensurate with grade and task.

Cat D Licence is desirable.

Yep but they all leaving and becoming pmc,s and earning nearly 3grand a month on a 3 month on 1 month off rotation and depending on what they are doing.

What’s a pmc?

Private military contractor…

098Joe:

Sidevalve:

bestbooties:

mac12:

My that’s cheap.

I agree, used to run an agency in late nineties and we charged flat rate £9 and payed £7 on some contracts plus £10 dark money per shift, and it was was about £8 / £6 for 8 hours then time and half. We also had to pay NI and holiday payout of that. I would be very surprised if an agency lasted long with 100% mark up, as it is a very cut throat business. Some of my drivers would have been undesirable to mostcompanies, but we usually found a home for them.

:unamused: A bloody good argument to tell all agencies/parasites :imp: to ■■■■ OFF!.. and pay the driver direct a realistic and proper rate for the job, or am I talking too much common sense? :open_mouth:

Way I see it there is a need for

Full time company drivers salaried or fixed or zero hours contracts
Part time/casuals
Emergency or one off runs

Doesn’t make sense to employ a driver full time to cover sickness, holidays &etc., so that’s where the second 2 categories come in.

If you can and want to commit to regular part time/casual then go to the companies direct.

Some drivers are unable to commit to regular full/part time due to other commitments and don’t have the time/contacts to hunt round for work, THAT is where agencies come in.

chicane:

Part time/casuals

Doesn’t make sense to employ a driver full time to cover sickness, holidays &etc., so that’s where the second 2 categories come in.

If you can and want to commit to regular part time/casual then go to the companies direct.

Some drivers are unable to commit to regular full/part time due to other commitments and don’t have the time/contacts to hunt round for work, THAT is where agencies come in.

Yeh that’s a fair comment, but I would say that drivers in that category are in a minority, but agree that agencies and/or zero hours contracts would be suitable for them. Just look at how the system of agencies has grown over the years, it may even be 50/50 in a ratio of full time or agency, instead of how it was when agencies were in a small minority. How long before trends change to the point where agency employment becomes the majority. an alarming prospect for drivers. They were fine when they were on a basis where drivers hired out their services to them, but they have far to much power over drivers today, while creaming off what could be a decent pay rate to the driver.

robroy:

chicane:

Part time/casuals

Yeh that’s a fair comment, but I would say that drivers in that category are in a minority, but agree that agencies and/or zero hours contracts would be suitable for them. Just look at how the system of agencies has grown over the years, it may even be 50/50 in a ratio of full time or agency, instead of how it was when agencies were in a small minority. How long before trends change to the point where agency employment becomes the majority. an alarming prospect for drivers. They were fine when they were on a basis where drivers hired out their services to them, but they have far to much power over drivers today, while creaming off what could be a decent pay rate to the driver.

Agreed, I know some agency drivers who are single parents or carers for their partner, that sort of thing. In my own case my business is pretty much dead from mid October through to April which is handy for the pre-Christmas rush and helps with the cash flow. Through the summer I probably turn down 3 shifts out of 4, (basically if its ■■■■■■■ down I’m available :laughing: ) which I don’t think would go down well with a company.

After listening to people drivers, planners and agency bods I really think that things will pick for drivers after September. As an example the agency has 3 of us in regularly at one depot, the other 2 will be hanging up their keys in September. I’m not saying that kind of thing will be happening everywhere but a lot of the older company drivers say they’ll be doing the same and there simply isn’t enough folk coming into the job.