Newby Advice Needed

I’m kinda caught in about 10 minds how to proceed with my future lol…but i guess 1st thing is to get my Class2, does anyone have any experience of Hargreaves training in Yorkshire ? They have a base in Barnsley & Leeds and would be most local for me, also they sort medical, licence and induction etc as a package too. Then i’m thinking if i pass Class2 maybe join a local agency, try get 1 or 2 days a week in while i continue in my present job till im sure its what i want…

Which driver agencys should i avoid or join in s.yorkshire, theres no point joining any for the sake of it, i want the right 1 for me, not to fill the agencys books up.

Is there any particular sectors of the industry i should avoid ? eg tippers ? fridges ? etc…I suppose to start with i could do with a nice steady job to concentrate on driving, not loading etc…but i was also thinking it might be worth getting into a growing market ie recycling etc…which obviously will have a future even if were driven to it by Blair and his gang.

Anyway thanks for any answers in advance.

Hi tobytyke.
I passed my C+E last year with DAC training in Rotherham. I can recommend them although I see alot of Hargreaves training wagons going past my house as its on one of the Sheffield test routes. DAC were very competitive pricewise and I really can’t fault them, although the promise of work via their agency after passing never materialised. I have just registered with an agency in Sheffield and have been offered work several times since so I’ll let you know of any pitfalls if I encounter any.
Good Luck
C

Thanks Steelman, do u run out of stocksbridge ? i used to work there, daft thing is years ago when i was made redundant i could have had my Hgv paid for but chose another course instead.

Hi
I work in the steelworks but don’t drive for them… drivings my second job! Funnily enough I worked at Stocksbridge ( Outokumpu) until 2 years ago. I now work at Corus - Aldwarke (Rotherham).
I’m after a change though, permanently!
C

As promised tobytyke/ whoever…
I know how much I enjoy reading about peoples first runs and all their trials and tribulations! I got my first serious work through from agency this week on my days off. A night run from… Rotherham to Southampton!!! Loaded with flour, in an aging ERF. What a pig of a gearbox and then on the @Oxford bypass lost the range change and splitter. Lost 2 hours, repaired road side - faulty connecter under the gear lever. Had a return load too, in fact I think it was a load and a half. Was down to less than 30mph coming up the M3 out of Southampton. It took aaaaaages and involved I would say about 30,000 gearchanges! I ended up doing a 14 hour shift and was blitzed. When I got back to yard, shunter asked me to back it on to dock to be unloaded. I just looked at him in a totally defeated manner and he said " ok, I’ll do it!" Ace guy!
Next night I wasn’t as keen! Hadn’t had much kip and the phone rang. Local haulier who I know quite alot about. Destination unknown…
Reluctantly agreed and got an 05 Scania automatic. What a machine. Did Scunthorpe to Wigan Asda RDC. I would almost have done it free of charge. What a difference. Effortless, comfortable, powerful, enjoyable. And the traffic office staf were realy helpful too.
Oh well, back to work on my regular job tomorrow…
C

Cheers Steelman, you sound as lucky as me lol…i’m making a few enquirys with training providers now, the Scania LGV training looks good but i bet its pricey, good luck, which agency did u join ?

Hi again tobytyke…
Let me know how much the Scania people were quoting. I got my class c for about £750.00 a year ago. I think I had 18 hours training and fortunately passed first time. My C+E cost about the same but I failed first test so it cost me another £300 to retest as I had a couple of hours more training to be sure. All in all it cost me about £2000 (medical, theory test etc) for the complete course.
C

Is there any particular sectors of the industry i should avoid ? eg tippers ? fridges ? etc…I suppose to start with i could do with a nice steady job to concentrate on driving, not loading etc…but i was also thinking it might be worth getting into a growing market ie recycling etc…which obviously will have a future even if were driven to it by Blair and his gang.

Whilst you’re still a Newbie, none. You need to be prepared to do anything and everything, no matter how dire, in order to get that crucial two years of experience under your belt. Only then will you be in a position to start picking and choosing.

Sorry, but that’s the way it is. You’re at the bottom of the ladder and have to work your way up. :wink:

steelman1828:
Hi again tobytyke…
Let me know how much the Scania people were quoting. I got my class c for about £750.00 a year ago. I think I had 18 hours training and fortunately passed first time. My C+E cost about the same but I failed first test so it cost me another £300 to retest as I had a couple of hours more training to be sure. All in all it cost me about £2000 (medical, theory test etc) for the complete course.
C

hi mate, not heard from Scania yet but Hargreaves of Barnsley sent me their details as follows :-

5 days cat c plus test - £893.88
5 days cat c+e plus test - £946.75

retests and refresher £250

lgv starter pack inc medical, provisional, and assessment - £80

Hargreaves also do an 8 day CPC course - £570 , is that the going rate anyone ?

ADR 3 day course £265 too.

Give these folks a ring. Good results. at a reasonable rate.

Dave Shimeld:
http://www.hgvtraining.net/

Give these folks a ring. Good results. at a reasonable rate.

Bit more pricier than Hargreaves mate and slightly further to travel every day too.

Ey up.
Give DAC a ring even if just to compare prices. Keep posting to let us know how you get along. If you get to the point where you want some contact with a local agency, send me a email and I’ll talk to the one I’m with or I might have picked up on some other company etc. by then.
Good luck in the meantime.
C

Recieved an info pack from Scania driver Experience today :-

Current special offers:-

Cat C 5 day - £787 plus vat + £89 test.

cat C+E £883 plus vat + £89 test.

Starter plus package inc Cat C + C+E is £1547+vat plus the 2 test fees £178.

I’m not sure how long the offers on but the normal prices are on average £150 higher.

Well i finally decided to train with Scania experience in Sheffield, given the price is similiar too local firms i thought the Scania name may carry a bit more weight when it comes to applying to agencys etc…i visited Scania sheffield yesterday who loaned me Dvds & theory books, i have my medical on May 2nd so hopefully i’ll be training sometime in June :laughing:

tobytyke 25th march 2007:
please bare with me by helping me with this scenario if you can spare the time. If i was to become an owner driver but operate under my friends business can some one answer these questions.

type of business - hauling logs (30 tonne loads).

I quite like the look of the Volvo Fm9 artics, but are they any good or should i consider the fh 12 ? FM9 was 420 bhp, is that adequate for the job ? I’m guessing it would be muddy, off road work etc too sometimes too. also the fm9 is low roof, i’m thinking a topliner etc is no good for going into forests etc

If anyone can recommend another decent reliable truck suited to the work go ahead please. my mate is just getting rid of a foden for a new scania incidentally.

Presuming it is ok how much would i expect to pay for a used FM9 ? how much per month would a lease be ? which type of lease are best ? What kind of used mileage is still reasonable ? Under 400000km? i’d prefer something new enough to have an additional R & M scheme aded etc if possible for piece of mind.
My friend said i can lease a trailor for £150 a week, should i buy my own ?

how much would road tax be on an artic ? My friend has a crane on his trailor so he doesn’t have loading & unloading problems, he said if i ran a lorry with him he would load & unload me at £1.50 a tonne too.

who would be best to get a fuel account with ? also tyres etc ?

Can anyone who has been in a similiar situation advise how they did it to get off the ground ? Ie did you remortgage your house etc against the business to raise capitol etc…

Thanks in advance if you can help. :arrow_right: :sunglasses:

Im confused…why are you asking all this one minute and then some thing else the next…it seems like you really dont know what you want out of this trade and i think that maybe your gonna be in for a bit of a shock if and when you ever get here …still… good luck in whatever you decide to do

tobytyke:
Recieved an info pack from Scania driver Experience today :-

Current special offers:-

Cat C 5 day - £787 plus vat + £89 test.

cat C+E £883 plus vat + £89 test.

Starter plus package inc Cat C + C+E is £1547+vat plus the 2 test fees £178.

I’m not sure how long the offers on but the normal prices are on average £150 higher.

there is no way on earth i would pay them prices…add on to that digicard and this new drivers cpc costs how the hell can people justify these costs when your only realistically going to be able to earn between £5 to £8 per hr and trust me for a newbie its gonna be nearer the lower number than the higher one

Reef:

tobytyke 25th march 2007:
please bare with me by helping me with this scenario if you can spare the time. If i was to become an owner driver but operate under my friends business can some one answer these questions.

type of business - hauling logs (30 tonne loads).

I quite like the look of the Volvo Fm9 artics, but are they any good or should i consider the fh 12 ? FM9 was 420 bhp, is that adequate for the job ? I’m guessing it would be muddy, off road work etc too sometimes too. also the fm9 is low roof, i’m thinking a topliner etc is no good for going into forests etc

If anyone can recommend another decent reliable truck suited to the work go ahead please. my mate is just getting rid of a foden for a new scania incidentally.

Presuming it is ok how much would i expect to pay for a used FM9 ? how much per month would a lease be ? which type of lease are best ? What kind of used mileage is still reasonable ? Under 400000km? i’d prefer something new enough to have an additional R & M scheme aded etc if possible for piece of mind.
My friend said i can lease a trailor for £150 a week, should i buy my own ?

how much would road tax be on an artic ? My friend has a crane on his trailor so he doesn’t have loading & unloading problems, he said if i ran a lorry with him he would load & unload me at £1.50 a tonne too.

who would be best to get a fuel account with ? also tyres etc ?

Can anyone who has been in a similiar situation advise how they did it to get off the ground ? Ie did you remortgage your house etc against the business to raise capitol etc…

Thanks in advance if you can help. :arrow_right: :sunglasses:

Im confused…why are you asking all this one minute and then some thing else the next…it seems like you really dont know what you want out of this trade and i think that maybe your gonna be in for a bit of a shock if and when you ever get here …still… good luck in whatever you decide to do

So whats this forum for then Reef ? Is it not for newbys to ask questions & gain knowledge ? And besides being prepared for a few shocks i’m prepared to work hard & take pride in doing a job right whatever industry i’m in.

Reef:
there is no way on earth i would pay them prices…add on to that digicard and this new drivers cpc costs how the hell can people justify these costs when your only realistically going to be able to earn between £5 to £8 per hr and trust me for a newbie its gonna be nearer the lower number than the higher one

Was it 15 years ago that you did your training?

LGV training prices are absurd right now, and even the more expensive courses from the bigger names are using 2-1 instruction. The cheapest courses i’ve seen so far are about £650 inc test, again 2-1. Unless your prepared to ditch your job and claim benefits just to get the free training then it’s gonna cost.

And £5ph for class1/2…? You could walk into an agency and get 3.5tonne work for £6-6.50 ph all day long.

Got my provisional last week, been too Scania today in Sheffield too collect the new theory Dvd - booked my driver assessment for this Thursday pm, and my theory test on June 12th - then i’m away, could possibly start Class C on the 18th June if i pass.

Heres a couple of pics of the training vehicles at Sheffield.