Newby Advice Needed

Well i went out on a 2 hr assessment drive today in & around Sheffield. I’ll say it now, i shall never call a truck driver again :blush: I struggled a bit with the hi lo gearbox as it was totally new to me, kept wanting to take my eyes off road and look at gear lever lol…Also found it hard too stay within speed limits, especially on dual carriageways at 40mph, anyway all in all its fair to say i could have done better i think looking back, roll on the 1st proper lesson.

That’s probably because the speed limit on dual carriageways is 50mph :stuck_out_tongue: (unless it’s signposted otherwise ofcourse).

My only main obstacle on the first few hours was getting to grips with the range changer, but as soon as I found a method that worked it all came together pretty quickly.

Pull away in 3rd, then when you go to change up, flick to hi place your hand on the right side of the stick and just gently push the stick away from you in a ‘U’ shape to go into 5th gear. That gives enough time for the air switch to go and was the best method of me finding 5th without touching reverse at all and making grinding noises. Same metho goes for changing from 4th to 5th, the position of my hand on the stick made all the difference. My assement instructor suggested i flick the switch for the next range after i shift in readiness, but I found that confusing so just flicked it before i’d go to shift Switch is down, low, switch is up, high.

I still got a bit scrambled when I was in one of those hectic situations trying to position the truck, do something quickly and change gear all at the same time but again it all comes together fairly quickly after a few hours training. Also coming up to roundabout and junctions, i’m sure your instructor was drilling it into (he certainly was me), slow down well before the junction and get into a gear you can carry on with before the give way and then if a car comes round or whatever then you can stop and shift down to low gears, if it doesn’t you can carry on without stopping nice and smoothly. My problem was I was plouging up to roundabouts, braking and trying to change gear all at the last minute like I do in the car/van and in doing so was making a right hash of the gear selection and timing my exit from the junction.

Kiowan:
Pull away in 3rd, then when you go to change up, flick to hi place your hand on the right side of the stick and just gently push the stick away from you in a ‘U’ shape to go into 5th gear. That gives enough time for the air switch to go and was the best method of me finding 5th without touching reverse at all and making grinding noises. Same metho goes for changing from 4th to 5th, the position of my hand on the stick made all the difference. My assement instructor suggested i flick the switch for the next range after i shift in readiness, but I found that confusing so just flicked it before i’d go to shift Switch is down, low, switch is up, high.

It’s mostly just a case of having a quick pause in neutral to let the range change catch up. You need to learn to take your time on the gear changes and not rush it.

Kiowan:
I still got a bit scrambled when I was in one of those hectic situations trying to position the truck, do something quickly and change gear all at the same time but again it all comes together fairly quickly after a few hours training. Also coming up to roundabout and junctions, i’m sure your instructor was drilling it into (he certainly was me), slow down well before the junction and get into a gear you can carry on with before the give way and then if a car comes round or whatever then you can stop and shift down to low gears, if it doesn’t you can carry on without stopping nice and smoothly. My problem was I was plouging up to roundabouts, braking and trying to change gear all at the last minute like I do in the car/van and in doing so was making a right hash of the gear selection and timing my exit from the junction.

I think pretty much everyone has this problem, where things go wrong because you rush into junctions/roundabouts, try to do everything at the last minute, and end up messing it up. The instructor will have seen this many times before, and so should be experienced in getting you to slow down early enough to get everything done.

Sorry Kio it was a single carriageway bypass but a national speed limit so 40 didnt seem adequate for the road, and yea basically i went into it with a car driver mentality wanting to drive a truck same, like instructor said, everyones the same at 1st.

PS - My digi tacho card arrived today too, only sent it last Friday :sunglasses:

tobytyke:
…If i was to become an owner driver but operate under my friends business…

Not wishing to add wet stuff to your bonfire, have you considered:

The hypothetical idea of you operating under “friend’s” business is totally illegal in reality. My advice is that you shouldn’t even consider the idea any further. Some people do get themselves involved in this type of idea, but almost invariably get caught. For those not yet caught, I’d say that it’s just a question of time. Before you comment on what’s below, please note that all points have a question mark at the end. My intent is that you shouldn’t view them as criticisms, but as questions for you to consider in your own interest. I don’t need the answers, but I do suggest that you do.

Proceeding hypothetically, there are a large number of things that would have to “look” right, if your hypothetical business model came to the attention of VOSA, and ultimately, the Traffic Commissioner.

How would you/your “friend” demonstrate that an employer/employee relationship exists?

Whose name would be on the V5 for “your” truck?

Whose “O” licence identity disc would be displayed in the windscreen?

Does your “friend” have sufficient margin on the “O” licence to add a vehicle/trailer?

Does your “friend” have sufficient off-street parking?

Would the maintenance arrangements/facilities be considered adequate for the increased number of trucks specified on the “O” licence?

Apart from the payments for the truck, do you/ your “friend” have the legally required and readily available finance to add the vehicle to the “O” licence?

If you and your “friend” were to fall out for any reason, where would that leave you? (Worst case scenario: Impounded truck, no “O” licence, no work, but impound fees, fines, bills and finance repayments that would all have to be met.)

Is this your idea? or is this your “friend’s” idea? It is important for you to consider any possible consequences, however unlikely at this stage, if your “friend” is holding too many cards.

Do you honestly think that you’d be equipped for driving in a forest with 30,000 Kgs on board, just after passing your test on a road in an unladen vehicle? (Ask the Scania people about this.)

Does the nominated CPC holder for the “O” licence know about your/your “friend’s” idea? (Not relevant IF your “friend” is the CPC holder.)

My purpose here is to give you some questions that you might consider. After you’ve considered those, and hopefully taken unbiased professional advice, you might come to an informed decision on whether to proceed any further.

The above are just a few ideas that occurred to me. The questions are not in any particular order and don’t cover all possibilities. However, the answer to each and every question could have serious ramifications for your proposed new business. I’ll make you just one suggestion: Ensure that you have satisfied yourself as to AT LEAST the above, before going anywhere near any kind of financial institution.

Other people have already made some excellent suggestions about the viability and potential pitfalls of your hypothetical situation. I haven’t been “sarky,” because that would be unhelpful. I’d also offer this piece of advice: the comments might not necessarily be intended to be sarcastic. I’d also say that, if you could see past the joke/ “sarky,” you’d see that what’s written is actually true. From your comments to that, do you think it possible that you’re not aware of the “lingo” and the legalities involved in transport?

I have to say that Reef’s analogy with the airline business is quite correct, if you think about it. I’d go a bit further in a constructive way and ask you this: In your hypothetical situation, do you honestly think that you’d be speaking the same language as any officials who speak to you? More to the point, do you think that, given your knowledge of the industry, they’d be satisfied with your answers to their questions? If you hadn’t considered AT LEAST the above and learned the language of transport, and you were then spot-checked, you’d be heading home in a taxi. The reason is that your truck would be impounded there and then. I’m afraid that it wouldn’t end at that point, because your friend would also lose his/her “O” licence and his/her repute.

Dave your discussing old news mate - i’ve moved on, but im using this thread now as ongoing diary rather than start a new one for every stage of my learning.

tobytyke:
Dave your discussing old news mate - i’ve moved on, but im using this thread now as ongoing diary rather than start a new one for every stage of my learning.

To be fair, I’m not sure how Dave is supposed to know you’ve moved on? :confused:

Also, if you ever did think of going down that route again, all you would have to do is follow his advice because it seems on the money to me.

Moving on, what are you doing now if this idea has been consigned to the scrapheap?

hammer:

tobytyke:

To be fair, I’m not sure how Dave is supposed to know you’ve moved on? :confused:

Also, if you ever did think of going down that route again, all you would have to do is follow his advice because it seems on the money to me.

Moving on, what are you doing now if this idea has been consigned to the scrapheap?

Thanks for that hammer.

When composing my contribution to this topic, I got the idea that I’d seen something like it before. I have to agree and say that I hadn’t realised that tobytyke had “moved on.” Perhaps if tobytyke had phoned me as he said he would, I could have covered the topic for him. Then maybe I wouldn’t have wasted my time trying to give a constructive answer that contained no sarcasm.

Dave i was under the impression you wanted a word about ADR training ? Which i said in PM i had put on the backburner until i passed my C+E - as people had previously commented weeks ago on the other thread the previous idea was a NO NO - so why would anyone presume that i was still looking at that route ? As for what is my plan now ? If i pass i guess it will have to be the agency route, or unless i’m fortunate to drop on a reasonable job to gain experience.

So in essence im sorry for wasting your time Dave by not clarifying the thread.