Another Newbie here

Hello All,

Long time reader 1st time poster.

Bit of info about where I am on my journey to get my Class C licence. I have passed my theory and mod 2 CPC and I have booked a weeks course with a local test centre to start 29th of June. Test will be Friday 3rd July!!

Few questions that I hope you can help me with:

1. Working hours. Are they really strict? I hear some stories of people being a few miles from Base but have to stop due to running out of driving time. Is there really no ‘grey area’ and once your time is up you have to stop!?

2. Anyone got any good contacts for jobs in the Sheffield/south Yorkshire area? Might be jumping the gun a bit and hope I’m not jinxin myself but hopefully I will pass so no harm in getting a foot/toe in the door early. Read on here some stories of how hard it can be to get work as a newbie!

3. Anyone on here used or heard any reviews of Tal Training in Handsworth sheffield?

4. I’ve read some negative posts on here about how the industry has changed for the worse. Is it really that bad?! What’s changed? Is it just more regulated now with strict regulations so compared to 10 years ago it has changed but for a newbie who doesn’t know what it was like surly it’s still a great industry to get involved in.

Very greatful for any response I get and for any advise I receive.

Thanks
TT

1. Working hours. Are they really strict? I hear some stories of people being a few miles from Base but have to stop due to running out of driving time. Is there really no ‘grey area’ and once your time is up you have to stop!? You must stop if “out of hours” unless exceptional circumstances. But this doesn’t include wanting to get home cos it’s Friday night.

2. Anyone got any good contacts for jobs in the Sheffield/south Yorkshire area? Might be jumping the gun a bit and hope I’m not jinxin myself but hopefully I will pass so no harm in getting a foot/toe in the door early. Read on here some stories of how hard it can be to get work as a newbie! If you have CE then Sports Direct is a good start. They are near junc 29.

3. Anyone on here used or heard any reviews of Tal Training in Handsworth sheffield? Not getting involved with that one.

4. I’ve read some negative posts on here about how the industry has changed for the worse. Is it really that bad?! What’s changed? Is it just more regulated now with strict regulations so compared to 10 years ago it has changed but for a newbie who doesn’t know what it was like surly it’s still a great industry to get involved in. It’s not for everyone. Telematics are possibly the biggest change which has allowed people who have never done the job to run the traffic office. It’s also stopped skiving. I still believe it’s a great industry but you must be prepared to work long and hard and do crap jobs to start with - but this isn’t always the case. The trucks now are better than they’ve ever been. Folks say the pay hasn’t kept up. That varies enormously.

Hopefully you’ve had a few assessments to see the differences between trainers. This is always good advice.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Yes treeon
The hours ARE very important and they are taken VERY seriously by all (99.8%)

Companies will sack you if YOU don’t take them SERIOUSLY too.
The Police, Vosa etc will dole out SERIOUS fines if you fail to take the regulations SERIOUSLY.
you get the picture lol.

The tacho/drivers hours laws are a driver’s bread and butter, something he must pay serious attention to in his daily employ.

As for bad stories about trucking, well.
No occupation is perfect so ppl will moan. Transport always means long hours and and it is not family/social life friendly with semi spartan conditions for a lot of drivers.

I’ve been at it for 16 yrs and once the novelty factor wore off it started to become a ■■■■■ bore.
However it is not the worse job out there is it?

Ateotd try it and make your own mind up.

Everything bach says. Tal training was slatted by my instructors. But that could be because of the type of trucks they use. If u can drive in Sheffield. U can drive anywhere. 7 years after passing my test,I still hate the place. Driverhire looked after me in Doncaster. I forget her name but she moved to the Sheffield office last I heard. Good luck with your test.

There is ’ novelty ’ value with most things. I’ve always been interested in trucks since a boy when I used to go out with my Dad. I cant honestly say it was a burning ambition, but after ■■■■■■■ about at school and doing a huge variety of jobs over the last 25 years, I sort of ’ fell into ’ trucking.
I have to say though, I take a great deal of pride in driving as well as I can, and I enjoy the crack with other truckers. Lots of people on here slate the job, but funnily enough, few pack it in!! ( apart from the lucky retiree’s!).

It sounds a bit of a cliché, but the job really is what you make of it IMO.

I did my class 2 with Tal training, found them alright. sorted everything out with medical etc and passed first time. Has for the industry I passed in September 2013. Got a job within a month, now on my second job on £11ph so been good for me to be fair.

moneymonsta29:
I did my class 2 with Tal training, found them alright. sorted everything out with medical etc and passed first time. Has for the industry I passed in September 2013. Got a job within a month, now on my second job on £11ph so been good for me to be fair.

is that £11 p/h on class 2■■ jjust curious :smiley:

thanks

Ye class 2, cash and carry work in a 18t boxsider.

Thanks for the comments.

The question about the hours was because I see and hear a lot of people saying the days are long etc but if the driving hours are set to 9per day or 10hrs twice a week how can they be long days of 15hrs etc? Or is that when “driving hours” and “working hours” differ?

Just on the countdown now looking forward to starting the training. These few days are gonna drag.

Any advise for the up and coming days leading upto the test/training. Is there anything I should be trying to do while driving my car for example?

Thanks again
TT

So this is my last day in the office before I start my training next week. Excited, Nervous but looking forward to it. Hopefully all goes well and will have passed by this time in 7 days!!

Got my CPC mod 4 on Tues, been watching the videos on YouTube and as long as I keep calm and dont rush through it I should be ok with that one - I hope.

Just want to get started now after the long wait, seems ages ago now since I decided to go for this and booked my medical.

Heres to hoping that traffic is kind at the dreaded roundabouts and that there are no BMW or Audi drivers on my route :wink:

Thanks
TT

Good luck with training and test, enjoy it :smiley:

Moonpigdan:
Good luck with training and test, enjoy it :smiley:

Cheers Matey - Will do

All the best with it; hope it goes well.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Although you can only ’ drive ’ for 9 or 10 hours, don’t forget you have to load and/or unload, vehicle checks, fuel up etc.

Peter Smythe:
All the best with it; hope it goes well.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers Pete. :smiley:

eagerbeaver:
Although you can only ’ drive ’ for 9 or 10 hours, don’t forget you have to load and/or unload, vehicle checks, fuel up etc.

Ah, Course you do. I take it this when the hand ball jobs can be real ball busters. Harder work and potentially really longer hours with less driving involved.

Guessing, as a noob, I’ll have plenty of that to look forward too… :wink: All good experience what ever 1st job I get.

TT