Newbie member, couple of questions

Evening all, I’ve just joined as I’ve been driving for a few months now and am trying to get a bit of advice on my next step.

I did my Class 2, CPC and Class 1 earlier in the year and have been doing Class 2 with an agency since March. I enjoy the work, I like the variety of jobs and different companies I get to to drive for through the agency but cannot get any Class 1 work (apparently companies who use agency drivers don’t like taking risks with newly qualified Class 1 guys). Also the pay isn’t that good and I need to earn more to pay my bills.
So where do I go now? I am going to start looking around at what permanent jobs are going in my area and would like to know which companies people thing are better than others to work for, or maybe more importantly who I should avoid.
I’m in Grimsby but will travel within reason to drive for the right company, so does anyone have any useful ideas as to who I should be talking to?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Do class 2 agency work for a firm that runs both classes, once you get known/trusted, ask to do a class 1 drivers shift for them, with them in the passenger seat. Yes you will be working for free, but it takes the pressure off…

Or, stop limping and apply for perm jobs! :smiley:

I agree with Evil, I have recently got a HIAB certificate and now found an agency who gave me a weeks training with a star driver. I think they’re paying me 40 hrs for that week but will probably be asked to sign a contract with them for 6 months. I don’t mind that, I’m setting up my own Ltd company and they’ll train me on other certificates and maybe pay a Class 1 test (I’ve done training already) and give me lots of work. But going Ltd will make the biggest difference.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Hi mate, welcome to the forum.

Which agency are you working for in Grimsby?

Cheers guys, I did think about becoming a Limited company but have been advised that a sole trader is the better way to go - that’s from a tax accountant that I went to see - but the agency I’m with will only take me on as a Ltd Co which according to the accountant is not financially viable as I’m not getting paid enough with the agency.
Anyway, going to have a look around at some of the bigger companies around here and see who’s taking on - the way I see it I’m not going to get much, if any, Class 1 work with the agency so maybe make the break now and get proper pay for proper work.
I’ll let you know if anything interesting develops.

Hello mate,

Not sure which agency you’re with now but I’ve done work for JH Solutions and Tower. Both run by good, straight down the line blokes. Do most for JH Solutions now as their rates are slightly better.

Give them a ring and sign up. Prove yourself on Class 2 with DFDS or HandTrans and as soon as they’re short on Class 1 you’ll 100% get the chance…don’t mess up and you’ll get regular work on Class 1.

If you want direct employment get down to BenHaul/Exceed on Osborne Rd Stallingborough and speak to them. They sent me straight out on Class 1 a week after I passed. Good varied work and you’ll get bags of experience.

Good Luck

Thanks Ako, I’ve seen the signs outside Handtrans and thought they could be worth a shout so I think I’ll call them tomorrow and see what’s what.
I’m not with that agency, but to be honest the guys I’m with are spot on as far as getting work goes - easy going and straight up but I’ve been waiting 2 months for some Class 1 now so it’s time to sort it out for myself.
I’ll post up again when I get some progress.

I’ve not worked for them but have heard HandTrans pay very poorly for a lot of hours.

Immingham Transport are always looking for drivers. I worked there for a short time and they pay £405 top line for 5 “full” days work. 5 full days equates to around 65 hours a week. HandTrans are pretty much the same.

Hi Goshow, that’s not brilliant pay is it but at the moment I’m on about £9 an hour. Sorry I didn’t answer before - I’m with Driver Hire and I’ve been happy with them so far, they get me plenty of work and they’re good guys.
I’ve had a poke around on the Web and a lot of the vacancies are being published through agencies so the search continues.

Who are you on for now Goshow?