newbie here,,

first of all i would like to thankyou all for this godsend of a site, up until now all i have had is various internet adds (that are mentioned on here quite a lot) and friends advice for what i should do.

i am adamant that i want to go through the tests, as after years and years of thinking and other jobs its the only thing i want,

at the moment i am awaiting a payment for a personal injury claim which should hopefully cover the price of the tests that i want to take but as of yet i havent been able to get a reliable price from anyone in my area…

i am 25 years old and want to work my way up to full articulated license, but at the moment only have full car so will have to take rigid aswell.
i live in redditch by the way, any help you guys can offer is greatly appreciated

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome mikey-t :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
Newbies - Jobs, Agencies & EXPERIENCE & Is the UK short of drivers ? & Was it really worth it?

How to post Pics, avatars, using quotes, Driver CPC forum & Tacho & WTD regs forum

mikey-t:
at the moment i am awaiting a payment for a personal injury claim which should hopefully cover the price of the tests that i want to take but as of yet i havent been able to get a reliable price from anyone in my area…

I would say that a fund of £3,000 would be needed for the lot with about £1,600 for C if first time pass then £1,000 for CE with the extra £400 just in case of a retest or two.

The GUESSTIMATE figure of £1,600 would be for everything except any retest - that hopefully will not be required :slight_smile:

The reason that many LGV training schools might not be able to give you an exact price is that the new INITIAL driver CPC is about to start from 10 Sept and the logistics for it have not been ironed out.
The DSA are not making things easy for LGV schools to plan for this.

ok thanks for the advice all, this new scheme thats coming out would this be compulsory to take during tests or could it be taken once you have gained a license and got a bit of experience

mikey-t:
ok thanks for the advice all, this new scheme thats coming out would this be compulsory to take during tests or could it be taken once you have gained a license and got a bit of experience

Simply put - you could just take modules 1 and 3 to get the licence BUT BUT BUT without taking the two new INITIAL Driver CPC modules, 2 & 4, you cannot be PAID to be a LGV driver.

not exactly ideal, oh well i know i will have the money to cover it , my only problem is the time scale, being unemployed at the moment isnt helping, i will have to see if i can get some van driving work or anything else until i can get some licenses under my belt, thanks again

Multi drop van driving is a great way of starting as it teaches you how to find addresses, plan routes etc so don’t knock it :smiley:

It will also give you the opportunity to improve your own general driving as many that start LGV courses need theirs improving before doing anything else - what a waste of the first day or two on training that is !!!

Try the job-centre they might help you with the cost of training.you might have to badger them a bit ,just remember you have nowt to lose.

i tried them not 6 months ago when i was last unemployed, they told me to get any aide in the way of funding for lgv etc i would have to be signed on for 7 months, and in the time i was out of work they couldnt even cover my rent never mind bills etc, so i am aiming at getting straight back into work ,

on paper its a brilliant idea in reality , i would be better off working in a bar or delivering avons until i get my payout, anyone need a van driver near redditch,?

Things dont change then. I was unemployed 15 years ago ,there was a scheme called NEWDEAL but you had to be unemployed for 6 months to get anything from it.Why when a person is willing to work cant he get help straight away.

hi,

I’ve recently been made redundant after 19 years.
As soon as I made my jobseekers claim ( 40 mins bloody phonecall ) I was given an appointment
at the jobcentre the next day. The girl that was dealing with my claim asked if I wanted any training
and called up a page on the screen. On offer was LGV, PCV , Forklift and loads of other stuff. I opted
for LGV as I had already applied for both Cat C & D provisional. Basically they farm you out to a local company
for 12 weeks training/experience then test. The PCV is the same deal with the local bus gararge.
I’m located in Greenock, Scotland and all this was available to mean on first visit to jobcentre in 20 years.

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome big john :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
Newbies - Jobs, Agencies & EXPERIENCE & Is the UK short of drivers ? & Was it really worth it?

How to post Pics, avatars, using quotes, Driver CPC forum & Tacho & WTD regs forum

big john:
all this was available to mean on first visit to jobcentre in 20 years

We use [ZB] on this site instead of swearing…
You lucky [ZB] [ZB] [ZB] [ZB] [ZB] [ZB] [ZB] [ZB] [ZB] [ZB] X about a million…

Seriously, good for you :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

big john:
they farm you out to a local company

Who did you get ‘farmed out’ to :question:

Welcome !!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
How long have you had your car licence for?

Thanks for welcome,

I’m still waiting to find where I’ll be farmed out for LGV, she said it takes a couple of weeks to sort out.

As for car licence I’ve had that for about 16 years ( still clean :smiley: )

a bit longer than me , i got my car license in 2002…

mikey-t:
a bit longer than me , i got my car license in 2002…

hi m8,

check jobcentre again, when I was offered training ( this month ) she said we currently
have LGV training available. It’s not available all the time, also ask about PCV.

Perhaps if Mikey were to print of this page and take it with him to the J.C. he would get some co-operation.Some of the employees are ZB, intent on saving the Queens money and not concerned with the needs of their clients.

thanks for the idea i will, but i think its more to do with goverment allowances and availability of courses, or there being cheap,

Including my theory tests, passing class C and C+E first time it cost me about £2250… Saying that if i passed both tests 2nd time then it would be closer to £3000!!!

My class C was done at L&T in Ponti, my C+E was done at Tockwith.

philmots:
if i passed both tests 2nd time then it would be closer to £3000!!!

Perhaps, with the extra cost of THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC and the possibility of retests, I ought to revise my thinking on the amount someone should have ready to £3,500.00 if going for C & C+E :question: