HGV LICENCE Help Please!

Evening all! I know nothing is free in this day and age but im just wondering if anyone knows of any courses or companies that are willing to put people through there test at a reduced price or such like. I’ve recently been laid off work after a couple of years, I turn 21 in two weeks and i’m desperate to get my licence under my belt!

Any help/advice would be hugely appreciated!
Thanks all!
Dave.

Unfortunately no, more chance of platting fog :frowning:

some times job center will pay for you to do your c but think it depends on area and if you can prove there is a chance of a job at the end of it

Check what your local job market is like for newly qualified LGV drivers before you commit

ROG:
Check what your local job market is like for newly qualified LGV drivers before you commit

Why? Plenty of us newbies have got jobs driving artics/rigids so why make that comment?

damion.p:

ROG:

Why? Plenty of us newbies have got jobs driving artics/rigids so why make that comment?

But not all

What if where he lives there are loads of experienced drivers out of work and no jobs being advertised ?

Should he then pay out loads of money with the intention of sitting on the licence until the job situation improves however long that is?

91Dave:
Evening all! I know nothing is free in this day and age but im just wondering if anyone knows of any courses or companies that are willing to put people through there test at a reduced price or such like. I’ve recently been laid off work after a couple of years, I turn 21 in two weeks and i’m desperate to get my licence under my belt!

Any help/advice would be hugely appreciated!
Thanks all!
Dave.

if you have been made redundant see what they can offer you 1st as sometimes there are people there that can help with funding etc it has been done in this area

As not many companies will put you through as there is a lack of money for training etc

But good luck soz I dont have a crystal ball to see where you are to help a bit more

damion.p:

ROG:

Damion,

The job market is very patchy, and so it’s going to depend on geography and local circumstances such as has been mentioned by ROG.

Nobody can assume that, just because some/a few newbies struck lucky, the luck will extend equally all over the country. I think it’s fair to suggest that a person pauses, does some research and takes stock before making the large financial investment necessary to obtain an LGV driving licence.

:bulb: Since very few people give their location, they’re unlikely to receive useful help or suggestions from the older hands in their area. :wink:

I completely understand that DD but just lately there is that much negativity towards us newbies its unreal. I got a job I was interviewed along with other experienced drivers and I some how got the job. Dunno why but I did. If people listened to people like ROG then I believe the last truck drivers died out around 100 years ago, because no newbies ever get jobs

damion.p:
I completely understand that DD but just lately there is that much negativity towards us newbies its unreal. I got a job I was interviewed along with other experienced drivers and I some how got the job. Dunno why but I did. If people listened to people like ROG then I believe the last truck drivers died out around 100 years ago, because no newbies ever get jobs

Hi Damion,

That’s a fair point mate, but ROG also has a point. It’s all a question of balance.

:open_mouth: Blimey, send for a nurse… I agreed with ROG. :open_mouth:

Many newbies have got jobs relatively soon after passing their LGV tests, and that’s absolutely great, but if you have a look through this forum, you’ll see a number of posts along the lines of… why did I bother… I’ve spent £X,000 and I can’t even get an interview.
Another one is… I’ve signed on with XXXX agencies and none of them have phoned me back.

:bulb: This is nothing new, because I had the same “no experience = no job” back in 1979, and the older guys I spoke to at the time said it was the same for them back in the 60s etc.

damion.p:

If you read my post carefully it says to investigate before committing and does not say either way about what newbies will or will not encounter in trying to get that first foot on the ladder

I was very careful not to be positive or negative because as DD says there are posts on here which site both

True Dave, true.
I suppose you could substitute “truck driver” for any other profession and you’d still hear the same old story from the “old hands” in any game.

Do what I did, get a yard job transhipping loads then see if your employer will put you through your licences.

Try govenment funding first, if you can get a company to promise you some work, government will pay for it usually,

I got a job offer and they paid most for mine.