New trainee, need some info help!

Hi all, I’m currently sorting out my provisional licence (class C) and arranging driver training for shortly after (C followed by C+E) but have reached a state of confusion over a couple of things. If any of you could help with some advice it would be greatly welcome!.
Firstly, CPC, i’ve looked into these courses but so far they seem more geared towards operators/transport manager types with a lot of info that hardly seems relevant to actually driving a truck, not to mention the £350 price tag to go with it. Is there a specific CPC course for drivers and if so do i have to have the qualification in order to work?.
Secondly, digi Tacho should i aim for getting my own card or are they issued by employer/agency etc?

any help/clarification with this would be most helpful.

With regards to training i’ve contacted three local instructor centres (northampton area) and they are Power driver, Trucktrain(formerly roadtrain) and Qualitas, each offer a similarly priced training, is there anyone out there who has used any of these and can give any recommendations?

I know i’ve got to pass the tests before the cpc/tacho things are relevant but i’m just trying to get sorted first,after all I WILL PASS (eventually lol).BTW anyone looking for DVLA medical in northampton area try Irchester surgery (nr wellingborough) priced @£35, cheapest i’ve found so far!!.

regards all J

kerbclipper:
it. Is there a specific CPC course for drivers and if so do i have to have the qualification in order to work?.

Not yet but there will be. If you hurry up and pass your test, you won’t need to worry about it until 2014. The CPC course you are talking about, and dodgy training schools try to sell you, is only needed if you are wanting to run your own vehicle as it is the operators one.

kerbclipper:
Secondly, digi Tacho should i aim for getting my own card or are they issued by employer/agency etc?

Wait until you pass then see which route you are going down. Unlikely that an agency will pay for your card but an employer may well do.

Cheers for the reply, CPC seems like another way to ■■■■ money out of people,all being well should have both licences by end of this year.

Welcome kerbclipper :smiley:
The driver CPC is not the same as the the other CPCs.
Digital tachos are usually required by agencies if you work for them but you are responsible for getting one. If you work for a non agency they might be nice and pay for it but dont hold your breath!
DONT USE QUALITAS - do a search on this site to find out why.
Try this for some pre training tips trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23857

mawbster:
can anybody explain the process over the forum as to what i have to do to start with so i can tick them off on paper.

LGV C (Rigid) formally Class 2:

Anyone who passes their car driving test and wants to drive a large goods vehicle will need additional training to be brought to the DSA standard. The vehicles used will also have to conform to the standards as set by the DSA.
The vehicle must conform to the following:
Boxed/curtain sided vehicles
Length 8 metres
Width 2.4 metres
8 forward gears
Tachograph
ABS as standard

Requirements:

Step 1
Have a medical to prove you are physically fit to drive a Large Goods Vehicle using
Form D4 of the pack (obtainable from our centre). Please contact you’re GP or we recommend www.driversmedicals.com who can provide low-cost medical examinations.
Step 2
Obtain your provisional licence. Having completed forms D2 & D4 send with your licence to the DVLA in the enclosed envelope, we recommend you send it record/registered delivery. Your licence with provisional entitlement will normally be returned within 2 to 4 weeks.
Step 3
Pass the theory test. This is carried out at local test centres and made up of two parts; Part 1 is multiple choice, 60 questions and Part 2 is hazard perception, 14 video clips.
Step 4
Book your training course with LGV Training school. Once you have passed your theory.

Test Criteria:
Answer approximately 5 questions on basic vehicle checks.
Reverse into a marked bay.
Controlled brake test.
Drive for approximately 1 hour around the town. Test may also include hill starts and motorway driving.

Order a D2 Form (MARK FORM FOR C NOT C1)
forms.dvla.gov.uk/forms/ordering_forms_dg.htm
Fill the form and a D2 form will be send to in the post
Download the 8 page D4 Medical Form
direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg … 020731.pdf
Please print and take to your GP if you have the facilities at home or work

Theory - get book /CD rom + HPT (Hazard Perception Test) again, you can get CD rom to practice. Best idea - get in touch with LGV school and, for a fee, they will train you and may have cheap medical.
Read posts on this site before booking any LGV school course - if in a certain area ask about a school near you on here. It may be worth you considering a B&B elsewhere in UK to do a course.

Thanks rog for the heads up on Qualitas, got their catalogue which looked to good to be true,
Call me daft if you like but getting the digi tacho, its the card you need not the tacho, is that correct?
great link to the pre training info thanks
regards J

you are correct - it is the card that you need.

kerbclipper:
looking for DVLA medical in northampton area try Irchester surgery (nr wellingborough) priced @£35, cheapest i’ve found so far!!.

regards all J

Thank you, this has now been added to the Cheap Medical section in the Useful Links forum.