New member / change in career

Hi Everyone.

Just thought I like to introduce myself to all of you. My name is James, 37 and currently in the process of applying for my provisional licence to drive Cat-c lorries and then progress onto C+E. I have recently arrived back in the UK ( 3 weeks ) after residing in the Philippines for the past 4 years on a small business venture.

I randomly fell upon this website, while I was searching for info on the net and decided to join up and seek help and guidance from the pros, and newbies. Some good info on here, together with helpful members to guide you :slight_smile: .

I got my medical tomorrow, so hopefully i should pass with flying colours, although I am a bit worried about the eye test. I read on one the threads that you have to read some letters at 3 metres with your glasses off :confused: .

I also still have my paper licence, which I have to submit with the D2 and D4 forms. I still have two Sp30 offences that I have not bothered to erase, 1996 and 2000. I assume these will be erased and I dont have to pay anything when I send the forms off with my old licence in order to get my provisional?

I am based in Southampton, and already decided to go with this driver training school…

Their website: www.by-pass.co.uk

Anyway, first things first, got to get through the medical and wait for my provisional. Cant wait start driving :slight_smile:

Regards

James

**:D :smiley: :smiley: Welcome jpmatrix :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:**

If you click the link in my signature it will lead you to an index where you can access a lot of info which may be of use to you :smiley: :smiley:

Took a look at their website - they look ok but i’ll bet there is someone on here who either knows them or better still, has done their training with them :slight_smile:

Welcome jpmatrix :sunglasses: :stuck_out_tongue:

Hello and welcome,you’ll find this site very useful,I know I did.
Im in southampton as well,did my training with Zenith,had a trail drive with bypass but didn’t like their instructor very much,when asked by me if he enjoyed instructing he replied "I do this ‘cause I hate driving for a living’,kinda put me off!
Any how best of luck and keep us informed of your progress.
Simon :smiley:

"I do this ‘cause I hate driving for a living’

Hmmm… “I do this because I love to teach safe driving and do my best to assist the trainee to get the upgrade they want”
I deliberately did not say “to get the trainee through the test” as that is up to the capabilities of the trainee - I give them the info (sometimes over and over and over again…) but then it is up to the trainee. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I know that the best instructor in the world cannot help some people,but to say something like that makes me think of guns feet and bullets!

thegeordie:
I know that the best instructor in the world cannot help some people,but to say something like that makes me think of guns feet and bullets!

To which comment are you referring :question: :question:

yes,sorry bout that Rog,the Bypass one.
I have nothing but respect for you guys who have a true passion for what you do.I was involved with training the new entrants into my grade(Shunt driving-trains) for a while,some people I refused to teach as they were plain dangerous,others just took a bit gentle encouragement and some lateral thinking on my half.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

For those who live near the Southampton area, ‘By-pass driver training;’ is just ouside Eastleigh. I personally went up there to enquire ; spoke to a guy called Jeff Green and seemed very helpful / down to earth chap. Gave me all the forms etc.

Got my new copy of the highway code today as I cant remember half the signs road markings anymore :laughing: Also got DSA official theory test book for drivers of large vehicles.

Cant recall the last time I studied for any kind of test / exam :laughing:

James

Welcome mate and good luck with the driver training

Got my new copy of the highway code today

The best book you can get in my opinion. You are already off to a good start. :laughing:

:smiley: Hi jpmatrix, WELCOME.:grimacing:

As MT said, you’re off to a good start. :wink:

BTW, good luck from me too. :smiley:

hi jp,

i live in gosport, as you will see from the location thingy, and i have heard mixed reports about bypass. some good and some down right awful. but its like a lot of things, personal opinion will differ greatly between two people. :open_mouth:

like Geordie i went with zenith in lee on solent (pm me for their number) and found them absolutely fantastic, they could not do enough for you. it was all 1-2-1 training and relaxed in the cab but serious when needed. if i ever got on edge Stu, my instructor (thoroughly nice bloke) would find a safe place for us to stop and have a smoke and a chat and off we went again, it was always a better drive after the chat and guidance.

i could not recommend them enough. :stuck_out_tongue:

it is , at the end of the day, your choice and i wish you luck in your course. keep us posted on how your doing. if you need any questions answering here is the place to ask. i have been ‘trucking’ for about 6 months now and I’m still asking dumb questions now and again. there is a vast amount of knowledge on here (not me i hasten to add), i recommend you use it as much as you can. (like i was told the only stupid question is the one you dont ask)
:laughing: :laughing:
welcome by the way.

Giblsa:
hi jp,

i live in gosport, as you will see from the location thingy, and i have heard mixed reports about bypass. some good and some down right awful. but its like a lot of things, personal opinion will differ greatly between two people. :open_mouth:

like Geordie i went with zenith in lee on solent (pm me for their number) and found them absolutely fantastic, they could not do enough for you. it was all 1-2-1 training and relaxed in the cab but serious when needed. if i ever got on edge Stu, my instructor (thoroughly nice bloke) would find a safe place for us to stop and have a smoke and a chat and off we went again, it was always a better drive after the chat and guidance.

i could not recommend them enough. :stuck_out_tongue:

it is , at the end of the day, your choice and i wish you luck in your course. keep us posted on how your doing. if you need any questions answering here is the place to ask. i have been ‘trucking’ for about 6 months now and I’m still asking dumb questions now and again. there is a vast amount of knowledge on here (not me i hasten to add), i recommend you use it as much as you can. (like i was told the only stupid question is the one you dont ask)
:laughing: :laughing:
welcome by the way.

Cheers Giblsa for the pointers :sunglasses: . I have not booked any lessons yet with by pass, so I shall have the choice of looking elsewhere if I decide not to go with them.

If you dont mind me asking, how long after you passed your test did it take to find work? Did you get work through an agency?

James

Just to back up whats said above,I found Zenith very good,the trainers were first rate,but the important thing is you go with what and who you feel comfortable with.

hello mate,

I registered with numerous agencies as soon as i got my licence back from DVLA (it took about 7 to 10 days) but due to already having a full time job i could only work the occasional :wink: weekend.

it took them about a month or so to find me some but now i have got a few hours driving under my belt they are throwing work at me.

the best way to do it, what i found anyway, is to say you will do 7.5t work for a few weeks, but try and get them to pay you class 2 wages. that way they get to hear about you and how you work then after this time tell them you want class 2 work but try not to be too pushy as they can drop you like a stone. it does work believe me. also keep on pestering them about work if they are a bit shy with it. ring them everyday if you have to.

this week i have been doing a single run from fareham to waltham cross and Hatfield and back in a 7.5t on class 2 wages (£8 an hour-after 10 hours time and half)

once you get a foot in the door and they see you are punctual and courteous (to the people you work for not the obnoxious ■■■■■■■■■ you get behind the glass at most goods in places) they will try to find you more work and as you progress you will get the ‘better’ jobs.

one other thing i did as well was say that i would go out with one of their drivers for the day (for nothing) just to learn the ropes.

good luck anyway mate

i think i might be off to zenith on Friday/Monday to book my C+E sometime. the wife has agreed we dont need a holiday this year so i can se the money for it! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Well, I just past the medical :slight_smile: . So its a visit to the post office tomorrow, I am going to do registered post just in case my licence gets lost in the post :unamused: .

James.

well done on the medical, just the esy part to go now!!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Welcome to a great site James, did my training with Zenith, passed C second attempt 14 days ago and still waiting for my license to come back. Can’t progress without it as it’s needed to continue with C+E and agencies like to see it.
Had to chase the DVLA for my provisional (they sat on it because they couldn’t read my doctors notes!!!)
Good luck with the training whoever you decide to go with and take note of what that Giblsa bloke says, he’s a bloody useful chap to know.

gliderman:
Good luck with the training whoever you decide to go with and take note of what that Giblsa bloke says, he’s a bloody useful chap to know.

Hi gliderman, I’d suggest that you re-size your avatar, cos it’s altering the page format. :wink:

If you need any help, please PM me and I’ll sort it for you.:grimacing:

sorry about that, not used to using photobucket, hope its sorted now