New CE and New to this site

Hi all,

As the post says I’m brand new to the site and paid for and recently passed my CE. I’m currently signed up with a couple of agencies in my home town (Nottingham) and have done some work. Mainly C but have yet to get a break with CE. Similar story I guess to the other newbie’s on here, no experience.

I know in the current climate there are fewer jobs and employers I guess have a bigger choice of who they chose from the long list of experienced available drivers. This makes it all the more frustrating for the recently qualified as we are further down on the pecking list.

In some ways the employers are not totally at fault since there are also insurance premiums that they have to consider with a newly qualified. But I would like to think that they would judge each newbie on their own merits and not dismiss them as “Not experienced enough”

More than a few employers need to ask themselves this question. Why would someone take the time and trouble to use their own hard earned cash to obtain a CE licence if they were not serious about doing this type of work?

For now I’ll continue to drive anything that is offered by the agencies (usually the kak!) until I get my break as I have family to feed.

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Daddy P :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

:smiley: :smiley:
I assume it was ARTIC and not W&D?
PS - who did you train with?

Many newbies on this site have recently secured permanent full time C+E employment :smiley: but this does seem to be limited to particular areas of the UK

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

Daddy P:
Hi all,

As the post says I’m brand new to the site…

Hi Daddy P,

Daddy P:
… and paid for and recently passed my CE.

:grimacing: CONGRATULATIONS on passing your “C+E” test :smiley:
:smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley:

Nice one mate. :smiley:

Daddy P:
More than a few employers need to ask themselves this question. Why would someone take the time and trouble to use their own hard earned cash to obtain a CE licence if they were not serious about doing this type of work?

That’s a great question mate, but the sincerity of the applicant who has used their own money to fund the training and test isn’t the problem facing the employer/vehicle owner.
Some of the issues for the employer/vehicle owner to consider are (in no particular order:)

1. The newbie applicant doesn’t usually have experience of navigating from one place to another, leading to problems when the goods are needed quickly. (Insurance claims can arise due to this.)

2. The newbie applicant isn’t usually conversant with securing loads correctly, leading to damaged/rejected goods and insurance claims (very large sums of money are sometimes involved) against the employer/vehicle owner.

3. The newbie applicant doesn’t usually have any experience of driving a loaded vehicle, which handles and drives very differently to the unladen vehicle used for the DSA driving test.
    You’ll already know this from your Cat “C” driving experience, now imagine the difference with an artic. :open_mouth:

Daddy P:
For now I’ll continue to drive anything that is offered by the agencies (usually the kak!) until I get my break as I have family to feed.

If I were to write you a suggested plan for your future career, I couldn’t have put it any better than what you wrote.
The one thing that I’d add is that your time WILL come. :wink: :smiley:

Keep trying mate you’ll get somewhere… go to the BIG companies, these usually have their own trainers etc who will give you an assessment, this is when you can prove to them how safe you can drive, note safe.

Good luck! :smiley:

My history.

I passd my class c July 2008, passed class c+e August 2008, did absolutely any driving agency work going. First C+E exprience was late October, 6 weeks at shunting at Honda in Swindon (1 hours drive not making much after fuel costs getting there) until that went downhill with the buidl up for the closure.I just went back to doing whatever the agency wanted, but always asking around. I was given a lead at the yard I was working at for one assignment and phoned up. I said that I’d heard they were looking for drivers and the first question was “How long have you had your licence for?” I was honest and told them 3 months. They told me no chance because the insurance premiums would be too much. I asked them to speak to their insurance company and find out what the difference would be and maybe we could come to an arrangement over wages.

The long and the short of it is that I have now been there since last December, my wages went up to the full amount after 3 months and I am well on my way to getting the golden 2 years experience, I love my job and look forward to many years of driving.

Congratulations, I just passed my CE end of August too. Ran into the same problem of two years etc. Even though I am 40 and have been driving with clean record since 17. Got offered shunting work last week between Leeds and Wakefield which would have been a great way to break myself in, but agency rang at 4.00pm and I couldnt make it across in time. Oh well, back to multidrop boxes of paper in city centres offices without a lift.

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Foden :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

:smiley: :smiley:
I assume it was ARTIC and not W&D?

Thanks guys!

It’s nice to know there are others who have been in the same position. I’ll keep trying.