Hi from a new driver in Surrey

Hi,

I have just passed my C licence last Friday and will finish my CPC this Saturday :smiley:

After 10+ years away from driving 7.5 tonnes and driving a desk I think a change is needed.

At 40 with no other experience am I right in thinking that agency work will be the best way to go?

Hi Bertee,

Welcome to the forum. I’m almost 40. Clinging to my thirties by my fingernails :smiley: Recently did my C and CE in quick succession. I managed to land a job with a local firm in north west Scotland. They are going to train me up starting on shunters down the dock, then they’ll send me out for a few runs with another driver. Hopefully have my own ride before too long. I know FA about agencies but there must be other private firms out there willing to give some on the job training, even to us more mature (?) noobs. Certainly takes away the worry of being chucked in at the deep end. Worth trying all angles and knocking on doors. Good luck with it.

Cheers

Rich.

Thanks for the welcome.

I want to do my C+E but I don’t think I could take the stress just yet and want to get some C experience under my belt.

I’m gonna try a few different companies, just wondered what the general consensus is… I need to get away from my desk so badly lol

I was in the same boat as you. Did some 7.5t years back but recently decided to do my cat C. Signed up with Driver Hire to get some experience before attempting CE. They seemed to have no trouble finding me work and you get a lot of variety so it is a route I’d recommend with one caveat… Their Umbrella company who pay you take quite a big chunk! At present I’m not looking for a permanent job so it suits me fine.

Thanks for the reply.

I have now registered with them so here’s hoping :slight_smile:

:smiley: :smiley:

Thanks Rog :grimacing: