New driver

I have passed my CE a month ago, but having trouble finding work.
Does anyone know of any companies in the north wales/ north west that employ new drivers??
cheers

wood73:
passed my CE a month ago

:smiley: :smiley:

wood73:
Does anyone know of any companies in the north wales/ north west that employ new drivers??

Unable to help you there mate - well out of my patch.

wood73:
I have passed my CE a month ago, but having trouble finding work.
cheers

Hi wood73,
:grimacing: CONGRATULATIONS on passing your “C+E” test :smiley:
:smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley:

I’m more or less in your area mate, so I’d suggest that you go via the agency route in order to gain experience.

Here is an agency contact that you could try:

gap personnel (They are in Flint.)
0845-6341161

I hope that helps. :smiley:

How far are you willing to travel?

What are you looking to do?

Are you willing to do nights out?

If you are prepared to do nights out (eg tramp) then you can look further afield.

My job is 100 miles each way from home, but I’m out all week so it actually works out as less traveling than 25 miles each way a day for 5 days

Just actually landed a job this afternoon, I was recommended by a friend and beat extensivly experienced drivers to the job, driving a vac tanker virtually on my doorstep!
How lucky’s that.
cheers for your replies.

Well done! Good luck in your new job. :smiley:

wood73:
Just actually landed a job this afternoon, I was recommended by a friend and beat extensivly experienced drivers to the job, driving a vac tanker virtually on my doorstep!
How lucky’s that.
cheers for your replies.

NICE ONE :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

wood73:
How lucky’s that.
cheers for your replies.

What are you picking up?

C-Kay:
What are you picking up?

Dont know yet, but its enviromental waste I think, non hazardous cos I havent got my adr yet.
any advice on vac tanks would be appreciated though.
thanks

It’s one of the easiest jobs you will ever have. I cant really explain much, i dont know if milk and waste tanks are the same.

Just make sure you give the tank enough time to vac up before you start pulling on your first load, and make sure the trailer is set up to vac before you leave the yard (when you get to your first pick up, you can just switch the pump on and sit back for 10 minutes without getting out of the lorry).

You’ll have everything explained to you anyway, there’s valves that might need opening by hand, some will be automatic so you wont have to worry about them.

and if you have a manual ‘top valve’, dont forget to close it between pick ups, otherwise you will get whatever you are carrying coming though the pump, and you’ll then have to run about and wash it out or the pump will sieze :blush:

Excellent news!!!

I’d argue that supermarket work is easier though :wink:

If you can call driving to a farm, connecting a hose, and pushing a button and relaxing hard, i’d hate to think how easy your job is :wink:

Thanks for the advice, I think all the trailers are fairly young, and my mate who works there said they are easy to operate so hopefully will have no problems.
They sending someone with me for first few days so should be ok, just got to remember not to relax brakes, and andy mentioned cornering with part loads on.
starting next tuesday so willl let you know how I get on.

Yep. Nice smooth, even braking will reduce the amount of slop you get. It’s a weird feeling when you first start, but you’ll get used to it.

and as you say, slow round corners, especially ‘chicane’ like corners. You dont need to go round a left hand corner, have the milk slop, then go round a right hand corner and have the liquid go to that side and tip you over.

and handbrake on when you aren’t moving/stopped at lights etc. It WILL push you forwards/backwards, and will catch you out if you’re not careful

well first day done, start at 7am went out as passenger with another driver, one load of leachate locally, then into unilever bromborough for 5000 gallons of detergent washings then back to the yard and drop the trailer. Then took my unit to daf for a bit of work, boss asked if I would take the unilever load to avonmouth next morning and meet up with another driver on the way- no problem.
He phoned the other driver to see what time and then told me I would have to run down there and then as he would be there early.
so coupled up , it was just going dark and headed off. what a strange feeling for about half hour I felt a bit seasick the stuff in the tank was surging back and forward a bit, but soon got used to it, arrived in severn view services about 9.15pm. meeting the other driver here at 7 to go and tip, then across to banbury, then up to stoke, and home tonight.
Good day though, really enjoyed it.

C-Kay:
If you can call driving to a farm, connecting a hose, and pushing a button and relaxing hard, i’d hate to think how easy your job is :wink:

hehe… drive to a supermarket (only 1 a day;)) put it on the dock then sit and wait! :laughing:

wood73:
. what a strange feeling for about half hour I felt a bit seasick the stuff in the tank was surging back and forward a bit, but soon got used to it,

It’s weird at first isn’t it? but as you say, you get used to it after a while. The worst part is when you’re at a standstill and the entire thing is moving :laughing:

philmots:

C-Kay:

hehe… drive to a supermarket (only 1 a day;)) put it on the dock then sit and wait! :laughing:

Lazy git :wink:

well 4 and half days in, had 3 nights out, hopefully be home by midday today.
Job is really easy just get a bit dirty sometimes when your loading at landfills etc, got a nice 54 plate daf cf 430 space cab which is mine for the foreseeable, but spent the day yesterday on an xf - nice to drive and loads of room but not so much power compared to the cf.

Really pleased for you finding employment so soon! Enjoy it… (I hate DAF’s! we had some in on hire, glad they’ve bloody gone!)

Well, done almost 2 weeks now, job is really easy and the money is excellent 4 and half days took home £480! makes all the money I spent getting my class 1 worthwhile!
only annoying thing is a noise from behind the dash at 56mph, asked daf to look at it when it went in for service but its still the same. oh well cant have everything.