Advice needed on starting out (north east)

Anyone got any advice on finding driving jobs. I passed my test for Cat C last September and CPC in Jan. I have my digital tachograph card. Been applying for jobs since jan but cant find work without experience. I have tried agencies with no luck. Any advice appreciated

ash_darlington:
Anyone got any advice on finding driving jobs. I passed my test for Cat C last September and CPC in Jan. I have my digital tachograph card. Been applying for jobs since jan but cant find work without experience. I have tried agencies with no luck. Any advice appreciated

Welcome to TNUK. :slight_smile:

Our problem here in the NE is the large number of C drivers looking for work. The Job Centre seems to send dozens of them on funded courses and others get funded by various redundancy schemes. We are not short of C drivers. :frowning:

I started job-hunting in January this year without success. It was only when I got my CE that I felt people began taking me seriously.

I do know of a couple of firms that takes on new drivers, but do you want to work for £6.75 or so an hour? I certainly cannot recommend them but if you want their details, PM me.

Don’t waste time sending out blind CVs. Get out there and meet potential employers, transport managers, etc. Make a good impression on them and, even if they have nothing for you at present, keep in touch with them. Don’t be shy about asking everyone you encounter for job hunting advice. Make yourself busy enough an results will come.

Good luck
Alan

Hello mate and welcome fortunately for me my employer took me on without experience and I had only just turned 21 lol obv not the best firm but it’s a start! What I did was go round to the depots and see them in person least they get to see what you look like and it’s harder for them to say no than it is over the phone !! If you want it that bad you’ll keep trying !! Good luck

Yes it’s tough on the jobs front at the moment but as the others have said you have to get yourself out there. As I have said before on other threads our place has taken on 3 drivers this year who turned up on spec, just happened to fall lucky. I was talking to the tm last week and he said if a cat c driver with ADR walked in now he would be snapped up ASAP. Also it depends on how far you will travel. Good luck.

Thanks for all the advice. I will give them a go.