Newly passed c+e driver

hello all, jsut passed my class 1 c+e test in the last couple of days and have been looking to make use of it straight away but seem to be banging my head against a brick wall, as every company and agency i have contacted require at least 1 years c+e driving experience.

i am currently not working as i have just moved to selby in yorkshire from down london. would anybody here know of any agencies or transport companies in the selby, york, doncaster and wakefield area that arent so strict on the experience side of things■■?

have gone from being excited :smiley: to have passed my c+e to thinkin have i wasted my money :cry: as it seems like nobody wants you without experience.

thanks for any help anyone can give

Congratulations on you’r C+E pass, (again I think :exclamation: ) :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: It’s a matter of keep trying - perseverence, get your cv out & about, aproach companies, agencies. Good luck :smiley:

thanks bonnie lass, much appreciated.

i just got a bit frustrared today while phoning around agencies and companies, getting told sorry, come back when you have some experience.

so as you have said, i have put the wheels in motion to get my CV put together and i am going to put it on as many sites as i can. i did manage to find 1 company who arent fussed about experience but they have no vacancies at the moment, so will have to keep a sharp eye on their site and pounce quick when something comes up lol

i dont expect to walk into a job but am frustrated with this experience business, i never had this problem with my cat C because my previous company paid for it and put me in a 18t straight away.

just gotta keep on knocking and hope someone gives me a chance :smiley:

You could always remind them of your availability by a phone call every so often, have you read through any of the threads over previous months, pehaps you can find some usefull tips there. The main thing is don’t get disheartened, as with any new job search - you have to put yourself forward in the best possable light, good luck :wink: :smiley:

thanks for the advice bonnie lass, i will check past threads and see what i can find. i guess patience is the key :smiley:

well, i just had a phone call from an agency i registered with, they might have a night shift for me to do in a class 1, oh my god, i am soooo excited but sooo nervous at the same time, just waiting for a phone call back to see if its definetly on or not, fingers crossed :smiley:

Congratulations on passing your test.

I had the same thing 20years ago passing my HGV1 at the age of 22. I was told I wouldn’t get any Class 1 work as I was firstly inexperienced and secondly I was under 25…

I telephoned, wrote and sent CV’s to every firm I could, big or small. I worked on Class 3’s with an agency for Exel Logistics at the time and managed odd days on Class 1 work. It’s quite frustrating but you will get there. I managed to get a permanent job on class one tanker work with a large oil company at the age of 24 until it was contracted out. They even paid for my ADR :smiley:

Just be relentless, stay keen and pester the arse off them.

Good luck :slight_smile:

Try prestons of potto & R T Keedwell out of knottingley, As it isn’t as far as wakefield from selby. They’re the only ones i can think of mate. Dad works with prestons, well its on edge atm with his health but they’re pretty decent outfit…pays not the best but it’s not bad either.

thanks for the info, will get onto them tomorrow, been trying all day wiyh no luck.

forgot to mention, best of luck to your dad with his health

Thanks mate, Very appreciated. Don’t have to worry about going far to each of the companies because they are right next to each other :smiley: You’ll know what i mean if you go for an interview. Let us know how you get on :smiley: :smiley: If push comes to shove just go down to the yard and ask if they are looking for drivers. I know Steve down at P.O.P will take your name down and get back to you if there’s any positions available.

i think i will take a trip to them tomorrow, just checked on aa route planner and they are only 30 mins away, hoping the face to face approach shows some extra effort taken instead of just phoning and asking.

thanks again for your help, will let you know how it goes when i come back tomorrow :smiley: :smiley:

ps,tonight, i was supposed to have a night shift through an agency but it fell through at the last minute, quite relieved it did now, wouldnt have wanted my 1st time out on the road in a artic to be in a storm thats blowing around outside right now

No worries mate, it helps me out in the long run too as i’m only just starting to get my provisional car license abit late i know as i turned 17 in august but things the way they are its the only time i can afford to pay for it :smiley:

They are the only two i can think of at the moment but if they are of no luck i’ll look around transport companies, around the area as it helps me in the long run plus :grimacing: :grimacing: Love to help out a trucker in need!!

jonnytruckfest your a star, thanks for takin the time to help me out, really appreciate it. :smiley: :smiley:

as for the 2 companies you mentioned, i was getting ready to go visit them today when i got a call from an agency in leeds about some class 1 work, i get all excited and head into leeds to register with them, fill out about 20 forms, DVLA check time, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGHHHH, my class1 pass hasnt been registered on their system yet, my heart sank lol. not quite a wasted journey though, i have some class 2 work tomorrow so its not all bad. i planned to go to see the 2 companies you mentioned on the way home, but was late getting out of leeds, so gonna do that 1st thing monday, as i know transport yards can be chaotic on a friday afternoon, with drivers getting back and wanting to get back out the door ASAP

will defo let you know :smiley:

selby newcomer:
jonnytruckfest your a star, thanks for takin the time to help me out, really appreciate it. :smiley: :smiley:

as for the 2 companies you mentioned, i was getting ready to go visit them today when i got a call from an agency in leeds about some class 1 work, i get all excited and head into leeds to register with them, fill out about 20 forms, DVLA check time, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGHHHH, my class1 pass hasnt been registered on their system yet, my heart sank lol. not quite a wasted journey though, i have some class 2 work tomorrow so its not all bad. i planned to go to see the 2 companies you mentioned on the way home, but was late getting out of leeds, so gonna do that 1st thing monday, as i know transport yards can be chaotic on a friday afternoon, with drivers getting back and wanting to get back out the door ASAP

will defo let you know :smiley:

No worries mate glad i can help a fellow truck driver out indeed :grimacing: By the sounds of things my dads never going to be able to get back onto general haulage or any type of trucking work (apart from containers i’d assume) involving lifting and carrying heavy stuff about. Glad to see you have some trucking work its better then nothing mate if anything its more money in the bank and more experience under your belt thats how i see it!!

Another company i forgot to mention was Plasmor, if you have your hiab license (assume its a license not too sure) then you might be able to get onto the block work or try get on for the cement tankers/bulk tipper work. Only thing i remember them telling me is they don’t deliver themselves to customers over 50 miles so you’ll be home every night. Not too sure on the pay like but i think the equipment isn’t half bad, the oldest trucks they have i think are 2002 foden alphas. Plus shocking for me forgetting them when on a business trip i gave them the idea to get a truck painted up in 50th anniversary colours 2 years before hand…now they have 2 golden scanias running about :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: One wag & drag combination and one 8 legger. And if they say that a business student didn’t give them the idea they are liars! :imp:

I know of robert wisemans aswell i think are in the leeds/normanton area i know they take on new drivers as i sent them an email once asking about hgv training etc and they replied to contact them sooner the time so :grimacing: might be worth giving them a shot!!

And again mate don’t worry about it, I preffer to help when i can then let them sink plus again it gives me a good knowledge on what firms to contact when i finally get my HGV license. :grimacing:

Edit: Plasmor is in knottingley also not far from prestons, and it’s only up the road from where i live so very conveniant for me at times when needing to do any business/photography work for college.

i have heard of plasmor but i dont have a HIAB licence but will still give them a go, no harm in trying. cant picture their lorries though, will see on monday, may as well give them a visit along with the other 2

agency says as soon as DVLA has my c+e on their system they will get me some class 1 work, so hopefully things are looking up.

i tried wisemans today along with so many others, wisemans had no vacancies and got the experience thing everywhere else. :cry:

you lookin to do your HGV in the future??

Yep, always wanted to drive trucks since the age of three. So the old cliche of having the childhood dream, but with all the crap going on with my dad at the minute i’m being sensible for once in my life :laughing: :laughing: and getting my grades behind me, as once i get my hgv license i’m going to have 2 jobs in a sense one being a truck driver, and the other involving a camera :blush: As i have a few ideas for the photography at the minute. And the plasmor trucks are basically lime green trucks to which you can spot a mile off :laughing: :laughing: But they do look smart though i must say.

i love bein out on the road all day, couldnt handle bein stuck inside all day, as long as ya get the work done you can do what ya want with in reason lol

i have done some rubbish jobs, but just left a good job to move to yorkshire from london, i was doin air freight out of heathrow airport, loads of sitting about and not much driving lol, 12 hour shirts but was good fun.

moved and thought i would get my class 1 and see how it goes, not much joy so far but its early days

good lad gettin your exams, do the best ya can, and as you say you will have 2 options, lorries and cameras

Hah yeah i hate being at college at the moment, especially re-sitting my gcse’s after failed attempts at school and telling my past college tutor where to shove her course in not so many nice words, Not being treated like ■■■■ by nobody especially when they try to ‘help’ students!

Says alot though, going from 1 college doing a-level business to which i had to do as no point me doing gcse business when i already did it and got a B in it :sunglasses: to which i was pretty much failing due to crap teachers who hardly ever turned up to lessons!! :imp: :imp: to the college im at now re doing my gcses more or less achieving grades which make me feel like the biggest nerd going :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Staying on for a-levels for the next 2 years like and doing my car & hgv training while im at college (Probably in the holidays if i work it well) so when i leave college i have 2 careers in my bag…Freelance photographer which to be honest i can make some money when im out on the road taking pictures of stuff :grimacing: and the profession ive wanted to do since i was a kid. The only part of college i hate is sitting behind a desk :imp: :imp: not many people understand its the place i hate to be, and i’ve worked in a finance office, transport office and probably the funniest a student services office :laughing: :laughing: boy the stories i heard in the office jesus the youth of today LOL. But even still, an office isn’t my playground, i preffer to be out and about, mainly the reason for the photography atleast im still not cramped in an office all the time. :grimacing: :grimacing:

Reed Boardall at Boroughbridge will take on newly qualified drivers.
You spend a day on site learning various paperwork and
site procedeures then a number of days out doing the job
with a driver trainer who will help you learn the job hands on and will
help you with manouvering and learning to reverse etc in various
yards etc.
You can contact their personnel manager on 01423 321309.
Good Luck.