Newly passed c+e driver

thankyou david14, will give them a phone call tomorrow.

gettin really frustrated gettin knocked back everywhere i try :frowning:

selby newcomer:
gettin really frustrated gettin knocked back everywhere i try :frowning:

Know that feeling well I went to visit all the local companies in this area filled in application forms left CV but heard nothing :cry: :cry:

I am now registered with 7 agencies have had some work but not a lot

I do have some other irons in the fire thou

Jonny hope you dad is ok & find something soon to suit him, & yep know what you mean about sitting behind that dest but please stay with it for now as you never know not being funny but have you tried Mc d for a job as they do take on young people & help them through collage & uni but you could use them to get what you want but will have to play the system if you know what I mean

Good luck to all

My dadā€™s ok mate, a pain in the arse at times but thats just my dad for yah :laughing: And iā€™m sticking with college at the moment for the rest of my GCSEā€™s and to complete my A-levels, keeping my promise to my dad getting my grades behind me first :smiley: And iā€™ve applied to many companies asda, morrisons etc but only responses iā€™ve been given are bad ones, Iā€™m thinking of doing my hgv licenses when iā€™m in college, on my ā€˜work experienceā€™ using them weeks to gain my HGV licenses as the work experience finishes then its summer holidays which to me is a bit daft but good also. Taking Applied Business, Photography & Accounting next year Along with rugby :laughing: Determined to get my business A-Level! But hopefully my dad will be able to get on containerwork if thats the case but he thinks they wonā€™t take a second look at him with him not being able to lift pull or carry any weights but surely they wouldnā€™t be able to discriminate against him for that ā– ā–  :confused: :confused: I mean if i could id offer to be the drivers mate for my dad carrying on with the general haulage with where heā€™s at but iā€™m not in a position to where i could with my college and stuff. If anyone could give me advice or anything about this would be great ofcourse but weā€™re making do for now.

You could try Eddie Stobart in sherburn if youā€™re really wanting to get work on Class1, There Geeā€™s Haulage in wakefield, Great Bear in Pontefract, ABN in Sherburn if youā€™re wanting to get on tipper work. Roadway Containers in Leeds, Freightliner Containers in Leeds, C T Transport in Castleford (Not sure on location but i see alot around Knottingley). :laughing: Can tell im a truck nut knowing half the companies in my area :laughing: But i suppose itā€™s good to know.

Dads are a pain I know mine is ( although some would say different ) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Have a read of this

pda-uk.org/healthmatters/rea ā€¦ kpain.html

It may not be so bad after all if you need to know any more just let me know & hope it helps a bit

Thats a good read and a lot of information, but my dadā€™s situation is slightly different, as he had a gastric bypass in 2005 and all was good until he went back to work (Was on bulk tippers at the time) and when he went to get loaded at a quarry they loaded it that off that the sheet had to be lifted out of the sandā€¦Now coming from an operation going back to work earlier then he was expected to go but typical dad wanting to get back to work, He tried lifting itā€¦to which caused his second problem getting a hernia, He had it operated on like a month and half ago if that, and basically when he went to the doctors and he asked when it would be possible for him going back to work, they asked what his career was, Truck driverā€¦and they asked what it in-tailed Pulling curtains, lifting ratchetsā€¦and chains soon as he mentioned chains the doctor told him by under any circumstances he must NOT lift, pull or carry any weight for life, And with my dad coming from a all manual labour working back ground from groundsman up to truck driver he doesnā€™t have anything else behind him. To which i feel is really dis-heartening for anybody to hear and the only work i can think my dad could possibly do in trucking is container work but he has the idea that they arenā€™t going to take a second look at him because of his dis-ability to lift pull or carry any weight to which is kind of agreeable. I feel like crap because i know for a fact if i could iā€™d be out on the road with my dad doing the stuff he canā€™t do so he can at least still feel better that heā€™s in a job. But itā€™s a case of what the company my dadā€™s with is going to do to help us if anything if my dad cannot go back to work. Just a matter of biding time and waiting to see what happens :neutral_face: Iā€™ve got an interview myself next week for an office job in whitwood to which I am looking forward to but iā€™m not at the same time, because itā€™s the last thing iā€™d think iā€™d ever have to do :imp: At least with me being 17 I canā€™t get taxed on the money i earn up until august!! :smiley:

hey lads, thanks for all your help so far, really appreciated, i have got an interview tomorrow at 3:00pm, really lookin forward to it, if they like me i will be having a driving assesment on saturday.

prestons have no vacancies and keedwells have sent me a application form which i got today and have put back in the post, so fingers crossed i will have something soon

selby newcomer:
hey lads, thanks for all your help so far, really appreciated, i have got an interview tomorrow at 3:00pm, really lookin forward to it, if they like me i will be having a driving assesment on saturday.

prestons have no vacancies and keedwells have sent me a application form which i got today and have put back in the post, so fingers crossed i will have something soon

See mate things looking up!! Wheres your interview at if you donā€™t mind me asking, and good luck for it!!! Great to see the newbie drivers getting a chance!!! Just mind to tell me if you get the job what truck to look out for so if you get a random wave round about knottingley/pontefract/wakefield you know its me :smiley: :smiley:

jonnytruckfest:

selby newcomer:

See mate things looking up!! Wheres your interview at if you donā€™t mind me asking, and good luck for it!!! Great to see the newbie drivers getting a chance!!! Just mind to tell me if you get the job what truck to look out for so if you get a random wave round about knottingley/pontefract/wakefield you know its me :smiley: :smiley:

hey jonnytruckfest, hope your cool, had my interview today and guy said job is mine providing my driving assesment is okā€¦company is reed boardall in boroughbridge, 40 mins away from me so not too bad. dont know if i get my own truck there, but they do have nice trucks, volvo, scania and MAN, oldest will be 3 years old, all automatics as well.

Cool, Well iā€™d assume it depends on what work your going on to do, i assume if your gunna be tramping youā€™ll get your own truck, or if its days/nights get a different truck every day id imagine. Good luck for the driving assessment!!! :smiley: :smiley:

trampingā– ā– ? no no no no, thats not for me, i like going home to my bed at night.

will let ya know how the assesment goes

hah can appreciate that mate. Doesnā€™t bother me to be honest, In all honesty i hope my first C&E job is on trampingā€¦But lol im a truck nut :smiley: :smiley: Canā€™t help it !

i done a few weeks on the road covering a blokes holidays at work, i done it in the summer so it wasnt too bad but it did tell me that you cant beat goin home to your own bed at night lol

and as for doing it in the winter :open_mouth: :open_mouth: BBBBBRRRRRRRRR no no no n o no :laughing:

selby newcomer:
i done a few weeks on the road covering a blokes holidays at work, i done it in the summer so it wasnt too bad but it did tell me that you cant beat goin home to your own bed at night lol

and as for doing it in the winter :open_mouth: :open_mouth: BBBBBRRRRRRRRR no no no n o no :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: Blimey!! I donā€™t find this weather cold never have :laughing: Even with the bad snow last year i went out as if it was summer and the looks i got LOL haha very hilarious to be honest.

It doesnā€™t bother me for when i go out for doing tramping but thats how iā€™ve always been eat sleep live trucks me always have :smiley: Just getting vastly annoyed with the pricks in this computer room at college with loud music which is ā– ā– ā– ā–  by the way and have little respect for everyone else. Now this is why i canā€™t wait to finish college!!! :imp: :imp:

Good luck with your search mate.

Reed Bordalls have some really decent kit, new 500 Volvos too IIRC but youā€™ll be working 15,15,13,13 and a 12 if youā€™re lucky! Saying that, itā€™s experience so has to be worth it for a while.

jonnytruckfest:

selby newcomer:

:laughing: :laughing: Blimey!! I donā€™t find this weather cold never have :laughing: Even with the bad snow last year i went out as if it was summer and the looks i got LOL haha very hilarious to be honest.

It doesnā€™t bother me for when i go out for doing tramping but thats how iā€™ve always been eat sleep live trucks me always have :smiley: Just getting vastly annoyed with the pricks in this computer room at college with loud music which is [zb] by the way and have little respect for everyone else. Now this is why i canā€™t wait to finish college!!! :imp: :imp:

lol jonny, i am a southern softie, not hardened up to the northern winters yet ha ha ha

just had word my licence is comin back from DVLA tomorrow so my assesment is lookin good for this saturday

philmots:

Reed Bordalls have some really decent kit, new 500 Volvos too IIRC but youā€™ll be working 15,15,13,13 and a 12 if youā€™re lucky! Saying that, itā€™s experience so has to be worth it for a while.

thanks philmots, i have my assesment with R B this saturday as i am finally gettin my licence sent back from DVLA, so should know either way saturday hopefully.

i did notice they had very nice units to drive when i was there, they have volvos as you said, also scania and MAN, i did get told its long hours but i cant afford to be picky at the mo coz they are the only company i can find willing to give me a chance, so as you say it will be worth it just to get a bit of experience under my belt and see what else i can do in the future. if all goes well on the assesment i will be monday to friday so will have my weekends which i love.

Haha, Just enjoy it mate, Itā€™s experience at the end of the day, and youā€™ll get use to the winters :smiley: :smiley: Even though some of us northerners up here looks at me like im insane half the time :laughing: :laughing: haha Never wear jackets, can be terencial downpours and i still wonā€™t wear one LOL.

Just getting annoyed with college and the pricks that come here, :imp: :imp: stick to driving !!! :imp: :imp: Less hassle!!!

selby newcomer:

philmots:

thanks philmots, i have my assesment with R B this saturday as i am finally gettin my licence sent back from DVLA, so should know either way saturday hopefully.

i did notice they had very nice units to drive when i was there, they have volvos as you said, also scania and MAN, i did get told its long hours but i cant afford to be picky at the mo coz they are the only company i can find willing to give me a chance, so as you say it will be worth it just to get a bit of experience under my belt and see what else i can do in the future. if all goes well on the assesment i will be monday to friday so will have my weekends which i love.

Good luck on Saturday, wish I was Mon - Fri !!!

philmots, this may seem like a stupid question considering the pic you have, but do you drive for sainsburysā– ā– ? i hope to get in with someone like them in the future, they have a big RDC up the road from me so would be very handy if i got in with them when i have a bit of exp behind me. if my assesment dont go to plan, an agency i am registered with is puttin me into sainsburys but only as a class2 driver, so may be a sneaky way to get in if i keep hinting i have a class 1 licence as well lol :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thatā€™s where Iā€™m at just down the road from youā€¦