New cat C, now the hard part

…finding work.

Hi all I’m new here, and passed my Cat C (class 2) 2 weeks ago.

Bit of background, I’m 40 and have spent the last 22 years mainly on coaches but have done a fair bit of general haulage on 7.5 tonners. Since I was a kid I’ve kind of always wanted to be on trucks, I enjoy the open road and driving something big but to be honest I’m not really what you might call a “people person” so decided to take the plunge and spent this year’s holiday money on getting my Class 1. Course is booked and paid for for the 9th of January 2012.

I can’t wait to get away from schoolkids, collar and tie, and all of the cleaning up after everyone who sits behind me.

I live in East Northants where there seem to be RDCs springing up everywhere, Morrisons are pretty big round here.

BUT

I know it’s only been 2 weeks but I’ve done a lot of “mileage” on days off looking for a job. It seems to be the same story everywhere, manily at agencies. Converstion goes roughly like this:

Me: Hi, are you looking for class 2 drivers?
Them: Yes, we’re desperate for good drivers.
Me: well I’ve got 22 years on coaches up to 15m length and a fair bit of general haulage on 7.5s but I’ve only just passed my HGV.
Them: Sorry, you need to have had your licence for 2 years.
Me: I’m sorry, I thought you were in dire need of good qualified drivers.
Them: Sorry, come back in 2 years, goodbye.

One such company is part of a massive multinational, delivers to a large high st clothing chain, and is a 5 minute walk from my house.

Just wondering if I’m the only “newbie” facing slammed doors?

Anyway, I’m bloody determined that I’ll persuade somebody to give me a shot sooner rather than later.

You’re definitely not the only one and this is the problem every new driver will face in this industry. It seems to be not what you know, but who you know these days.

keep plugging away at it mate,go to as many firms in your area have a chat with them leave name/number you will get a call one day,i no its hard but if you show willing to go see them in person it may pay off, good luck in job searching :smiley:

You need to speak to the organ grinder and not the monkey.
When you get to speak to him, say “gis a job mister”. It worked for me. The hardest part was getting past the monkeys. Persistence is the key.

:smiley: :smiley:

I’m having the exact same problem but atleast you have experience of driving big vehicles. I’m 24, It’s either the “no experience” or the “too young to insure” for me.

I dont wanna drive vans I have a class C licence I wanna drive fu*king class C lorries. ATLEAST C1. :cry:

Thanks for the replies people. Not been on here for a while, couldn’t remember my password :blush: :blush:

So I passed the class 1 on the 27th with only 1 minor fault and a mate of mine with his own skip firm offered me a job. I took it without hesitation and walked away from Coaches, YIPEE, no more screaming kids, drunks, cleaning windows and floors or mopping up vomit. Previous employer replaced me so there’s no going back, I’m out on the skips getting dirty and having a great time being in the truck with my mate “training” ready to take over once his new wagon arrives.

Life was great…for one week.

Yep, one week, until his insurance company jumped in with the 2 year rule!!!

Now here I am, full class 1, 22 years hauling live humans around (without so much as scratching one of them) and unemployed.

I’ve spent a week now calling everywhere within 20 miles and all I get is the door slammed in my face. Can’t even get a job on rigids. Odd that the same insurance firms will trust me to safely transport 50 kids up a mountain in Austria to a ski resort but not a skip full of topsoil to the local dump. I just don’t get it.

Situation is worse now as far as finding work goes now that ESL and Wincanton/Argos are both shutting thier Corby ops down and moving to Lutterworth so that’s a couple of hundred Stobart and Wincanton experienced drivers in the queue ahead of me.

I’m beginning to wonder if the 3 grand I spent was worth it.

Anyone in East Northants know of a company prepared to give a newbie a chance?

AndyH71:
Thanks for the replies people. Not been on here for a while, couldn’t remember my password :blush: :blush:

So I passed the class 1 on the 27th with only 1 minor fault and a mate of mine with his own skip firm offered me a job. I took it without hesitation and walked away from Coaches, YIPEE, no more screaming kids, drunks, cleaning windows and floors or mopping up vomit. Previous employer replaced me so there’s no going back, I’m out on the skips getting dirty and having a great time being in the truck with my mate “training” ready to take over once his new wagon arrives.

Life was great…for one week.

Yep, one week, until his insurance company jumped in with the 2 year rule!!!

Now here I am, full class 1, 22 years hauling live humans around (without so much as scratching one of them) and unemployed.

I’ve spent a week now calling everywhere within 20 miles and all I get is the door slammed in my face. Can’t even get a job on rigids. Odd that the same insurance firms will trust me to safely transport 50 kids up a mountain in Austria to a ski resort but not a skip full of topsoil to the local dump. I just don’t get it.

Situation is worse now as far as finding work goes now that ESL and Wincanton/Argos are both shutting thier Corby ops down and moving to Lutterworth so that’s a couple of hundred Stobart and Wincanton experienced drivers in the queue ahead of me.

I’m beginning to wonder if the 3 grand I spent was worth it.

Anyone in East Northants know of a company prepared to give a newbie a chance?

Well Done on passing Class 1. That’s fantastic.

It’s unfortunate that this time of year is quiet in the haulage industry.

Having said that there has been a slight blip the last fortnight or so with jobs. Quite a few threads on this forum with people given a start.

I agree it’s crazy that you are trusted with the lives of 50+ people on a coach, and yet they won’t ensure you for a few pallets. Just madness.

Keep on trying. Something will turn up.

I am going the other way. Spent a year on Rigids. Took My Class 1 just before Christmas. Nothing in the way of work. Decided to go ferry the drunks and school kids around. Hoping things will be better in 2 years once I have 2 years ‘experience’ :wink: :wink: on my licence.

Best of luck mate. You aren’t alone. Plenty on here in the same boat.

Keep us posted.

dar1976:
Decided to go ferry the drunks and school kids around. Hoping things will be better in 2 years once I have 2 years ‘experience’ :wink: :wink: on my licence.

Best of luck mate. You aren’t alone. Plenty on here in the same boat.

Keep us posted.

OOF, good luck with LastBus mate, I did a stint with Stagefright a few years back, wasn’t pleasant.

I’m trying to stay positive but it sure aint easy.