Jobs, Agencys for new drivers class 2?!

Hi there, i passed my Cat C last year now on the 30th October, also i passed my hiab test in November and last week i passed my CPC. I have my own digi Tacho card. I have done all of these tests off my own back because basically i hate working in a warehouse and want to get out on the roads. It has cost me alot of money but im sure it will eventually be worth it. I ring agencys up and get the usual oh if you,ve no experience then were gonna struggle to find you work. How on earth are you supposed to gain experience when nobody will take you on!!!
Alls im after is some weekend work so i can gain the experience to eventually get a full time job as driving. Just a saturday a week will do me or it be abonus if sunday as well. I am based in preston, Lancashire and was wondering if anybody has any class 2 jobs available at weekends or knows of any agencys that deal with NEW drivers?? I think its a joke because you can clearly drive otherwise wouldnt have the license to prove it. Any help would be much appreciated. Kind regards Mick

Hi Mick , i passed cat c last friday and got straight onto about 6 agencys , most said no chance u need 2 or in one case 3 years experience :unamused: .

some were really sympathetic , one was pretty curt and didnt want to spare 10 seconds let alone 5 mins talking to me :imp:
One guy i spoke to said he had tooo many drivers for too little work , but we went on to have a good 10 min chat and when he asked where i lived his attitude changed completely and was quite keen to get me registered :wink:
I am a good 40 miles from there office and he has work out my way and his normal guys dont really want to travel that far .
I will pm you with their details .

I think you might struggle just getting w/e work thru an agency , might be a better bet approaching your local hauliers , get a c.v. wriiten up and a covering letter explaining your circumstances . send out as many as you can and see if any ring u back .

cheers Mike

could you send me details again my emails playing up. Its a joke though i think how on earth do they expect us to get experience??!!

and also i work indoors all week dont drive or anything so that means i am aloud to drive at weekends doesnt it? obviously if i drove all week i know you can only work one day every other weekend

Did you get my pm and /or e mail ?

No you cant drive all weekend if you work all week you will have to take your work into account so just 1 day every 2 weeks

Sorry to disappoint you but it is hard to get work as there are a lot of experienced drivers out there looking for work as well & as you only want the best ie weekend & are very restricted agency normally like at least 6 mth checkable reference now

As you have a full time job I would just stay there until things pick up in a few years time

Just out of interest, does this 2 years experience that everyone mentions have to be in a cat C (or C + E) or will 2 years experience in a 7.5 count? Passed my cat C in november, but have several years of 7.5 experience. Only getting to drive cat C once or twice a week at the moment.

Squiddy:
Just out of interest, does this 2 years experience that everyone mentions have to be in a cat C (or C + E) or will 2 years experience in a 7.5 count? Passed my cat C in november, but have several years of 7.5 experience. Only getting to drive cat C once or twice a week at the moment.

You 7.5t experience dosent normally count as experience for Cat C or CE sorry to say

Although you may have an advantage over some people due to the fact you do have driving experience, reading a map finding your way to places etc

I think you will find that it is best to ‘exaggerate’ when they ask you what experience you have. Also be prepared to drive vans and 7.5T trucks before class 2 work comes your way. It may not be what you got ure licence for but its still good experience and this way you will also be able to prove yourself to the agency ie. reliable

Dakota:
I think you will find that it is best to ‘exaggerate’ when they ask you what experience you have. Also be prepared to drive vans and 7.5T trucks before class 2 work comes your way. It may not be what you got ure licence for but its still good experience and this way you will also be able to prove yourself to the agency ie. reliable

You will also build up a reputation with the agency if you do this

But as I said if you work full time this does count towards your working week