Help me .... New driver

I have just passed my class 2 and cpc but can’t get a start anywhere ! I am a bricklayer so am still working doing that but desperately want to start driving ! I live in Leicester I am hoping too get in at widdowsons but they have nothing at mo ! I have phoned every agencies and every haulage company within 30 miles but everyone gives me the 2 year experience line ! Any ideas anyone ? Thanks

You age may be against you as think you are 23/24 that dont help as most like you to be at least 25 due to insurance

Join the long list of new & experienced driver looking for work

Just keep looking & stay working where you are dont give up & go with agency as they will promise you everything deliver nowt

Hi there Samhollis1987!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting your cat C licence. :sunglasses:

Don’t give up on looking for driving work mate. You will get there eventually. It’s just a case of being in the right place at the right time. So if you approach enough companies (in person is really the best way), looking presentable and confident, tell them how keen you are to work for them. Then an opportunity should arise some time soon. Don’t give up pestering the same company you would like to work for. Tell them so! Do some research on that company and tell them how much you admire the way they operate their business and you would be proud to be a part of that successful team. If you don’t hear back from them within a few weeks, then go back to them and show you really mean business! :slight_smile:

I really do believe that you make your own luck and perserverence is the name of the game. (Some might call is harrassment!! :laughing: ) But just keep at it, and sooner or later a company will be in need of someone immediatly and will remember that pest err I mean person who was very keen, and Bob’s yer Uncle! :smiley:

I wonder if you intend to upgrade your cat C to C+E at anytime soon? That would also serve you better, so it’s worth thinking about if you can afford it that is.

Anyway, keep us all posted. Good luck mate! :sunglasses:

Hi mate
like LJA says dont give up try phoning the agents and telling them that you dont mind starting on 7,5 ton work and working your way up …I started with agents on 7,5 ton work last april passed my C in july then got C work from day one I now have CE and will move up the ladder another step .
Regester with as many Agents as you can mate thats the way to get your foot in the door :smiley: best of luck
Regards Roy

Thanks for advice and yes I am booked in for my assessment for my class 1 on the 2nd if march so hopefully that might open a door for me somewhere ! Even with class 1 they want 2 years experience … I keep saying too them how am I supposed too get my experience if no one will give me a shot at it !! But I suppose everyone started where I am so there must be someday of doing it ! My dad a c+e driver for asda so maybe try there once I get my class 1 see if he can have any influence !

Like I said before mate, if you keep trying I am sure you will get a chance. I recently upgraded my cat C licence to C+E and with NO C+E experience I was given a chance by a local company, so it does happen. I am not the only one either. There have been quite a few recent posts by members of the forum who have been lucky enough to get a job without any experience, and like Roy says, you also need to say you don’t mind driving 7.5T vehicles either. The trick is to not give up and not get too down when you don’t get any offers straight away as things are not easy in the current job market. But things will get better and you will get your chance, I’m sure.

Cheers for the advice I witt stick at it and hopefully get into this firm I want to ! Hopefully in a month or so I will b writing on here saying I got a start !
Cheers

Samhollis1987:
Cheers for the advice I witt stick at it and hopefully get into this firm I want to ! Hopefully in a month or so I will b writing on here saying I got a start !
Cheers

I hope so mate! Make sure you go there in person and research the company first to find out all you can, and then always ask questions that you couldn’t find answers to during your research.

Don’t forget to let us know how you get on. Cheers! :sunglasses:

You’ll earn a lot more money bricklaying than driving. :smiley: :smiley:

As a new driver, you can’t really be too picky and decide where you want to go… it’s a matter of who will give you a chance and more often than not, they’re not as close to home as you would think. I’m 18 and passed my Class 2 in December and I’m still hunting high and low for a job, I’ve been forced start looking for a job up to 45 miles away and this is daily, to and from there.

Not saying you shouldn’t have have the right to want to work somewhere but you can’t be too picky in these early stages.

Foxstein there is no money in bricklaying anymore I was earning more when I was 18 than I am now the building trade is finished ! My dad is good friends with someone who is a manager at a haulage firm so fingers crossed he gunna get me in there.

Samhollis1987:
Foxstein there is no money in bricklaying anymore I was earning more when I was 18 than I am now the building trade is finished ! My dad is good friends with someone who is a manager at a haulage firm so fingers crossed he gunna get me in there.

That’s the best way these days - cold calling and who you know.

With agency work I found they won’t give you class 2 right away. They will probably make excuses at first, or give you van work or maybe 7.5 tonne - they are trying you out by doing this. If you do okay with that they will start getting you class 2 work. Thats how it was with me and plenty of other agency drivers I have spoken to. Some will say point blank that the won’t give you it at all, I wouldn’t waste much time with them.

Yer I no I can’t b too picky but money driving a 7.5 ton is minimum wage can’t really live on that with a mortgage and a family too feed ! My dads mate said hopefully end of march start of April he can get me in to this haulage firm and it £8 an hour then £12 after 48 hour week so fingers crossed I gunna get in there

Samhollis1987:
Yer I no I can’t b too picky but money driving a 7.5 ton is minimum wage can’t really live on that with a mortgage and a family too feed ! My dads mate said hopefully end of march start of April he can get me in to this haulage firm and it £8 an hour then £12 after 48 hour week so fingers crossed I gunna get in there

You should be getting more than minimum wage (just) doing van work! I was being paid I think £6.50ish for vans, £7.00 - £7.50 for 7.5 tonners, and £7.50+ for class 2. Full time employed for class 2 should be £9.00+ per hour.

I this area ( dont know where you are ) it is £6.5 up to 7.5 t then average for Cat C or CE is £7.5 ph

If you think bricklaying is on its knees so it the transport industry sorry to say but if you think about it if nowt being build then nowt being delivered so what happens to all those drivers :bulb: :question:

It is an employers market atm so they can get away with paying mim wage

BanburyDan:
… Full time employed for class 2 should be £9.00+ per hour.

What?? :open_mouth:

When you say ‘should be’ I think you were right there…I think we are all underpaid these days, but what we should be paid is far from what we actually are!! :cry:

LJA:

BanburyDan:
… Full time employed for class 2 should be £9.00+ per hour.

What?? :open_mouth:

When you say ‘should be’ I think you were right there…I think we are all underpaid these days, but what we should be paid is far from what we actually are!! :cry:

I must be really lucky then, I get over £9 an hour for class 2, and every class 2 job I have applied for has been around that amount, could just be the area but I’m not sure. I have seen some class 2 jobs at over a tenner an hour…!

Do you lads think I would have more chance of getting started if I get my class c+e ?

Samhollis1987:
Do you lads think I would have more chance of getting started if I get my class c+e ?

Lads :question: :question: :question:

Defo go for it as it will make you more employable as then you will be able to drive all cat ( except bus )