Need advice please!

:smiley: well im 16 and i want to be a truck driver when im old enough but what shall i do for the few years i have to wait until i can take the test, because i cant get a job anywhere that has trucks because of insurance and all that rubbish so i need advice from current truckers on what thay did when thay were my age :smiley:

THE SCANIA MAN:
:?: well im 16 and i want to be a truck driver when im old enough but what shall i do for the few years i have to wait until i can take the test, because i cant get a job anywhere that has trucks because of insurance and all that rubbish so i need advice from current truckers on what thay did when thay were my age over and out :unamused: [/u][/url]

You’ll only have to wait a couple of years - when the Driver CPC comes in, you will be allowed to drive trucks when you’re 18.

One little thing though - this will add a fair chunk already to the money you’ll have to spend to get the licence.

Just be a little bit patient :exclamation:

**:D :smiley: :smiley: Welcome THE SCANIA MAN :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:**

If you click the link in my signature it will lead you to an index where you can access a lot of info which may be of use to you in the future :smiley: :smiley:

BUT, first of all there is the ‘B’ car test to do.
start by studying the basics such as the highway code and sit in vehicles that are driven by GOOD SAFE drivers so that you can observe them and learn.

ok thnx for the advice :wink:

If I were you I’d try and get some qualification(s) from college now, the sort that you can fall back onto should you find out later that truck driving isn’t really your thing and for your information there aren’t any driver shortages as some quarters would like you to believe.

see trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewto … ht=#317462

If I were you I’d try and get some qualification(s) from college now, the sort that you can fall back onto should you find out later that truck driving isn’t really your thing

Absolutely spot on advice.

Driving LGV is a great job to have but as with any job things can go wrong and if you only have one skill then its hard to change careers.

Being 16 I would advise getting some good qualifications under your belt or at least training for something that would be a good fall back if the driving does not work out.
Mechanics are a good option. A good LGV fitter is worth his weight in gold as are tyre fitters and auto electricians.
all these careers could be worth looking into and you dont have to be 21 to get started. Remember a driver that knows about the mechanics of the vehicle and can fix some of the recurring faults is streets ahead of just a wheel turner.

join the army either logistics or royal artillery get all your licenses for free like alot of people on here me included do your 4 years get out get trucking :wink: :sunglasses:

Mothertrucker:
Remember a driver that knows about the mechanics of the vehicle and can fix some of the recurring faults is streets ahead of just a wheel turner.

I’ll get me coat then… :laughing:

Good luck young 'un! If you can get a copy of “Roadcraft” it won’t do any harm. Keep yourself sensible, prudent and respectful when you’re driving and you won’t go far wrong.

Above all…don’t give up and hang on to your dreams…I’ve had nearly 21 years of very happy times driving trucks…I still love driving them.

There’s already been some excellent advice from the likes of Moving-On, Mothertrucker and Rog (they’re definitely worth listening to).

THE SCANIA MAN:
:?: well im 16…
i need advice from current truckers on what thay did when thay were my age over and out :unamused: [/u][/url]

You’ve got a minimum five years to wait to drive a truck so get yourself on a modern apprenticeship; pick the right trade and you could end up minted.

Shrek:

Mothertrucker:
Remember a driver that knows about the mechanics of the vehicle and can fix some of the recurring faults is streets ahead of just a wheel turner.

I’ll get me coat then… :laughing:

Me too! :laughing:

one thing you would need first though is your car licence lol

as has been said get a few qualifications under your belt that would be relevant, maybe even somthing like business management or somthing like that for when you want to get off the road at the end of it or want to set off on your own.

but with a bit of detirmination anything is possible just look at me i was a security guard in tesco this time last year now have my licence and will be out on the road within the next fortnight.

good luck!

:smiley: well i am doing a public services course at college and im not the sort of person who will get a job in a office or anywere like that i like hands on work not just siting doing boring paper work or sitting at a desk all day so the sooner i can start driving those beasts the better :smiley:

i started doing public services, if your doing that why not do as was suggested join the forces army or somthing like that once you’ve served your term you’ll be 20 and already have a number of years experience so you’d one up on a lot of new drivers out there only thing then that would hold you back would be your age.

but its still somthing to look at.

once again good luck

i cant join the army cus i got asthma :frowning:

Try and get an apprenticeship as a fitter with Scania or another make. Then you can learn all there is to know about trucks and that will hold you in good stead for your future.

Dr Dubya:

THE SCANIA MAN:
:?: well im 16…
i need advice from current truckers on what thay did when thay were my age over and out :unamused: [/u][/url]

You’ve got a minimum five years to wait to drive a truck so get yourself on a modern apprenticeship; pick the right trade and you could end up minted.

Only 2 years - 18 years old from Sept 2009 when the driver cpc is introduced.

yep sure is i cant wait :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

i know a few lads who i was in the army with and they got asthma

yer but thy might of changed the requirements to join :frowning:

THE SCANIA MAN:
yer but thy might of changed the requirements to join :frowning:

have you tried the RAF. i know they have a branch of drivers (or you can get postings just as drivers). when i was in Gibraltar i was working with a few raf guys that had asthma, one of them had it really bad as well.

plus you will get all the airfield driving permits and forklift which might come in handy around your neck of the woods with not being far from london.

best of luck and stay focused young un, you will live your dream one day, i have been in the navy since i was 16 and i am now finally realising my dream of becoming a HGV driver, got my class 1 in 2 weeks time. cant wait!

good luck for the future

Lee