Need advice

Hello,

Im new to these forums and im looking for help/advice.

Im 23 years old and love driving and i like my own company not a very people person, i have allways liked trucks and my life long dream would be to drive all across Europe in a truck. Now i can barrow the money of my parents to learn to drive class 2 trucks but before i do i need a few questions answered.

1. At 23 if i had class 2 licence would i be able to get a job driving as i hear firms only want 25+ drivers with experience which i don’t have. I would be happy with any job that involves driving ideally rigid trucks so i can get some experience.

2. when i pass my rigid test and hold a class 2 licence shall i hold out with getting class 1 till i have experience and im25 at least as at the moment im thinking it will be a waste as no one would take me.

3. with passing my rigid test is there any other certificate that can help me getting a job? at the moment im looking at http://www.lorrydrivertraining.co.uk to get my licence there site looks awfal but i got an info pack from them which is a million times better. I live in exeter if anyone knows of a better place to learn then please post a link for me.

Thats about it basiclly i want info on the best way for me to go about getting a career in lorry driving. so any info is welcomed but i dont know all the jargon for the industry so bare that in mind :smiley:

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Exous :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

1. … at the moment im looking at lorrydrivertraining.co.uk to get my licence there site looks awfal but i got an info pack from them which is a million times better. I live in exeter if anyone knows of a better place to learn then please post a link for me.

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which started on 10 Sept 2009.

1. At 23 if i had class 2 licence would i be able to get a job driving as i hear firms only want 25+ drivers with experience which i don’t have. I would be happy with any job that involves driving ideally rigid trucks so i can get some experience.

A read of THIS POST may be useful.

1. when i pass my rigid test and hold a class 2 licence shall i hold out with getting class 1 till i have experience and im25 at least as at the moment im thinking it will be a waste as no one would take me. …with passing my rigid test is there any other certificate that can help me getting a job?

Getting CE will improve your options greatly as many newbies under 25 on here have already found out - some of those are in perm full time employment driving artics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

i dont know all the jargon for the industry

Truckers Ackronyms & Synonyms
hope it helps

Thanks for reply, Would you say its worth getting my class 2 licence now or wait till im 25?

It’s close on impossible to give advice without knowing your financial circumstances,as with most things,training is expensive.Certain certificates i.e. Fork Lift Truck,ADR (Dangerous Goods) and HIAB (Lorry Mounted Crane) are always advantageous but given they only last 5 years,they may well expire before you get chance to use them.The Class C+E licence on the other hand is for life and it’s anyone’s guess whether the test will become more difficult or more expensive in years to come.Try to get ANY driving job you can,it will all count as commercial driving experience.If you employer has a wide range of vehicles the opportunity will come to drive them all if you are keen.If you’ve got the licence ,one day someone will go off sick, or they will have to hire an extra truck and you’ll get your chance.

Exous:
Would you say its worth getting my class 2 licence now or wait till im 25?

If it’s what you want to do and can afford the training then I can’t see any reason why not. Even if you weren’t to be offered a job until you were 25 there’s no advantage in delaying now.

Exous:
Would you say its worth getting my class 2 licence now or wait till im 25?

mrpj:
If it’s what you want to do and can afford the training then I can’t see any reason why not. Even if you weren’t to be offered a job until you were 25 there’s no advantage in delaying now.

Was just writing an almost identical answer when I noticed yours :slight_smile:

If you wait until you are 25 mate you still may have the problem because of not having the experience, so go for it now especially if you have the money if it is really what you want to do then jump at it mate. When you have passed just sign up to agencies, call round all companies within the distance you are willing to travel and apply for every job you see it is all experience. People will say its hard to get work but until you try you will never know you may just get lucky. Back to the age thing can I recommend that you suggest to any potential employer that you would be willing to pay the excess if you have a bump that is your fault, I don’t know if this is always the case but in my experience insurance companies will up the excess instead of turning round and saying no, after all the company you are trying to work for is their customer and if they own a few motors there policy could be valuable to the insurance company. Like I say this is only what has happened to me and I was driving a van so it may be stricter for trucks but if you don’t try you don’t know.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do