Likely to find work at 18?

Hi,
im wanting to take my class 2 as im 18 now, but im worried that if i take it i won’t be able to find work once ive passed due to being young and obviously no experiance.

Im going to ring some agencies etc on monday but thought id get your opinions first :smiley: ?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44667

Visit the LGV school BEFORE paying out any money

Firstly, welcome to the forum. Fire all your questions and there’s normally someone who can give a sensible reply.

Answer to your question is, sadly, you’ll sgruggle. By all means, do your CAT C because all the time you’ve got it, time is ticking and it will stand you in good stead at some point. But I would set my sights on driving a van and trying to move up. If you’re clever/fortunate, you’ll get a van job somewhere that runs larger vehicles as well. That could be a way forward. Maybe double-manning or the odd Saturday morning or sick/holiday cover.

Some insurers are very uncomfortable about insuring young drivers and this will be thrown at you all the time.

Another way into the industry could be via warehousing, leading to van driving, leading to truck driving.

But I would be amazed if you passed your CAT C and walked straight into a full time permanent CAT C job.

I hope you appreciate the honesty and take the constructive advice. Any questions, fire away - here to help.

All the best with whatever you decide. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

If trucking is what you really want to do then save up or borrow the money and take your class II now.

I hummed and hah’d and left it till I was in my 30’s till I took the test and now wish I had done it earlier.

If you take your test now it’s true that you may have to wait 2 years before anyone will even consider you, but in two years time you will only be 20.

thanks for the replys, this is exactly what i was thinking, will consider doing the test, then at leat ive got it and hopefully will find work in a year or 2. thanks everyone :slight_smile:

if you can drive a 7.5t then try and apply to brakes, a food distribution company, they put 7.5t drivers through their class 2, you will have to stay with them for 1 year minimum(i think). it can be hard work but you could gain some experience with them and then look elsewhere.
goodluck

Peter Smythe:
Answer to your question is, sadly, you’ll sgruggle. By all means, do your CAT C because all the time you’ve got it, time is ticking and it will stand you in good stead at some point. But I would set my sights on driving a van and trying to move up. If you’re clever/fortunate, you’ll get a van job somewhere that runs larger vehicles as well. That could be a way forward. Maybe double-manning or the odd Saturday morning or sick/holiday cover.

Hardly inspiring…

Welcome to the site, i’d work on getting your license first, then worry about a job. You WILL get a job but it mite not be doing what you wont, i.e skips, bin wagons, builders merchants etc. I’m young ish (22) and got a job no problem with a builders merchant and i see plenty of other lads my age doing the same sort of work, few weeks ago i saw a young girl (early 20’s) pulling a freshline trailer, so its more than possible.

Just trying to be honest - and I was. The training industry is rife with so called trainers making ridiculous claims about employment prospects and this isn’t fair to anyone, let alone an 18 year old, who is thinking about parting with a great deal of their hard earned.

I have trained some 18/19 year old drivers and I believe they are all working. But the difference is that they already had strong connections e.g Dad is the transport manager or Uncle owns the company. I have no problem with young drivers - I started coach driving at 18. But I have a problem with some claims that are clearly misleading.

Sorry if it wasn’t inspiring.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Tommy,

Welcome to the site, ignore the negatitivy of Peter Smythe, he will be your best friend if you train with his school … TNT I believe were doing an apprenticeship Check them out I mean if they put you on a 3 year apprenticeship but they will put you through it all.

ignore the negatitivy of Peter Smythe

For crying out loud!! How about “respect the truthfullness”

Lots of things I am - negative aint one of them!!

And yes, I’ll be his best friend if he trains with me - but I wont take his money under false pretences.

And if that’s “negative”, guilty as charged. :laughing: :laughing:

i dont think that peter was giving negativity,its the truth…

Well i agree with Peter. You will struggle, BUT there are ways of finding work.

Register with as many agencies as you can, even a saturday morning a month on a 7.5 tonner is better than nothing. How about Gritters, i worked for local council a couple of years ago and in the winter months they were taking on casuals of all age, Ive done a lot of Gritter driving and its a great way to get experience, its easy work, (unless you get the bad run, then it can be a bit hair raising!!) but if this winter is anything like the last, they will be crying out for drivers.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :smiley:

Any agency will take you, it will cost them nothing, and you also except your time. You will hear the ‘2 yrs license rule’ at all times, but the simple thing is they just let you sign up anyway so go for it. In my own experience, as soon as they are short-handed you may as well have passed your test 5 mins. ago, their commission is all that matters to them, if any problems they will deal with it later…

If you do get a start, get to know the guys you work with and if the agency is taking the you-know-what then just walk away, simples, go to another they will be happy to see you. And run legal at all times. It’s your license remember not theirs, and all agenices couldn’t care less if you get done, they will simply get another driver coming thru the pipeline.

discoman:
Tommy,

Welcome to the site, ignore the negatitivy of Peter Smythe

But Pete’s right in what he says !!!

The waste recycling co’ I work for won’t take anyone under 18 in the yard or anyone under 21 in the vehicles because of insewerance restrictions.

The most common haulage policies nowadays have a max 6 points, 2yr experience & over 21 clause for the drivers.

Do a bit of research & phone up a few TM’s, ask them if they would ever take on a newly qualified 18yr old.

I’d say get the license first, it will impress them when you turn round and say, i’ve got a license and looking to get started as soon as possible. You’ll be taken more seriously aswell.

Saaamon:
I’d say get the license first, it will impress them when you turn round and say, i’ve got a license and looking to get started as soon as possible. You’ll be taken more seriously aswell.

What that man says ^^^ but I’d be surprised if you managed to find someone willing to put you through your tests at the moment. Beg, borrow (or loot) the money, get your licence, DQC and digital tacho card then start knocking on doors. I started visiting companies yesterday and have already got a couple of more than promising leads to follow up on Monday. The DQC gets a lot of attention, it’s like they’ve never seen one before.