Age Limit

Hey all. My names Ash.

I been looking at driving hgv`s since i was a boy now the time has come. Im 18 but all the websites i look on say you have to be 21+

Could some one tell me is this because they havent changed there website or because they dont want to teach 18 year olds.

Ash

Welcome :slight_smile:

It’s 18 now with the driver cpc:

direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr … DG_4022547

So beacuase i passed my car test june last year. I have to take the cpc first.■■

Ash

Hi, and welcome.

No problem at all with training at 18. Yes, you will need driver cpc but that’s not a big deal.

All the best with it.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

you can start training at 18, but the problem you have got is you will find it very hard to get hgv work because the insurance companies do not like to insure under 25s. Your best bet would be to get in with a haulage company and start on vans and move up . don’t want discourage you but you have to be realistic after you have spent a lot of money on training.There is a lot of out of work drivers out there.

all the best

Yer i have looked at starting on vans and working up but no one will take me on because im 18 and alot of there insurances are 21 or 25.

Thanks for your help.

Any ideas in the kent area of companys that do have 18 year old van drivers

Ash

:stuck_out_tongue:
Hi and welcome to trucknet !
Its good to see young guys that wanni get out there and drive for a living ?
if you get a chance on vans or drivers mate etc then go for it, cos we all gotti start somewhere,
I started driving a transit box van when i was 19 doing local delivery work in the glasgow area,
Just had my 40th birthday and i’m still working for them ?
The company i work for put me through my hgv and paid for my medicals etc a long time ago
So just keep looking and trying for what you want !!

Best bit of advice I can give, is go knocking on doors when companies open back up after the new year break, and put your face about seeing who is where and if they can offer you a break. It’s a lot harder for a company to ignore someone who is standing there talking to them than it is to file a cv/letter in the bin or say they’ll call you back. Make a nuisance of yourself in the most professional way possible, and be ready to start there and then if they need it :wink:

It depends on who you’re training with, I suggest seeing as you’ve got your car license, To try to get on apprenticeship for Driving Vehicle Goods a free way of getting your hgv license and experience at the same time :wink:

I know hargreaves training do the DGV apprenticeship because they phoned me the other week asking if i wanted to do it :frowning: If only i had my license! LOL. Good luck with it!!

thanks johnnytruckfest :smiley:

hey all. Update. I have been for an assesment drive with gorden springate up at detling. Reli enjoyed it. Gonna go for my medical and get learning. So hopefuly in about 3-4months i should have passed fingers crossed. Oh this is for my class 2 (rigid)

Good luck! :smiley:

Good luck with it

Good luck with it but I’m interested to know how this happened:

I have been for an assesment drive with gorden springate up at detling. Reli enjoyed it. Gonna go for my medical and get learning.

If the assessment was on the road you would need a provisional licence which means you’ve already had your medical. So the assessment was either off-road or illegal.

But good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

they use a big show ground and i drove round that it has white lines painted and what so ever lol.

Ash

That’s excellent. A brilliant way of getting a taste of what is to come. All the best with it. Pete :laughing: :laughing: